U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2016, 01:36 PM

1,064 posts, read 1,030,604 times

Advertisements

Another victim of Columbus' war on pedestrians. No wonder she was hit crossing Brice North of Fussing: there are no pedestrian accommodations whatsoever.

Pedestrian killed in Far East Side hit-skip | The Columbus Dispatch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 03:25 AM

21 posts, read 14,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Have to give kudos to Columbus police and a local media outlet calling it what this is: not an accident. If you look at the design of this street it's extremely hostile to pedestrians with hardly any signaled intersections with a painted crosswalk. Pedestrians are expected to add several minutes to make ridiculous deotours just to cross the street alive, but inconveniencing a motorist for a minute is unacceptable.

Columbus Police: Woman found hit by a motor vehicle was murdered

Columbus Police: Woman found hit by a motor vehicle was murdered | NBC4i.com
They're not calling it a murder as a way of commenting on pedestrian safety. She was murdered somewhere else and her body was dumped in the street.

Old 07-25-2016, 08:37 AM

1,691 posts, read 1,229,742 times
There are certainly parts of Columbus that could be more pedestrian friendly. In particular I think the Linden area off of Cleveland avenue is extremely auto-oriented despite being a low-income neighborhood that would benefit greatly from increased public transit and walkability. Part of the "Smart City" grant is supposed to help address that issue so hopefully we will see progress in that area going forward.

In terms of improvements I have seen they just recently made a giant bike lane stretching the entirety of Summit street. Ohio State also has taken efforts to increase pedestrian safety with their "share the road campaign". I also believe there has been an expansion of the "Co Go" bike share system.

I don't think that Columbus is "waging a war" on pedestrians. I think we are an autocentric city that will undoubtedly face growing pains as we try to transition away from that in our core areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or