Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2015, 09:02 AM

12 posts, read 20,257 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My husband and I are considering a move to the Columbus area to finally be close to family. My son lives in New Albany which is way too expensive for us. Am considering Reynoldsburg/Pickerington area. We are 60ish, hubby is retired and I work from home. I've noticed Independence Village area in Reynoldsburg seems to have some very affordable homes. Any thoughts on this area? Looking for a single family home, not a condo. Also any thoughts on Pickerington neighborhoods would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 09:41 AM

Really 51 views and no responses? Please someone I need info!

Old 06-08-2015, 11:35 AM

166 posts, read 341,137 times
Independence Village is a declining area that I would avoid. Reynoldsburg in general is in decline actually, although there are still some really nice areas that will remain stable. Pickerington is fine. I would suggest Gahanna and Westerville before Pickerington though. Both are closer to New Albany and more convenient to downtown.

Old 06-08-2015, 03:11 PM

488 posts, read 855,823 times
Check out some of the neighborhoods in Gahanna like Hunter's Ridge or those off of Hamilton between Havens Corners and Johnstown Road. Gahanna is closest to New Albany of the suburbs you listed and it's a lot nicer than Reynoldsburg in my opinion. Another spot you might look are some of the housing developments north of 161 that are a stone's throw from New Albany (and may have New Albany addresses), but aren't in the New Albany school district.

Old 06-08-2015, 06:45 PM

Thank you both for the good information. We are visiting soon and will have to check out those areas.

Old 06-09-2015, 10:20 PM

688 posts, read 1,109,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb142 View Post
Hello,
My husband and I are considering a move to the Columbus area to finally be close to family. My son lives in New Albany which is way too expensive for us. Am considering Reynoldsburg/Pickerington area. We are 60ish, hubby is retired and I work from home. I've noticed Independence Village area in Reynoldsburg seems to have some very affordable homes. Any thoughts on this area? Looking for a single family home, not a condo. Also any thoughts on Pickerington neighborhoods would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!
You mentioned SF home. What sort of parameters do you desire? Sq. ft., ranch, two story, # bedroooms, etc. and of course price point?

Old 06-10-2015, 02:30 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,113,105 times
Independence Village is actually within the City of Columbus and that area is old and declining. It is also Groveport-Madison Schools, which are okay but there are far better districts.

If you go further east along Tussing, there are homes within the City of Columbus but within the Pickerington School District. These homes are okay and at a lower price point and the Blacklick Trail runs right through there.

To be in Reynoldsburg proper means you have to be north of I-70 and East of Brice. Contrary to what people say, I don't think Reynoldsburg proper is that bad. I would compare it to old Grove City, but with more blacks living there. It's clean and affordable. Reynoldsburg Schools are average. Housing just off of McNaughten Road, and East of Reynoldsburg-New Albany Rd. is newer and not that bad. And Reynoldsburg-New Albany Rd. is a straight shot into New Albany.

Other places I would look at would be the southern end of Blacklick, which is basically north of Broad and east of Reynoldsburg-New Albany Rd. Some parts have been annexed to Columbus, but there are homes at lower price points through there. Likewise with Pataskala.

Stay north of I-70 (except for Pickerington) if your budget allows. Stay away from anything south of Livingston in Reynoldsburg. The SW part is ghetto - the rest of it not so bad. Avoid anything in Columbus Schools.

Old 06-10-2015, 10:44 PM

Default Reynoldsburg area

Thanks for all your input. Will check those areas out in July. Just want to stay in $120,000 range or lower. Would consider even a 2bd, 2 bd ranch style home with enough yard for a garden. An area around a river or creek would be nice too, but I'm probably asking too much for too little money.

Old 06-11-2015, 12:51 PM

1,062 posts, read 1,113,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb142 View Post
Thanks for all your input. Will check those areas out in July. Just want to stay in $120,000 range or lower. Would consider even a 2bd, 2 bd ranch style home with enough yard for a garden. An area around a river or creek would be nice too, but I'm probably asking too much for too little money.
Blacklick (the part in Columbus) should have homes within your price range, they are generally going to be newer than Independence Village and closer to New Albany. It's a straight shot up Reynoldsburg-New Albany Road.

Anything North of Broad and a little south of Broad you can't go wrong with (except for Columbus Schools).

homes dot com/for-sale/blacklick-oh/p3/?orderby=price%20asc

(I'm not advertising for anybody - I'm just trying to show you homes within your price point if this link survives.)

Old 06-11-2015, 05:16 PM

Thanks again, my son lived in Blacklick before New Albany so kind of know that area also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus