Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 07:21 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen or heard about a biker getting attacked in any way by frat boys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 07:43 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Yeah, I don't think I've ever seen or heard about a biker getting attacked in any way by frat boys.
But, Part of initiation of some frays and sports teams are "scavenger hunts" which demand the new people to go get certain items or take certain pictures, sometimes destruction of property is involved. My friend deetroyed a bike personally and brought back some parts to prove it.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:28 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,058,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
But, Part of initiation of some frays and sports teams are "scavenger hunts" which demand the new people to go get certain items or take certain pictures, sometimes destruction of property is involved. My friend deetroyed a bike personally and brought back some parts to prove it.
Destruction of property probably goes hand in hand with college kids and alcohol (frat boys are basically the world's most reliable dumb****s), but that's a bit different than actually physically attacking someone, on a bike or otherwise. I haven't heard about the latter. Maybe it's happened, but the poster made it seem like this is a regular occurrence.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:55 PM

80 posts, read 67,566 times
what's more common (in any big city or college town) with the frat boys is just slurs and harassment. For example, a facebook friend of mine just posted recently about an incident at Callahans where a guy said something to his trans friend and the police weren't helpful and the bouncer just said "union is down the street". I've heard that type of phrasing a couple times. Good and bad sometimes having such a well-known gay pop. here. Callahans is on my **** list now, though.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:11 PM

417 posts, read 594,411 times
Columbus is an okay city. I noticed that people here would rather ignore things than do something about it. That is probably why they have some of the highest property taxes in the country because no one says anything about it and if you do then they get offended. There are nice shopping centers but most cities have nice shopping centers. I also noticed that when you ask people a question they state the obvious. Very frustrating.

The suburbs of Columbus have very few options for internet. Unfortunately most people here don't even know the difference so I am sure that internet companies are raising their rates due to lack of competition but they don't know any better.

The highways are terrible. Most streets in the suburbs do not have street lights. Public transportation isn't that great. I see people waiting for buses on the side of the road where the grass hasn't been cut in years. I don't think I have seen a bus stop where people can sit down and wait. Easton is a major shopping district and COTA doesn't have anywhere adequate for people to wait. I have seen some people sit on over turned carts. That is pathetic and sad.

There are not too many decent places for seniors and I don't think the streets or traffic is conducive to seniors.

Cleveland has a much better public transit system, senior friendly, theater district, professional sports teams, some of the best museums in the world, excellent health system especially compared to Columbus. Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals are excellent. It has a lake.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sruckus View Post
what's more common (in any big city or college town) with the frat boys is just slurs and harassment. For example, a facebook friend of mine just posted recently about an incident at Callahans where a guy said something to his trans friend and the police weren't helpful and the bouncer just said "union is down the street". I've heard that type of phrasing a couple times. Good and bad sometimes having such a well-known gay pop. here. Callahans is on my **** list now, though.
I would contact the ownership/management about that.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
Columbus is an okay city. I noticed that people here would rather ignore things than do something about it. That is probably why they have some of the highest property taxes in the country because no one says anything about it and if you do then they get offended. There are nice shopping centers but most cities have nice shopping centers. I also noticed that when you ask people a question they state the obvious. Very frustrating.

The suburbs of Columbus have very few options for internet. Unfortunately most people here don't even know the difference so I am sure that internet companies are raising their rates due to lack of competition but they don't know any better.

The highways are terrible. Most streets in the suburbs do not have street lights. Public transportation isn't that great. I see people waiting for buses on the side of the road where the grass hasn't been cut in years. I don't think I have seen a bus stop where people can sit down and wait. Easton is a major shopping district and COTA doesn't have anywhere adequate for people to wait. I have seen some people sit on over turned carts. That is pathetic and sad.

There are not too many decent places for seniors and I don't think the streets or traffic is conducive to seniors.

