Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2012, 08:54 PM

14 posts, read 45,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abr7rmj View Post
I spent a month in Omaha one weekend. I've never counted down the hours until I could catch the shuttle back to the airport like I did there.

Not only do Cincinnati, Columbus and Cleveland absolutely obliterate Omaha in every conceivable way, Dayton, Akron and Toledo do also. And I'll take any of Ohio's small towns or villages over Omaha as well.
You are right, Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland do absolutely obliterate Omaha, the only bad thing is that they all obliterate Omaha with their obscene amount of crime.

I don't blame you for wanting to get out of Omaha so fast, probably a shock to your system to see people acting civilized for a change. Quite the culture shock, eh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2012, 09:08 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,859 times
Lightbulb Did It Ever Occur To You, Out There In Omaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaco78 View Post
You are right, Cincinnati, Columbus, and Cleveland do absolutely obliterate Omaha, the only bad thing is that they all obliterate Omaha with their obscene amount of crime.

I don't blame you for wanting to get out of Omaha so fast, probably a shock to your system to see people acting civilized for a change. Quite the culture shock, eh?
That there are a LARGE number of Columbusites, Cincinnatians, and Clevelanders, who frankly could give a howler-monkey's hind end about your overheated ravings in regards to what's right and wrong with Ohio?

I was born and raised in Cleveland...live in Middletown, north of Cincinnati, and have had many pleasant NON-CRIME AND ANARCHY FILLED visits to Columbus...and I don't get it---you show up in a forum about Columbus and mouth-off about Omaha like it's the Dippity-Do in god's latest hairstyle?

Maybe some of us (gasp!) actually LIKE it here in Ohio, despite your lame-o attempts to paint it and its' major cities as crime-filled hellholes, and its' residents as a bunch of either uneducated hayseeds or gangbanger wannabes...

I would strongly suggest you find the phone number of a good chiropractor, and ask him to take that annoying crick out of your neck---the crick you apparently got from looking down your nose at folks in Ohio and mistakenly thinking yourself to be superior for the simple reason that you live in Omaha, Nebraska (and I STILL can't quite get my head around that...you think yourself above an entire state of people because you live in OMAHA? Get a grip, son...)

Old 03-29-2012, 07:30 AM

14 posts, read 45,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
That there are a LARGE number of Columbusites, Cincinnatians, and Clevelanders, who frankly could give a howler-monkey's hind end about your overheated ravings in regards to what's right and wrong with Ohio?

I was born and raised in Cleveland...live in Middletown, north of Cincinnati, and have had many pleasant NON-CRIME AND ANARCHY FILLED visits to Columbus...and I don't get it---you show up in a forum about Columbus and mouth-off about Omaha like it's the Dippity-Do in god's latest hairstyle?

Maybe some of us (gasp!) actually LIKE it here in Ohio, despite your lame-o attempts to paint it and its' major cities as crime-filled hellholes, and its' residents as a bunch of either uneducated hayseeds or gangbanger wannabes...

I would strongly suggest you find the phone number of a good chiropractor, and ask him to take that annoying crick out of your neck---the crick you apparently got from looking down your nose at folks in Ohio and mistakenly thinking yourself to be superior for the simple reason that you live in Omaha, Nebraska (and I STILL can't quite get my head around that...you think yourself above an entire state of people because you live in OMAHA? Get a grip, son...)
The dippity-do? OK? I was just defending Omaha, when other Ohioans were attacking it calling it hayseed and backwater and such. And I'm sorry, but compared to Omaha, Columbus is a anarchy and crime filled city. I implore you to go to 10tv.com and not find a day in which someone was either robbed, shot, or murdered. Sorry if facts don't sit well with you.

Oh, and I'll keep the crick in my neck, better than being shot through the neck.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:41 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
lol@Omaha. Really?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:26 AM

1,781 posts, read 2,680,859 times
Lightbulb As They Sometimes Say In NYC---

Quote:
The dippity-do? OK? I was just defending Omaha, when other Ohioans were attacking it calling it hayseed and backwater and such. And I'm sorry, but compared to Omaha, Columbus is a anarchy and crime filled city. I implore you to go to 10tv.com and not find a day in which someone was either robbed, shot, or murdered. Sorry if facts don't sit well with you.

