U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 09:11 AM

860 posts, read 633,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb142 View Post
Thanks again, my son lived in Blacklick before New Albany so kind of know that area also.
I would definitely pick Blacklick over Independence Village then. No contest. Plus, most of "Blacklick" is either in Gahanna-Jefferson, Reynoldsburg or SW Licking schools. You may not have kids, but when it comes time for resale, houses in the Columbus school district can move very slow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2015, 02:54 PM

12 posts, read 15,067 times
Since you're so knowledgable about the Columbus area, can you tell me anything about the North Linden/Pontiac Park area of Columbus? Just saw a cute house for sale (via Internet) in that area.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:06 PM

1,821 posts, read 3,894,443 times
Quote:
Since you're so knowledgable about the Columbus area, can you tell me anything about the North Linden/Pontiac Park area of Columbus? Just saw a cute house for sale (via Internet) in that area.
I've heard through these threads some parts of Linden are getting better, but the vibe I am feeling is it is just at the start of its gentrification process. When I lived in Columbus 5-7 years ago, it was a pretty crime-ridden area.

BUT: As I mentioned, gentrification seems to be occurring. Linden is also a large area and one I didn't venture into much personally. I would stick to areas like Blacklick / Reynoldsburg / Gahanna since it is closer to NA and you sound more familiar with those areas. Again, areas outside Columbus schools on that end of town would be much more desirable, especially considering resale.

I just found an apartment on Hamilton between Morse and Havens Corner. That area seemed busy, well kept and not overly expensive. The shopping around Morse and Hamilton seemed decent with Kroger, Giant Eagle and Meijer all looking well kept. I also looked around Sawmill (too far from airport), Polaris (again, far from CMH and really expensive) and anything close to downtown, Short North, Victorian Village was way, way out of my price range.

Old 06-13-2015, 04:15 PM

I'm not even sure this house is in North Linden neighborhood. The street name is Atwood Terrace and it's close to Oakland nursery, Pontiac Park and Brookhaven High is a mile away. Trulia also says it's a low crime area. I get more confused the more I look at all these neighborhoods!

Old 06-13-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Unless you're prepared to wrap your home in Kevlar, I don't recommend it. Again, that's going to be Columbus Schools, that's strike two. Stick with the suburban districts - when you have to sell, the houses go much quicker.

As a general rule of thumb, if you stay north of I-70 and outside I-270 it's hard to go wrong. Inside 270, there are also good neighborhoods, but there are bad ones too.

I understand the charm of an old home, but I am prejudiced toward new homes - especially if it's in a working class area. At $120,000, that's what I would do - newer.

Quote:
I'm not even sure this house is in North Linden neighborhood. The street name is Atwood Terrace and it's close to Oakland nursery, Pontiac Park and Brookhaven High is a mile away. Trulia also says it's a low crime area. I get more confused the more I look at all these neighborhoods!
Linden is mostly ghetto. As the other poster said, there are some areas that are up and coming, but you would be somewhat of a pioneer. If that's your thing, more power to you. I don't need the grief.

Also, if this matters to you, Linden is mostly black and poor. (Someone can correct me if there are nice parts of Linden I don't know of.) Nothing wrong with that if that's what you want, but , again, I don't need the grief.

Old 06-13-2015, 05:44 PM

How fortuitous. The current headline in the Dispatch:

'Ugly scene': 2 men, 2 women shot to death in South Linden house
The Columbus Dispatch • Saturday June 13, 2015 4:23 PM

A woman collapses, overcome with emotion near the scene of a shooting in South Linden.

Four people were shot to death this morning in a South Linden house. ..........

Old 06-13-2015, 08:12 PM

No I'm not looking for grief at all. This house I saw must be on one of the nicer streets because it was very well kept and the other houses on the street all looked well cared for albeit older. Don't want to take any chances though. I just can't seem to find any suburban houses that we can actually afford but maybe visiting soon will help. Thanks for your information.

Old 06-16-2015, 12:14 AM

166 posts, read 244,567 times
Quote:
No I'm not looking for grief at all. This house I saw must be on one of the nicer streets because it was very well kept and the other houses on the street all looked well cared for albeit older. Don't want to take any chances though. I just can't seem to find any suburban houses that we can actually afford but maybe visiting soon will help. Thanks for your information.
The older part of Gahanna should have some homes in your price range. Check just outside of 270 around where 670 terminates.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:43 AM

211 posts, read 263,626 times
Yikes, I've lived in some real holes (E 3rd St DYT holla!) and even I wouldn't live over there in Linden unless I had to. I'm sure there's a nice block or two but any time I've gone through there I wasted no time in getting out. To be blunt about it, Whitehall isn't so nice either but I would consider living there under the right circumstances (close to work, didn't have to worry about resell, etc). I pick that as a recommendation for you for these reasons:

- Lots of 1 story SF homes to choose from
- Lots of homes listed around and even under $100k
- Still convenient to nice amenities in Bexley and served by a decent Target
- On the Western edge of Cbus, maybe 15-20 minutes to your family in New Albany?
- Like I said, it isn't *nice* by any stretch of the imagination but I would expect to be able to live there without being broken into and beaten.

I didn't see where you mentioned where you are coming from, what you're used to, and what your price range is but from what I gathered in your posts that's what I got.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:32 AM

Default reynoldsburg

I am living in Georgia now for the last two years. It's a beautiful semi-rural area and our house is quite nice, but housing prices are still a whole lot cheaper here than in Ohio. It's just time to be closer to my family. I'm originally from NE Ohio and then lived in Arizona for almost 10 years. I think we will start working with a realtor and focus our search on suburbs such as Pickerington, Reynoldsburg, Westerville, Hilliard areas. We're trying to stay around the $120,000 or lower range and really aren't looking for anything fancy so hopefully will find something decent in a good neighborhood that's fairly close to New Albany.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or