U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2015, 09:26 AM

5 posts, read 4,888 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Columbus, Ohio and need input on where to rent an apartment and places I should avoid renting an apartment. I am a single female so safety along with affordability is certainly a priority. I am looking to spend no more than $700 per month and will be working at two locations, one in far north Columbus and the other in northeast Columbus (about 20 minutes apart). I have been looking in the Delaware and Lewis Center area, but commute time to work especially to northeast Columbus is a concern for me, however I don't start until 9am and not sure exactly what time the morning rush hour is around for. Any advice is certainly appreciated. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2015, 09:40 AM

12,800 posts, read 12,841,756 times
Morning rush is about the same time in Columbus as it is most places, say between 6am-8am.

If you want to live as close to work as possible (you didn't exactly give the locations), I would look into Westerville, Dublin, Worthington and Powell also. Those are all safe northern suburbs and you may be able to find something in one of them.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:49 PM

I won't have to be at work until 9am so if rush hour is slim to none by then, then I won't mind having a longer commute to work. I will be working fulltime but split between two locations. The first being just outside of the I-270 outer loop by North High Street and the second being in East Columbus by Civic Park just North of East Broad Street. These locations themselves are about 20 minutes apart.

Thanks for the info!

Old 05-27-2015, 08:10 PM

12,800 posts, read 12,841,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanges24 View Post
I won't have to be at work until 9am so if rush hour is slim to none by then, then I won't mind having a longer commute to work. I will be working fulltime but split between two locations. The first being just outside of the I-270 outer loop by North High Street and the second being in East Columbus by Civic Park just North of East Broad Street. These locations themselves are about 20 minutes apart.

Thanks for the info!
Worthington is right at 270 and N. High. There's some construction there right now, but it should be wrapping up later this year from what I understand.

Old 05-28-2015, 12:02 AM

796 posts, read 2,086,439 times
Rush hour seems to push into the 9am hour at least on 315 and 23 northbound.

Any of the northern suburbs though really should be fine for you. Worthington, Upper Arlington, or in Columbus but near UA, if you can find something in your price range. Dublin is a little far west for you to make the trip to Broad Street, depending where the apartment is in Dublin.

If you live in Delaware there is some rural/open area between Delaware and the Columbus metro area... its a nice town, but its really not contiguous with Columbus.

Old 05-28-2015, 02:51 PM

Thanks everyone! Currently my area of interest is now on Westerville/New Albany since it is 15 minutes east of site 1 that I will be working at in Worthington and 15 minutes north of my 2nd work location in East Columbus.

Any information about areas or apartment communities to avoid in these areas?

Old 05-29-2015, 12:33 AM

96 posts, read 134,754 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone! Currently my area of interest is now on Westerville/New Albany since it is 15 minutes east of site 1 that I will be working at in Worthington and 15 minutes north of my 2nd work location in East Columbus.

Any information about areas or apartment communities to avoid in these areas?
Unless it's immediately around Easton Town Center, newbuild development running close to the eastern stretch of 270, or City of Westerville ...I would generally avoid areas inside 270 on the Northeast side.

There are some OK pockets inside 270 on the Northeast side - several leafy well kept 1970's tract home neighborhoods and some OK apartment complexes - but there's also a lot of blighted pockets inside 270 on the Northeast side (EAST of 71 and inside 270 north of Morse). A lot of apartment complexes EAST of 71 along Morse and 161 are section 8 and the crime is higher than average.

I would personally be OK with living in the areas I mentioned on the Northeast side inside 270. But you're an out-of-towner so you might not know what's what.

Old 05-29-2015, 12:44 AM

Gahanna around Hamilton and Morse (East of 270) might be a good option to check out. It's the area immediately south of New Albany. (New Albany's pricey I would be surprised if you could find anything @ $700 or less)

Gahanna is very clean. Quiet. Low crime. Tons of newer shopping. Several nice gyms. Easy jump onto 270, 670, or the 161 extension east of 270.

I live downtown but I sometimes go out to Hamilton & Morse to do my big box store shopping. The stores in Gahanna are super clean, people are nice (and clean), and the area is really laid back / relaxing / easy compared to other suburban shopping strips of Columbus.

Last edited by OccasionalCommentary2020; 05-29-2015 at 01:40 AM..

Old 05-29-2015, 02:00 AM

Quote:
I am moving to Columbus, Ohio and need input on where to rent an apartment and places I should avoid renting an apartment. I am a single female so safety along with affordability is certainly a priority. I am looking to spend no more than $700 per month and will be working at two locations, one in far north Columbus and the other in northeast Columbus (about 20 minutes apart). I have been looking in the Delaware and Lewis Center area, but commute time to work especially to northeast Columbus is a concern for me, however I don't start until 9am and not sure exactly what time the morning rush hour is around for. Any advice is certainly appreciated. Thanks!
You're looking at areas around the northeast quadrant of 270 where the rush hour traffic is the worst with the massive reconstruction of the northern tier of 270. The north and Northeast stretches of 270 tend to be the most congested during rush.

With that, don't rule out areas along 315 south of 270 (often considered the Northwest Side). Bethel and Henderson roads west of 315 are kind of dated but both areas are super clean, generally very safe, and affordable compared to the new build construction in the newer suburbs. I lived around Henderson Road for several mos and it was super convenient and the traffic wasn't at all bad.
(I lived at Governor's Square. It's very 1970's colonial looking with huge old trees and 2 swimming pools. Residents were mix of post college grads, Indian immigrants with kids (probably OSU grad students), and empty nesters. But it's very clean and they often have several vacancies because the complex is massive)

Pretty much anything along 315 from OSU out to 270 is going to be clean and safe and easy to get in and out of most times of day. The only caveat is 315 northbound during the evening rush = it's bumper to bumper misery.

Also, 315 southbound connects to 670 and 70 giving you multiple options for driving over to the east side.

I've often felt that areas inside 270 are some of the easiest areas to get around trafficwise.

Old 05-29-2015, 09:37 AM

Thanks everyone! I will definitely be checking out Governours Square and other apartments surrounding that area by Upper Arlington. Can anyone give me information as to the area around Hideaway Apartments as I am also considering that apartment community as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or