U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2015, 07:04 PM

11,029 posts, read 13,362,649 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. Pretty soon, I will be moving to start a new job in Dublin in a few weeks. Initially, I will be staying at an extended stay hotel for about a week or two while looking for an apartment in the metro area.

What I want is a rental unit that has NO other units above or below me, because I can't stand hearing people above me, or the people below me hearing me. Soundproofing is important. So, I am looking for a place that is more similar to a townhome. The units can be side-by-side or detached. I don't need a lot of space, but hopefully at least 600 sq ft. I don't want to have to walk up stairs and stuff like that just to get to my unit. Parking right up at my front door would be optimal. A washer and dryer included in the unit is a must!

I am looking to stay in the $800-1,100 price range, if possible. I want to be in a quiet area with no traffic noise or people walking around, but also not family oriented. Also, I am gay...if that even matters for anything.

One bedroom would be good, but two would be nice in case I have guests.

My friend suggested that I look at Camden Place Townhomes in Columbus, near the Tuttle Mall.

Any suggestions are appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2015, 08:22 AM

499 posts, read 899,329 times
Check out Karric Place in Dublin (ask for Carole!) and Village at Worthington Green on Hard Rd in Worthington.

I work in the apartment industry and have worked/lived for/at both of these companies and can highly recommend both of them.

I don't think either include washer/dryer, but you can rent a set for around $35 a month from Appliance Warehouse.

Old 06-21-2015, 11:22 AM

1,818 posts, read 3,888,080 times
The hardest obstacle you will face is finding a unit with a washer/dryer. Pretty much everything in the newer complexes out in the suburbs and new/renovated buildings closer to downtown don't include washer/dryer units. They do however, provide the connections and cmjones is right that most places will charge around $30-50 per month for both units.

Keep that in mind when budgeting. Also, if the specific unit doesn't have an attached garage, expect to pay for the detached garage at around $50+/month. Of course, if you had an attached garage, that cost gets factored into the rent anyways. Carports tend to run cheaper if that is an option / available.

Also, did you want to stay in Dublin? Close to Dublin? (Think Tuttle area, Worthington, Powell, NW Columbus) Or closer to downtown? (Victorian Village, downtown, Arena District, German Village) Just as an FYI, the last set of options will be hard to fit into your criteria for living.

Welcome to Columbus! And if you are wondering, no the gay thing doesn't really matter. Columbus has a sizable LGBTQ population.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:34 PM

I can do up to $1,200 max now. So now, can I get a decent place with a washer/dryer in the unit and in a quiet non-college oriented area?

Although I will be working in Dublin, I am okay with having a commute (assuming no traffic) up to about 25 minutes. But I don't want to end up living somewhere where LGBT people won't want to come and visit me because I'm too far or whatever.

One of my gay friends told me that LGBT people who live in the center of Cbus or Short North, etc. don't care to visit people in Dublin because it's considered too far. I don't know how true that is though.

Old 06-22-2015, 06:31 AM

4,444 posts, read 4,350,520 times
Have you downloaded any apps for apartments? They've got some good ones out there - sure beats those apartment guides they used to have at grocery stores...lol.

Also, it might not hurt to check out CL for folks renting out their townhouses - these would more likely have W/D in them, and you might get a better deal then in a managed complex.

Old 06-22-2015, 09:41 AM

12,765 posts, read 12,741,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I can do up to $1,200 max now. So now, can I get a decent place with a washer/dryer in the unit and in a quiet non-college oriented area?

Although I will be working in Dublin, I am okay with having a commute (assuming no traffic) up to about 25 minutes. But I don't want to end up living somewhere where LGBT people won't want to come and visit me because I'm too far or whatever.

One of my gay friends told me that LGBT people who live in the center of Cbus or Short North, etc. don't care to visit people in Dublin because it's considered too far. I don't know how true that is though.
Dublin isn't that far. Not every gay person lives in the Short North, anyway.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:31 AM

418 posts, read 419,004 times
Columbus has awful apartments. They look nice but the quality is soooooo bad. I have lived here a year and moved twice. My utilities are outrageous!!! My electric is American Power and Light which is a third party vendor and they are not regulated so your rates will be higher. Oh and I lived in Gahanna and New Albany. People here will not tell you the truth either because they are too "nice" or naive. Good luck!!

Old 06-22-2015, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Dublin isn't that far. Not every gay person lives in the Short North, anyway.
Yeah, the Short North is a very tiny area. It's just a very narrow strip, really. It's impossible for all gays to live there.

Based on Craigslist, I see some pretty decent apartments in places like Grandview Heights, Upper Arlington, Worthington, etc. I don't want to live somewhere that's very urban and a pain to find parking.

Old 06-22-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
Columbus has awful apartments. They look nice but the quality is soooooo bad. I have lived here a year and moved twice. My utilities are outrageous!!! My electric is American Power and Light which is a third party vendor and they are not regulated so your rates will be higher. Oh and I lived in Gahanna and New Albany. People here will not tell you the truth either because they are too "nice" or naive. Good luck!!
How is the quality so bad? Like, what specifically makes the quality bad?

The thing I REALLY want to avoid is ending up in a place where you can hear your neighbors through the walls, floors and ceilings. I will kill myself if that happens to me again, because that's the situation I'm in right now and I do NOT want to live in another apartment with poor soundproofing between units ever again.

Old 06-22-2015, 12:50 PM

418 posts, read 419,004 times
The walls and floors are thin so I could hear every single foot step. Kids running around everywhere. I could even hear people closing kitchen cabinets. Definitely live on the top floor and find out if they put cement between the floors. Most don't.

I am so sorry about your current situation. I feel your pain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or