Cleveland has a much better public transit system, senior friendly, theater district, professional sports teams, some of the best museums in the world, excellent health system especially compared to Columbus. Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals are excellent. It has a lake.
There's already a thread called "What do you hate about Columbus" for general b**ching.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:22 AM

80 posts, read 67,566 times
Quote:
I would contact the ownership/management about that.
For all I know they did, but hard to say. I wasn't there or involved to do anything about it.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:06 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,242 times
Quote:
but that's a bit different than actually physically attacking someone, on a bike or otherwise. I haven't heard about the latter. Maybe it's happened, but the poster made it seem like this is a regular occurrence.
Oh how quickly people forget. Most of my life growing up in Ohio the safety of bikes on the road was such an issue that I remember going into bike stores and the sales associates would specifically warn against riding various places where people were hit and/or run off the road. Riding a bike hasn't been "cool" for very long at all. It is changing, but more slowly in Ohio than other places.

Philly's another place where bikers have been targeted and then struck by cars on purpose.

Verbal shouting matches happen from time to time in Portland (although these are usually started by aggressive bikers for whatever reason). Hit and runs are very common there as well.

Anyway, I looked it up. Not the most recent numbers, but it gives you an idea.

According to the Ohio Department of Public Safety:

* 2005-2010 Ohio had 12,084 bike crashes.

* 94 died.

* In 2010 there were 241 bike crashes in Columbus. (About a 50-50 split roughly on blame city wide.)

* 25 bike to car crashes were on High Street in 2010.

* Police blamed the cyclist for causing only 5 of the those 25 crashes (20%).

* The vast majority of the High Street crashes were caused by motorists who committed some sort of “right of way” violation such as following too closely, right cross & left hook, or a bad passing maneuver.

The left cross seems to be when drivers turn in front of bikes with the right of way.

Right hook is when drivers intentionally or unintentionally cut the corner too much and take out the bike on its right side.

Bad passing maneuver seems to be when the car intentionally runs the bike off the road or unintentionally clips it when they think they're at a safe distance to pull back in.

Found out another interesting thing while I was poking around, which is apparently OSU students can register their bikes and get a gps chip put on it to help with theft.

So...I guess you're good as long as you keep off High Street.

Old 09-16-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
Oh how quickly people forget. Most of my life growing up in Ohio the safety of bikes on the road was such an issue that I remember going into bike stores and the sales associates would specifically warn against riding various places where people were hit and/or run off the road. Riding a bike hasn't been "cool" for very long at all. It is changing, but more slowly in Ohio than other places.

Philly's another place where bikers have been targeted and then struck by cars on purpose.

Verbal shouting matches happen from time to time in Portland (although these are usually started by aggressive bikers for whatever reason). Hit and runs are very common there as well.

Anyway, I looked it up. Not the most recent numbers, but it gives you an idea.

According to the Ohio Department of Public Safety:

* 2005-2010 Ohio had 12,084 bike crashes.

* 94 died.

* In 2010 there were 241 bike crashes in Columbus. (About a 50-50 split roughly on blame city wide.)

* 25 bike to car crashes were on High Street in 2010.

* Police blamed the cyclist for causing only 5 of the those 25 crashes (20%).

* The vast majority of the High Street crashes were caused by motorists who committed some sort of “right of way” violation such as following too closely, right cross & left hook, or a bad passing maneuver.

The left cross seems to be when drivers turn in front of bikes with the right of way.

Right hook is when drivers intentionally or unintentionally cut the corner too much and take out the bike on its right side.

Bad passing maneuver seems to be when the car intentionally runs the bike off the road or unintentionally clips it when they think they're at a safe distance to pull back in.

Found out another interesting thing while I was poking around, which is apparently OSU students can register their bikes and get a gps chip put on it to help with theft.

So...I guess you're good as long as you keep off High Street.
I don't see the evidence there to suggest bikers are intentionally getting hit, which is what you're arguing. You're making an assumption on intent. How are these accidents anymore intentional than most car accidents? I don't imagine, outside of the extreme road rage incident, that people are trying to run each other down.

Further, High Street runs the entire north-south length of the city. It doesn't have bike lanes, so that might explain at least some of the accidents there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus