U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2015, 02:13 PM

19 posts, read 22,974 times

Advertisements

My thoughts: I don't want to sound anti automobile. I own a car and I drive. I just want to speak from the perspective of the group that has the most to lose.
I agree we need to create pedestrian/bike friendly streets. Your Broad Street example is a good one. I know much of Broad Street has few lights and multiple lanes. Cars regularly speed when there isn't much traffic. I'm especially sensitive to this because recently, while cycling on Broad Street, my husband was struck from behind by a car. His bike was totaled but fortunately he only had minor injuries. He was obeying traffic laws, wearing safety equipment and high visibility clothing at midday. That section of Broad is labeled as bike friendly. Another example, last night while riding our bikes home around 9:30pm a truck made a cross left in front of us even though we had the right of way and were using headlights. The truck almost struck two pedestrians in the crosswalk. The driver yelled at the pedestrians and they pointed out that they had the walk signal and also the right of way. Perhaps the driver was distracted or inattentive. It could have cost someone their life.
I have noticed that towns along major bike trails have a different attitude toward cyclists. I have also found that certain Columbus neighborhoods are more courteous to cyclists. In those areas the drivers slow down and give the minimum 3 foot distance. I'm grateful for the many bike groups in Columbus who are taking to the streets each week. I applaud the group who invited the planners of the 4th and Summit Street bike lanes to ride around Columbus to experience first hand the challenges cyclists have while sharing the road. We still have a long way to go.
As a cyclist, I am aware of the needs of someone who is not surrounded by thousands of pounds of metal and plastic. As a driver, I realize there are cyclists who don't always pay attention or just ignore the law, basic safety and fail to use common sense. Mistakes have been made by both sides. I hope that education will change that.
Here's an article from February this year in The Dispatch. It describes reducing lanes and increasing congestion, while increasing bike and pedestrian safety. I believe this is the thing you were talking about. Perhaps there is hope for Columbus yet. New bike lanes designed to slow car traffic | The Columbus Dispatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 08:41 PM

688 posts, read 864,747 times
Certainly not as feasible in downtown, the preferred way to accompany cyclists is the concept of 'complete streets' where there is a separate bike/walking trail along the street. An example of this can be found in New Albany where the subdivisions are set back a hundred feet allowing ample room to construct multi-use trails. Certain streets in Westerville and Gahanna have been retrofitted to allow for a similar concept though the buffer between the road and the trail is often narrower.

One thing that I feel is both not courteous and unsafe is when a dozen of more cyclists get together and ride on the street. In may cases they are taking up the entire lane or the length of the bicycle convoy is so lengthy it makes passing unsafe. One or two cyclists is not a big deal but eventually someone in these large groups is going to get hurt.

Old 08-26-2015, 05:53 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,032,854 times
Clintonville is working on something progressive for once: a network of bike boulevards connecting major destinations together which will be implemented in two phases. They're calling them "greenways" based on Portland's model, which I'm surprised they use interchangeably with bike boulevards.

In Minneapolis, there is a huge distinction between the two: greenways have no motor traffic on them, save at crossing intersections. Existing greenways like Midtown and Loring along with the planned one in North for 20-30 blocks are free of cars spewing toxic fumes, hence the term, "greenway".

There are a few routes that are headscratchers for the Clintonville plan, since they last only a few blocks and dead end, but overall it's a huge improvement and the city should take the initiative to get implement similar networks in all other neighborhoods.

Clintonville residents seek

More info at:

Clintonville Neighborhood Greenways

Old 09-02-2015, 05:52 PM

19 posts, read 22,974 times
I agree, if it's a large group, unless it's a race, there's no reason to not to occasionally pull off onto a side street or parking lot to allow for traffic relief. It's a courtesy for others.

Old 09-17-2015, 06:03 PM

Here's another unnecessary death due to building a street system based on the ridiculous assumption that all drivers are law-abiding 100% of the time. In this case a man was turning in front of oncoming traffic. Sawmill is a 45 (50?) MPH road. From Bethel to 270 it's a 3 mile stretch which takes (according to Google Maps) 9 minutes to drive. By bike going at a fraction of that speed at around 15: only 6 minutes more. Lanes here could be narrowed and speeds adjusted accordingly for 30 MPH to be the speed that motorists are comfortable driving. It would add two, maybe three minutes onto the drive, but the consequences of poor driving choices would be minimized. And isn't that worth saving lives?

WBNS 10TV : One Person Killed In Northwest Columbus Crash

Last edited by Mplsite; 09-17-2015 at 06:52 PM..

Old 10-29-2015, 08:07 AM

I've mostly only biked across Olentangy River Rd, rarely on it aside from King Ave to Lennox and even a short stretch is more than enough. It's absolutely ludicrous that the only bikeway on the other side of the river from the city's most popular is essentially a street level highway when there is literally a real highway right next door. Lanes should be reduced and narrowed, protected bike lanes or a path with physical barriers should be built, and these new designs should yield speeds of no more than 25 MPH.

There needs to be a real option for those on the other side of the river instead of a high speed highway with no wide shoulder as the only north-south route in the area. The only question is, how many more unnecessary deaths before traffic engineers realize that they're actually designing streets for highly error prone motorists and how many more before local citizens call for change?

Police identify two men who die after car, bicycle collide | NBC4i.com

Old 11-18-2015, 08:23 PM

If it's not a pedestrian, a cyclist, a utility pole, or a bus stop, it's a pawn shop. In case traffic engineers didn't notice, designing perfect roads with deadly speeds for perfect drivers doesn't work in reality where imperfect drivers are found in abundance.

Pickup truck crashes into Hudson Street pawn shop | NBC4i.com

Old 11-19-2015, 03:55 AM

113 posts, read 80,388 times
Columbus Police have the most full-time bike officers in the county according to local media.

Does that mean anything to you Mplsite?

Old 11-19-2015, 04:09 AM

113 posts, read 80,388 times
BTW: Ive owned a Trek. I personally do not feel safe biking along cars on any street in America.

Old 11-19-2015, 09:06 AM

No, it really doesn't. Until many more streets are redesigned for safer slower speeds you're going to have local motorists running into things on and off the street.

And if there's no street in America you feel safe riding on, then you're doing it wrong. Gay St in Columbus is great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or