U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2015, 01:25 PM

11,026 posts, read 13,362,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
The walls and floors are thin so I could hear every single foot step. Kids running around everywhere. I could even hear people closing kitchen cabinets. Definitely live on the top floor and find out if they put cement between the floors. Most don't.

I am so sorry about your current situation. I feel your pain.
Well how widespread is this problem? Is this in ALL apartment complexes? In my current apartment building, the ceilings are so thin that I can hear every footstep the girl above me makes when she's walking around, and I can even hear her iPhone vibrate with EVERY text she receives. I think she leaves the phone on a table or something, and I can hear the vibrations. It's horrific.

I do not want to live on the top floor because (a) I don't want people hearing me and (b) living on the first floor is much more convenient for moving in and carrying in groceries, etc.

This problem, by the way is not exclusive to apartments in Columbus. It's in NYC and CT also, and probably EVERYWHERE. Virtually every apartment I've lived in has horrible soundproofing and you can hear everything through the walls and ceilings. Maybe I should just rent a house or townhouse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 02:33 PM

12,765 posts, read 12,741,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well how widespread is this problem? Is this in ALL apartment complexes? In my current apartment building, the ceilings are so thin that I can hear every footstep the girl above me makes when she's walking around, and I can even hear her iPhone vibrate with EVERY text she receives. I think she leaves the phone on a table or something, and I can hear the vibrations. It's horrific.

I do not want to live on the top floor because (a) I don't want people hearing me and (b) living on the first floor is much more convenient for moving in and carrying in groceries, etc.

This problem, by the way is not exclusive to apartments in Columbus. It's in NYC and CT also, and probably EVERYWHERE. Virtually every apartment I've lived in has horrible soundproofing and you can hear everything through the walls and ceilings. Maybe I should just rent a house or townhouse.
I don't think there is such a thing where you live in an apartment building and literally never hear a neighbor at least a few times. That's just part of living in a collective space. Living in apartments since I was 18, most of them in Columbus were very quiet, and just the very occasional soft thud from a neighbor was ever really heard. I know you may be prone to worry, but really, it's not an issue most places, especially, I imagine, in the Dublin area.

Old 06-22-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I don't think there is such a thing where you live in an apartment building and literally never hear a neighbor at least a few times. That's just part of living in a collective space. Living in apartments since I was 18, most of them in Columbus were very quiet, and just the very occasional soft thud from a neighbor was ever really heard. I know you may be prone to worry, but really, it's not an issue most places, especially, I imagine, in the Dublin area.
Dublin seems expensive, based on what I've seen. I want to stay under $1,200.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:20 PM

688 posts, read 862,989 times
Have you considered New Albany? There are loads of apartments between Morse and Thompson Rd. Some went up as recently as a year ago. Others are maybe five years old. Some of them are Lifestyles communities with amenities targeted toward a younger demographic. I would imagine there would be an LGBT presence if that is what you are looking for.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:22 PM

As long as it's not a complex full of college kids. I want a quiet, mature community to live in. Not elderly, but not with a party vibe.

Old 06-23-2015, 08:31 AM

12,765 posts, read 12,741,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
Have you considered New Albany? There are loads of apartments between Morse and Thompson Rd. Some went up as recently as a year ago. Others are maybe five years old. Some of them are Lifestyles communities with amenities targeted toward a younger demographic. I would imagine there would be an LGBT presence if that is what you are looking for.
New Albany would be a longer commute to Dublin, though. I'm not aware of much, if any, real LGBT population around New Albany. And it's expensive.

Perhaps NW Columbus. Would be cheaper than Dublin and still a nice area, and much closer to work.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:49 AM

Sadly, I don't think I will find the type of apartment that I'm looking for. I want a place that has absolutely no one above me or below me. There are places like this in CT. How can there not be any in Cbus metro?!?!

I'm talking about places like this. I used to live here and loved it:

One & Two Bedroom Townhomes near UConn; Vernon, CT - Santini Villa

Old 06-24-2015, 11:30 AM

1,691 posts, read 1,591,804 times
Around Henderson/Kenny there are tons of townhome complexes. They're not top of the line, but they run from 800-1000 a month and are an easy commute to Dublin. Here's an example I just pulled off CL: http://columbus.craigslist.org/apa/5042530138.html

Old 06-24-2015, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Around Henderson/Kenny there are tons of townhome complexes. They're not top of the line, but they run from 800-1000 a month and are an easy commute to Dublin. Here's an example I just pulled off CL: Gorgeous, spacious, conveniently located!
That's a beautiful place, but it doesn't look like an apartment that's specifically designated for rentals. It just looks like someone's condo that is owned by someone and wants to rent it out. I don't like that. I only like complexes in which 100% of the units are rental units only.

Old 06-24-2015, 01:21 PM

1,691 posts, read 1,591,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
That's a beautiful place, but it doesn't look like an apartment that's specifically designated for rentals. It just looks like someone's condo that is owned by someone and wants to rent it out. I don't like that. I only like complexes in which 100% of the units are rental units only.
In the area in which that unit is located there are many other townhome complexes that are specifically rentals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or