U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 06:22 AM

79 posts, read 49,179 times

Advertisements

I think if one wants to be mad at anyone, it's OSU. All those roads and no bike lanes at all. So many students use bikes, and yet the only thing OSU does is put up more signs and roadblocks to try and keep bikers off of sidewalks. No help otherwise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 08:17 AM

1,064 posts, read 1,031,781 times
While Columbus boosters are busy ignoring these very preventable tragedies and downplaying Columbus' lack of safe infrastructure for non-motorists, a human life has been extinguished recently due to a combination of city failings when it comes to pedestrian infrastructure.

Gender Rd is atrocious and its design should be illegal; in fact it's definitely not ADA compliant and this is not the first death of someone merely trying to walk along the road where there is no sidewalk. I take that back: there is a sidewalk just north of where this crash took place at the next intersection. Here it is, all three feet of it and it has curbs on each side preventing anyone in a wheelchairs from doing anything except cross the street again. Here is what you have instead of a sidewalk: a narrow grassy slope to do a balancing act right next to traffic moving at deadly speeds and no street lighting. Once you reach the part of Gender Rd that becomes a bridge there is no sidewalk along its entirety on either side, but a narrow uneven patch of dirt and grass sandwiched between heavy traffic and a guardrail. How such bridges are even legal when they don't accommodate all legal users I have no idea.

What's even more disappointing is the fact that no one, not the mayor, not the general public, nor Columbus boosters are discussing actions to prevent such tragedies from occurring again. Once again, this lone ex-Columbusite is the only one to take in the gravity of the situation and look for solutions.

The media mentioned that police are looking into whether road conditions, lighting, and speed was a factor; it should be blatantly obvious that of course it was all of the above, how could it not be? First of all, there needs to be an uninterrupted sidewalk or multi-use path (MUP) all along Gender Rd in Columbus (the city would have to work with Canal Winchester to fill in their small section) on at least one side of the road. If two is "too much", then surely one of the most important well off cities in the USA can afford just one. Secondly, there needs to be lighting installed all along the sidewalk. Third, there looks to be insufficient space for any sidewalk there without pedestrians having fast traffic buzz them, and god forbid if they trip. The best option would be a separate MUP bridge alongside the the existing one on the other side of the guardail. Sure, that will be more expensive, but that's what happens when you build infrastructure incorrectly in the first place; it can cost a lot more to fix it. Hopefully saving future lives is considered worth it.

Pedestrian Hit And Killed By Car In East Columbus | WBNS-10TV Columbus, Ohio

Last edited by Mplsite; 12-23-2015 at 08:28 AM..

Old 12-23-2015, 08:35 AM

12,785 posts, read 12,759,016 times
Hey guys, did you know Columbus has a super secret, nefarious plan to kill all pedestrians? I didn't know this, but thanks to everyone's favorite MSP poster, the story is just breaking! Can anything stop the Coleman/Ginther murderous machine?

Old 12-23-2015, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Hey guys, did you know Columbus has a super secret, nefarious plan to kill all pedestrians? I didn't know this, but thanks to everyone's favorite MSP poster, the story is just breaking! Can anything stop the Coleman/Ginther murderous machine?
Columbus built areas designed to be dangerous, even deadly, for pedestrians. All you have to offer is some snark over peoples' deaths from such infrastructure; I'm glad I'm not you.

The fact remains that these areas were built up decades ago: Gender, Brice, Hamilton, etc. There was money for roads and water hookups then, but decades later still can't find money for sidewalks? Only the most oblivious would buy such an excuse. Look at that sorry excuse of a sidewalk I linked to and just try to justify it with a straight face, you can't.

The current layout on Gender is even dangerous for motorists. Take this hit and run incident where a motorist waiting at a light on the road was rear-ended and killed by a motorist driving at a deadly speed.

And do you offer any solutions? Of course not! Columbus is perfect as is; you love the burbs! Everyone should drive: or die trying! Hey, I think I just came up with Columbus' new slogan.

Old 12-23-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Columbus built areas designed to be dangerous, even deadly, for pedestrians. All you have to offer is some snark over peoples' deaths from such infrastructure; I'm glad I'm not you.

The fact remains that these areas were built up decades ago: Gender, Brice, Hamilton, etc. There was money for roads and water hookups then, but decades later still can't find money for sidewalks? Only the most oblivious would buy such an excuse. Look at that sorry excuse of a sidewalk I linked to and just try to justify it with a straight face, you can't.

The current layout on Gender is even dangerous for motorists. Take this hit and run incident where a motorist waiting at a light on the road was rear-ended and killed by a motorist driving at a deadly speed.

And do you offer any solutions? Of course not! Columbus is perfect as is; you love the burbs! Everyone should drive: or die trying! Hey, I think I just came up with Columbus' new slogan.
I know it's the holidays, but I think you've had enough eggnog.

Old 12-26-2015, 03:13 PM

And as usual, the status quo = progress as long as it pertains to Columbus. You might want to look up the definition of that term, since it most certainly is not the same thing.

Old 12-27-2015, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
And as usual, the status quo = progress as long as it pertains to Columbus. You might want to look up the definition of that term, since it most certainly is not the same thing.
Who are you even talking to? Quotes are your friend.

Old 12-28-2015, 05:31 PM

You can't even justify your position because it's clearly unjustifiable. It's obvious that Columbus designs its streets for deadly speeds and sometimes doesn't even bother to give non-motorist users any safer option to walking on the edge of these dangerous roads.

Old 12-28-2015, 06:20 PM

Exclusive video of Columbus streets!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8-x5ORZe70

Old 07-23-2016, 01:30 PM

Have to give kudos to Columbus police and a local media outlet calling it what this is: not an accident. If you look at the design of this street it's extremely hostile to pedestrians with hardly any signaled intersections with a painted crosswalk. Pedestrians are expected to add several minutes to make ridiculous deotours just to cross the street alive, but inconveniencing a motorist for a minute is unacceptable.

Columbus Police: Woman found hit by a motor vehicle was murdered

Columbus Police: Woman found hit by a motor vehicle was murdered | NBC4i.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or