Oh, and I'll keep the crick in my neck, better than being shot through the neck.
I've got your facts, right here...

First fact...I don't sit nailed in a root-cellar somewhere in Nebraska, acting like my city is Mt Olympus, and using video footage to justify running around like an overheated parakeet tweeting 'Ohmigosh!!! Columbus is hell with the lid off!! Man the ramparts!! Get out your bulletproof vests!!'

Secondly, just because you get your diaper twisted because I dared to form my mouth and defend Columbus and Ohio, dosn't make what you say fact(s)...you need to get outta Dodge with THAT line of thinking...

Third, I am aware that there are folk who LIVE there who don't like Columbus---hence the thread title 'what do you hate about Columbus?'...and that's what makes C-D an interesting place, the exchange of differing views and ideas...

But I'll be danged if I'll sit still and be silent in the face of a bunch of sanctimonious snarkiness, based on stereotypes and video footage, from someone who doesn't even LIVE in Columbus, Ohio, and thinks his city has rivers of milk and honey, and streets paved with gold...newsflash, Otis---it doesn't, and you still need to get that crick in your neck fixed because, as my young niece has been known to say, you are NOT all that and a bag of chips...

Chew on THOSE 'facts' for a while

Old 03-29-2012, 08:40 AM

29 posts, read 72,472 times
Ok... Why are we even talking about Omaha in a Columbus forum. Comparing the two is like apples and oranges. Columbus is larger and more diverse than Omaha, No-Where Nebraska. It's the 15th largest city, so of course there is more crime (duh!). You want dangerous go to Miami and Detroit. No one evens cares about Omaha except the people who live there. Do yourself a favor and be quiet you sound ridiculous.

Old 03-29-2012, 11:28 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:

The fact is that Omaha SHOULD have lower crime, given that it's population is 300,000 less than Columbus, and the metro has 1 million fewer people. I looked up the crime stats for Omaha, however, and while most catergories are lower than in Columbus, they are not as significantly lower as you make them out to be. Further, on a few, such as rape, they were significantly higher. And Omaha has higher rates of crime than the national average.

And actually, there have been just 13 murders in Columbus so far this year, the longest stretch without one was 18 days. The 13 murders is a good 60% below where the city was last year, which itself was lower than the year before that. And overall, crime is at at least a 25-30 year low on almost every catergory.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:28 PM

1,224 posts, read 2,188,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
The fact is that Omaha SHOULD have lower crime, given that it's population is 300,000 less than Columbus, and the metro has 1 million fewer people. I looked up the crime stats for Omaha, however, and while most catergories are lower than in Columbus, they are not as significantly lower as you make them out to be. Further, on a few, such as rape, they were significantly higher. And Omaha has higher rates of crime than the national average.

And actually, there have been just 13 murders in Columbus so far this year, the longest stretch without one was 18 days. The 13 murders is a good 60% below where the city was last year, which itself was lower than the year before that. And overall, crime is at at least a 25-30 year low on almost every catergory.
I really hope jaco doesn't live in Omaha. He is woefully ignorant about our own problems that need dealing with before we go ragging on other cities.

Omaha has really bad crime for a city our size, 3rd worst black homicide rate behind Detroit and St. Louis and we have had a mass shooting at a mall and a high school shooting with in the past 4.5 years.

Not exactly a shinning beacon of anti crime over here. Just wanted to clear that up.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:37 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,349 times
Quote:

Here are some facts about the gang infestation in Omaha (where more than half the murders are gang-related) that may not sit well with you. Let's ride along with the OPD's gang unit:

KETV Rides Along With Omaha Gang Unit - YouTube

But WAIT! There's more ...

Sudanese Refugees In Omaha Wrestle With Rise Of Street Gangs

Gang Fight: Nebraska (http://netnebraska.org/extras/gangfight/ - broken link)

Old 03-29-2012, 06:07 PM

3,530 posts, read 5,020,675 times
Maybe we'd better lock our doors there, after all, abr7rmj... (and travel in twos...) Sound good?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus