Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2011, 07:26 PM

3,530 posts, read 4,990,774 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Why do you find it necessary to continuously project your own feelings onto the general population? You ignore the reality that far more people move and stay here than leave, that even college graduates are staying in more significant numbers than they used to, and that development in the billions of dollars continues. Maybe you should just get out more.
Why do you find it necessary to continuously interject your own commentary after each person's observations about how they view C-Bus? After all, this thread was entitled "What Do You Hate About Columbus," and ideally each person should be able to express themself here w/o your constant rebuttals and corrections. We all realize that you're passionate about your city; you need to realize that not everyone shares your affections for Columbus. Stop responding to every disagreeable post with your defensive arguments--and allow people to express their own opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2011, 07:42 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,081,021 times
Currently watching the UofM-Notre Dame game so I'm gonna chip in like a smartass and say I hate OSU and OSU fans

Old 09-10-2011, 07:48 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,533,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Currently watching the UofM-Notre Dame game so I'm gonna chip in like a smartass and say I hate OSU and OSU fans

I was so hoping Toledo would beat OSU.

Old 09-10-2011, 08:05 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,081,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
I got so excited when it was 22-21!!! I was jumping for joy and rubbing it in everyone's faces... then... :/

Old 09-11-2011, 03:20 AM

16,345 posts, read 17,934,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorman View Post
Why do you find it necessary to continuously interject your own commentary after each person's observations about how they view C-Bus? After all, this thread was entitled "What Do You Hate About Columbus," and ideally each person should be able to express themself here w/o your constant rebuttals and corrections. We all realize that you're passionate about your city; you need to realize that not everyone shares your affections for Columbus. Stop responding to every disagreeable post with your defensive arguments--and allow people to express their own opinions.
How about no. People are allowed to offer opinions, and I am allowed to disagree with them. You post, you set yourself up for comments. That's how forums work. You are free to ignore me if you find that I'm interrupting the pile-on.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:20 AM
Yac

6,049 posts, read 7,689,468 times
Just wanted to remind everyone that this is the resident "Columbus hate thread" so it's not that surprising that there's a lot of hate here Remember we're all allowed to have our own opinions, negative or positive. As long as they're supported by fact or experience, not "smart" one liners
Yac.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:44 AM

3,546 posts, read 8,528,950 times
Quote:
How about no. People are allowed to offer opinions, and I am allowed to disagree with them.
It's one thing to have a differing opinion, it's quite another to attempt to invalidate someone else's experiences or opinions because you do not agree with them. One typically disagrees with facts, and this isn't a discussion about facts really--it's a discussion that boils down to personal experiences and preferences. If someone's experience with or impression of Columbus is "X," it's not really something that could be considered "wrong". What is expressed is what that individual experienced--who are you, or anyone else for that matter, to imply that those opinions or experiences are not legitimate?

This comes up a lot in reviews of artistic works. There can be a music album, book or painting that I adore, but if it doesn't speak to someone else that person isn't "wrong," we simply view things differently. The same goes for restaurants, movies, vacation spots, or anything where thoughts and opinions are subjective. Cities and places of residence would certainly fall under this banner. Columbus is a city that is going to work for some people, and is not going to work for others. That's true of any city, anywhere. Thus, I don't understand why there is a need to rebut or counter every opinion one disagrees with.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:48 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,934,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14thandYou View Post
It's one thing to have a differing opinion, it's quite another to attempt to invalidate someone else's experiences or opinions because you do not agree with them. One typically disagrees with facts, and this isn't a discussion about facts really--it's a discussion that boils down to personal experiences and preferences. If someone's experience with or impression of Columbus is "X," it's not really something that could be considered "wrong". What is expressed is what that individual experienced--who are you, or anyone else for that matter, to imply that those opinions or experiences are not legitimate?

I'm also allowed to attempt to invalidate experiences, considering that the negative impressions here basically are an attempt to invalidate the positive experiences of living here. All experiences are legitimate to some degree, including my own.

This comes up a lot in reviews of artistic works. There can be a music album, book or painting that I adore, but if it doesn't speak to someone else that person isn't "wrong," we simply view things differently. The same goes for restaurants, movies, vacation spots, or anything where thoughts and opinions are subjective. Cities and places of residence would certainly fall under this banner. Columbus is a city that is going to work for some people, and is not going to work for others. That's true of any city, anywhere. Thus, I don't understand why there is a need to rebut or counter every opinion one disagrees with.
Like I said, I don't plan to to stop defending Columbus. There are people from every other Ohio city that defend their respective locations, and in much larger numbers. The point of this thread may be nothing more than a bash fest, but that seems unfair to me and does not present the whole picture. I don't think I'm being outrageous in my defense, anyway. I'm sure there is an ignore option somewhere on here for those that don't want to hear it.

Old 09-13-2011, 03:51 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,445,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
What a shocker that you hate OSU.

Old 09-13-2011, 04:50 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,528,950 times
Quote:
I'm also allowed to attempt to invalidate experiences, considering that the negative impressions here basically are an attempt to invalidate the positive experiences of living here. All experiences are legitimate to some degree, including my own.
I take issue with your belief that you can "invalidate experiences" in general (personal experiences are by your own admission legitimate, and can't be invalidated), but I particularly take issue with the part that I bolded above. Forgive me for being blunt, but that's utter nonsense. This is a thread called "What do you hate about Columbus?" It's to be expected that people are going to share thoughts, opinions and experiences related to Columbus that they "hate." Not everyone is going to love the city, and so much as "positive" aspects of the city can be shared, negative ones can as well. To read into these comments some kind of conspiracy amongst posters to "invalidate the positive experiences of living here" is defensive and ultimately self-defeating.

For example, there were aspects of living in Columbus that I didn't enjoy, so I left. Many others have done the same. Is your argument seriously that a) my experiences while living in Columbus could somehow be "invalidated" by you, and b) that posting or sharing those thoughts is part of some concerted effort to invalidate your own positive experiences? Nonsense.

Quote:
Like I said, I don't plan to to stop defending Columbus.
You're free to respond and behave as you wish--goodness knows there are plenty of others here who do the same. It just strikes me as strange for such a champion of Columbus to be spending so much time in a thread created so people can share their negative experiences and opinions about the city, in a way that it would be strange for someone who hates the city to comment repeatedly in a thread designed for people to share things they enjoy about it. It also strikes me as tremendously thin-skinned and overly defensive to respond to every criticism of Columbus by attempting to rebut or invalidate such statements. So there are people who aren't as enamored with a city you love? Who cares? No one's saying you can't enjoy living in Columbus, or that your experiences are in some way illegitimate. I think it's great that you're so happy there, but find it rude and disrespectful that you repeatedly seek to invalidate or diminish others whose opinions are every bit as worthy as your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus