U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 02:24 PM

418 posts, read 421,751 times

Advertisements

If you don't mind me asking OP, where are you from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 04:13 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,878,564 times
I guess I know what you mean, it gets kinda empty and lots of homeless people just kinda hang out. But I've never experienced anything bad not have any of my friends, at least that I've heard of.

Old 06-08-2015, 07:20 PM

53 posts, read 194,946 times
Hopefully the apartment projects at River South High Street, 250 North High, and The Julian when completed, will help liven up a part of downtown that really needs it. The mixed retail at street level should help as well. These projects that surround the Columbus Commons area is nice to see. This development which is away from the Short North and Arena District was much needed.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:15 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,502,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I guess I know what you mean, it gets kinda empty and lots of homeless people just kinda hang out. But I've never experienced anything bad not have any of my friends, at least that I've heard of.
It sounds a bit like Vancouver's Downtown Eastside then. It's not dangerous unless you have to live there, but there is a lot of deprivation.

Old 06-08-2015, 08:39 PM

248 posts, read 511,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
No but I just saw a lot of really sketchy looking people around, and the place just FELT menacing, especially considering how early everything closed there. I had to go to a CVS pharmacy to get some junk food for dinner because even Tim Hortons closed at 5 PM.
What do "sketchy looking people" look like?

Old 06-08-2015, 08:50 PM

3,751 posts, read 3,502,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooks50 View Post
What do "sketchy looking people" look like?
Well not just how they look, but the glares and things they say too.

Old 06-08-2015, 09:18 PM

90 posts, read 66,353 times
Downtown certainly could use some more activity and vibrancy, and hopefully the new projects under construction and being planned provide that, but I would never say that it looks or feels unsafe.

Old 06-09-2015, 09:22 AM

12,796 posts, read 12,804,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
It sounds a bit like Vancouver's Downtown Eastside then. It's not dangerous unless you have to live there, but there is a lot of deprivation.
Deprivation like what? It's perfectly safe to live there. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:11 PM

7,193 posts, read 4,133,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Downtown Columbus is probably the safest major downtown in the Midwest.
I'm familiar with downtown Columbus and Cleveland, and both have had incidents, and I'm not certain which is safer, especially adjusted for activity. Both cities have had problems with inadequate police presences during major events, most recently in Cleveland on St. Patrick's Day.

Fireworks show lacked safety plan | The Columbus Dispatch

I do know that downtown Cleveland is more dynamic, with restaurants and entertainment venues open late. Cleveland has 12,000 residents downtown, growing rapidly. Do you know how many residents there are in downtown Columbus? I really don't know if there are more or fewer residents in downtown Columbus than in Cleveland.

Not being familiar with crime statistics for downtown Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, etc., especially given their often much more vibrant downtown areas, I wouldn't make any statement about the relative safety of the Columbus downtown compared to other major downtown areas in the Midwest. I've never felt unsafe in downtown Chicago, and persons I know who live there have never expressed any concern, even though Chicago itself has a violence problem. Cincinnati also seems like a safe downtown.

If Columbus' downtown is safer, it may be because of the relative lack of people, activity, and potential victims.

Old 06-09-2015, 12:16 PM

12,796 posts, read 12,804,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I'm familiar with downtown Columbus and Cleveland, and both have had incidents, and I'm not certain which is safer, especially adjusted for activity. Both cities have had problems with inadequate police presences during major events.

Fireworks show lacked safety plan | The Columbus Dispatch

I do know that downtown Cleveland is more dynamic, with restaurants and entertainment venues open late. Cleveland has 12,000 residents downtown, growing rapidly. Do you know how many residents there are in downtown Columbus? I really don't know if there are more or fewer residents in downtown Columbus than in Cleveland.

Not being familiar with crime statistics for downtown Chicago, Milwaukee, Minneapolis, etc., especially given their often much more vibrant downtown areas, I wouldn't make any statement about the relative safety of the Columbus downtown compared to other major downtown areas in the Midwest. I've never felt unsafe in downtown Chicago, and persons I know who live there have never expressed any concern, even though Chicago itself has a violence problem.

If Columbus' downtown is safer, it may be because of the relative lack of people, activity, and potential victims.
Welcome to 1980.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus