Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 12:35 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco78 View Post
At least in Omaha you don't have to worry about people breaking into your homes constantly, people shooting each other everday, and you avoid coming in contact with flat out crazy people like you find in Columbus and Ohio in general. I'd rather live in Omaha where people act civilized, and respect each others property than live in Ohio and take my chances with becoming a victim of crime.
I always wonder where people like you lived to have had to have dodged gunfights and constantly be victims, and yet I lived in one of the highest-crime neighborhoods in the city and experienced no crime at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 05:50 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,675 times
Quote:
At least in Omaha you don't have to worry about people breaking into your homes constantly, people shooting each other everday, and you avoid coming in contact with flat out crazy people like you find in Columbus and Ohio in general. I'd rather live in Omaha where people act civilized, and respect each others property than live in Ohio and take my chances with becoming a victim of crime.
Yeah, you're right about all the craziness and violence in Ohio, jaco78. Obviously the "3-C's" (Cleveland/Columbus/Cincinnati) are the worst of the worst! Down here in Cinci my wife and I sleep in our APC (armored personnel carrier) when the bullets are a'flying, but then we both live five miles from the frightening downtown--I have absolutely no idea how those poor souls down there protect themselves at night against all the zombies and morlocks who storm up outta the sewers. It's been said that that place even scares the bejeezus outta the Devil himself. As for me, don't know and don't care to find out...

Last edited by motorman; 03-25-2012 at 06:25 AM..

Old 03-25-2012, 09:24 AM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,349 times
Quote:
I spent a month in Omaha one weekend. I've never counted down the hours until I could catch the shuttle back to the airport like I did there.

Not only do Cincinnati, Columbus and Cleveland absolutely obliterate Omaha in every conceivable way, Dayton, Akron and Toledo do also. And I'll take any of Ohio's small towns or villages over Omaha as well.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:37 PM

189 posts, read 399,827 times
Well, having grown up a block away from Lake Erie, I dislike how landlocked Columbus is. That's really my only major complaint.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:45 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
At least in Omaha you don't have to worry about people breaking into your homes constantly, people shooting each other everday, and you avoid coming in contact with flat out crazy people like you find in Columbus and Ohio in general.
And yet I am willing to bet money that you don't live in Omaha proper. Probably a sweet little suburb. Lock your doors at night?
I don't. I live in Cleveland, city of.

Agree with Funkenstein. Once you go "living on the shore of a big body of water" it's hard to live landlocked.

Old 03-26-2012, 12:46 PM

29 posts, read 72,472 times
I hate that most roads are only two lanes when they clearly need to be widened (i.e. N. Hamilton, Cassady, Sunbury, Gender, & Powell Rds)

Old 03-26-2012, 01:21 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loyal426 View Post
I hate that most roads are only two lanes when they clearly need to be widened (i.e. N. Hamilton, Cassady, Sunbury, Gender, & Powell Rds)
It's a money issue for the most part, and also, there have been many studies that actually show widening roads does not actually alleviate traffic, but just makes more people drive. To truly get traffic down, developers and cities need to think differently about how they build. So much of our society is car-based, and you can only build roads so big and in so many places before it becomes far more costly than beneficial. ODOT has run into this very situation with highway construction. After all, you don't get stuck in traffic, you ARE the traffic.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:33 PM

29 posts, read 72,472 times
Jbcmh81, you're absolutely right. I wish this city would get on bored with alternative transportation. I guess I'll just dream that it someday becomes a reality.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:39 AM

2 posts, read 2,727 times
White light.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:01 PM

10 posts, read 23,174 times
Like:

Housing is dirt cheap.
Easy to drive around, not too much traffic.
Lots of shopping.

Hate:

Hard to fly direct from CMH and nowhere cool within driving distance.
Everyone's from Columbus or a small town in Ohio.
No good food unless you like chain restaurants.
Too much political talk, lots of liberal bashing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus