Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Columbus: More like Cleveland or Cincinnati?
Cleveland 14 31.11%
Cincinnati 31 68.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 04:17 PM

183 posts, read 196,779 times

Advertisements

I am always amazed at the lack of rail or good public transit options each time I visit Columbus, given it's more liberal reputation. I've always assumed that had something to do with how spread out the city/downtown is. I imagine that alone must greatly increase costs.

I really enjoyed the Healthline BRT while I was living in Cleveland, as I lived right on Euclid and would ride it to work often. Extremely excited to ride the Streetcar here in Cincinnati when it opens to the public in September.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2016, 06:49 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,046,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomomo07 View Post
I am always amazed at the lack of rail or good public transit options each time I visit Columbus, given it's more liberal reputation. I've always assumed that had something to do with how spread out the city/downtown is. I imagine that alone must greatly increase costs.

I really enjoyed the Healthline BRT while I was living in Cleveland, as I lived right on Euclid and would ride it to work often. Extremely excited to ride the Streetcar here in Cincinnati when it opens to the public in September.
It's been largely a case of bad luck or bad timing rather than lack of support. Here's a bit on the history of rail in the city and why it hasn't come back. It's a few years old and there has been some progress in terms of planning, but nothing beyond that yet.
Why Doesn’t Columbus Have Rail? Part #1 | All Columbus, Ohio Data
Why Doesn’t Columbus Have Rail? Part #2 | All Columbus, Ohio Data

Old 01-14-2016, 08:57 AM

35,051 posts, read 31,251,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillydominican View Post
Cleveland is a Great Lakes city (upper midwest or even interior northeast), it feels alot like Buffalo, Detroit, Rochester NY, and Pittsburgh.

Cincinnati is a upper South/lower midwest city it feels alot like Louisville, Nashville, and St. Louis.

Columbus is a "classic midwest" city, it doesnt feel too southern like Cincinnati. And it doesnt feel too northeastern like Cleveland and other cities in the eastern Great Lakes region. It feels alot like Indianapolis, or even Chicago or Milwaukee. Though, Indianapolis has a more southern feel than Columbus, they both that "classic midwest" but Indy is more Cincinnati/upper south leaning and Columbus is more Cleveland/Great Lakes leaning. Despite, being closer to Cincinnati, Columbus is definitely a little more like Cleveland culturally, politically and demographically.
The architecture, culture, ethnicities, etc., in Cincinnati are not Southern at all.

Old 01-14-2016, 08:56 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,938,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The architecture, culture, ethnicities, etc., in Cincinnati are not Southern at all.
What are Cincinnati's ''ethnicities''?

Old 01-15-2016, 02:23 PM

1,724 posts, read 1,857,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Cincinnati is 30 percent German American. No Southern city has nearly as high a percentage as this, not even Louisville. Cincinnati is also heavily Catholic, something most Southern cities are not. And finally, it's speech patterns are different from the South. Cincinnati comes closer to a General American accent than a Southern one. Fact.

Old 01-15-2016, 05:56 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,609,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post

A high percentage with Appalachian roots.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:01 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,427,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
It's been largely a case of bad luck or bad timing rather than lack of support. Here's a bit on the history of rail in the city and why it hasn't come back. It's a few years old and there has been some progress in terms of planning, but nothing beyond that yet.
Why Doesn’t Columbus Have Rail? Part #1 | All Columbus, Ohio Data
Why Doesn’t Columbus Have Rail? Part #2 | All Columbus, Ohio Data
Oh please. By that logic it's just luck that Portland, Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis and St Paul all have rail transit. Columbus' lack of running BRT lines in lieu of LRT is proof of lack of support for rapid inner-city transportation. Again: very provincial.

Old 01-16-2016, 06:57 PM

36 posts, read 25,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Oh please. By that logic it's just luck that Portland, Seattle, Denver, Minneapolis and St Paul all have rail transit. Columbus' lack of running BRT lines in lieu of LRT is proof of lack of support for rapid inner-city transportation. Again: very provincial.
If you love living in Minneapolis, why are you so concerned about Columbus' mass transit options or lack thereof? Don't you and your cat have something better to worry about?

Old 01-17-2016, 08:56 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,273,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
It was a few years ago, but there was a thread titled something to the affect of "Should Cleveland be in its own state?" I'll have to find it, but it definitely existed. The premise was that the rest of the state sucked all the money from NEO and that the area didn't really have anything in common with the southern 2/3rds. Since then, that idea or some other version has come up occasionally.
I believe that I started a thread along those lines and I still support the premise. I believe that Greater Cleveland sends too much of its tax revenues to Central Ohio without seeing enough of a return and we are forced to adhere to too much legislation that goes against the best interests of a majority of Northeast Ohioans. Obviously it will never, but I strongly believe that all of the counties from Erie to Ashtabula and going inwards two or three counties would be much better off if we had our own separate state. There's no reason why we need Columbus or Cincinnati.

Old 01-17-2016, 10:10 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,046,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Again, I don't think you actually know what provincial means given that you are using the word incorrectly. Second, that post was certainly not directed towards you as anyone should know by now that you will continue to simply believe whatever you want in the face of actual facts. Should the day ever come when you say anything remotely interesting or different from the scripted nonsense you force us all to suffer through, that would really be cause to take notice. In the meantime, it continues to be a sad display of a very angry person who clearly doesn't take advantage of the fun, relaxing activity they're always talking about. A person who had a good release of their daily frustrations, like biking, would never really be this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus