U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-18-2015, 09:15 AM
 
Location: MPLS
1,066 posts, read 1,037,333 times
Reputation: 659

Advertisements

Quote:
Here's our map of protected bike lanes for 2020. Where is Columbus'? The city page on protected bike lanes only mentions Summit-4th, no such plan exists. That could be it for all we know.
As you can see I asked for a map of protected bike lanes and you were unable to provide one. No one here is fooled by your bogus answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-18-2015, 04:58 PM
 
Location: MPLS
1,066 posts, read 1,037,333 times
Reputation: 659
Still waiting for that map of protected bike lanes for Columbus. Or even a protected bike lanes goal by 20-something. I'll gladly eat my words if you can find it, but judging by the fact that the city's website has none listed I doubt you'll have the pleasure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2015, 12:36 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,797 posts, read 12,824,597 times
Reputation: 5469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Still waiting for that map of protected bike lanes for Columbus. Or even a protected bike lanes goal by 20-something. I'll gladly eat my words if you can find it, but judging by the fact that the city's website has none listed I doubt you'll have the pleasure.
There are PDF files on the Columbus government site related to the 2008 plan, as well as updates since then. There are also maps of existing conditions, as well as definitions for what the map I provided has listed. Why don't you look, it's not that hard. You claimed there was no plan, I provided evidence that there is. Since you will never admit to being wrong, you're simply going to go around in circles changing the argument. This is the same kind of conversation we always have. You make a dumb claim, I provide evidence that it isn't true, and then you say something else as if you never said it to begin with. Because, for the billionth time, you aren't really interested in the truth. You're interested in your agenda. For whatever ridiculous reason, you'll probably spend the rest of your life hating a city you don't even live in based on something as mindlessly pointless as the number of bike lanes, as if that is literally the only thing that matters in terms of quality of life. I have been and continue to be totally insane to try to debate you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2015, 03:31 PM
 
Location: MPLS
1,066 posts, read 1,037,333 times
Reputation: 659
Where is it? I asked for a protected bike lanes map and goal and you still can't find it. All you have is a PDF which doesn't have protected bike lanes and a plan that doesn't lay out a protected bike lane network. You don't have to admit you're wrong; we can see very clearly that you are.

Putting the lives of people before cars is hardly a trivial quality of life matter. It's the difference between life and death. Why you even bother defending a city that insists on putting cars first over humans virtually each and every time I'll never understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2015, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,797 posts, read 12,824,597 times
Reputation: 5469
Some things you claimed:

"...no bike-pedestrian only bridges over the rivers (we have two and they're lovely)."

There are 8 bike/pedestrian only bridges along the Olentangy Trail alone. I know there is also at least that one that connects to a Hilltop section, and there are another 2 planned for Downtown- 1 over the Scioto connecting North Bank to the Scioto Peninsula and another over the Olentangy connecting Arena West with the Olentangy Trail. I didn't look anywhere else, but I believe there are some on the Alum Creek Trail as well. Almost all of these are within Columbus city limits. Some of the suburbs have them as well. So you are wrong about that.

"There's a huge difference between Columbus' approach of 'it'll get done at some point in the future...maybe' vs Minneapolis' 'here's our goal and here's what we're doing to get there and we're starting now' approach."

Except that a plan, no matter what time frame it is, is an approach of "it'll get done at some point in the future". Both cities have stated goals and plans that they are executing, with many projects yet to happen. There is literally no difference in that regard. You merely create a false narrative because that is your agenda.

"Cities can't tackle everything at once, but only some cities are tackling their problems. Columbus is not one of them; it's too busy just talking about it."

Again, that is basically a lie. Even if you believe Columbus isn't doing enough or isn't doing it fast enough, it is factually addressing this issue. There is a plan, and it is being implemented. That cannot be remotely argued otherwise. That you don't like the plan does not mean there is no plan.

As for a map of protected lanes only, such a map doesn't exist- yet. There are maps showing the variety of bike/pedestrian friendly plans, but not a specific one that only shows one kind. For the record, I am in the process of making a map that shows the following:

-All types of existing bike infrastructure, including dedicated lanes, striped lanes and sharrowed lanes.
-All existing multi-use paths.
-All under construction and planned sidewalks (since you say that is also being ignored).
-All under construction or planned multi-use paths.
-All under construction or planned bike infrastructure.

I plan to make other maps regarding existing and planned transit routes.

I am doing this because I noticed that the maps available on Columbus' government site are not up to date on existing infrastructure. Looking at Google Maps, it appears that several projects not listed have been completed. So you might have to be patient for a full map of everything. I will certainly post it here when I'm done, but it looks to take some time.


BTW, on your link about Minneapolis' plan for protected bike lanes, it says that there was only 1 mile of protected lanes at the time the article was written in April. The way you thump your chest about it, that's pretty surprising. I also noticed that it appears that a lot of the routes for the dedicated lanes started out originally as painted lanes or sharrows. So it does actually appear that cities can upgrade, so this would appear to defeat your entire complaint about there not being enough protected lanes in Columbus' plan. It too, can upgrade.

Last edited by jbcmh81; 12-19-2015 at 04:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2015, 04:53 PM
 
Location: MPLS
1,066 posts, read 1,037,333 times
Reputation: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
As for a map of protected lanes only, such a map doesn't exist
There it is! (I'll address the other points later, but this'll do for now.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2015, 09:17 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,797 posts, read 12,824,597 times
Reputation: 5469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
There it is! (I'll address the other points later, but this'll do for now.)
You seem to have missed (read: ignored) the rest of that, where there are no maps that include only a single type of anything, let alone protected bike lanes. All of them maps have everything, as will mine. Again, a lack of a map is not an indication of a lack of a plan. You do get that, right?


Anyway, off to a Christmas party in real life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2015, 09:51 PM
 
Location: MPLS
1,066 posts, read 1,037,333 times
Reputation: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
You seem to have missed (read: ignored) the rest of that, where there are no maps that include only a single type of anything, let alone protected bike lanes. All of them maps have everything, as will mine. Again, a lack of a map is not an indication of a lack of a plan. You do get that, right?


Anyway, off to a Christmas party in real life.
No, those maps don't list protected bike lanes. Boy, you just can't admit when you're wrong. Feliz navidad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2015, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
12,797 posts, read 12,824,597 times
Reputation: 5469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
No, those maps don't list protected bike lanes. Boy, you just can't admit when you're wrong. Feliz navidad.
Right, they don't specifically mention them, yet they were just installed on Summit, indicating that they are just being called something else. That is why I am making my own map. Updated with today's actual conditions, along with any plans I can find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2015, 01:50 PM
 
Location: MPLS
1,066 posts, read 1,037,333 times
Reputation: 659
Seems the only problem with these is that they need to remove more parking near intersections.

New bike lanes causing confusion north of Downtown | The Columbus Dispatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top