U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2016, 06:55 PM

15 posts, read 18,623 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Columbus and looking for a rental to move into until we find a place to buy.

We want a place that isn't a huge apartment building - more like a condo, ideally. Must be toddler-friendly and in a safe, nice neighborhood. We're hoping to find something under $1200 for a 2-bedroom, but could go a little higher if needed.

Trying to find something very walkable - at least a park / playground nearby and bonus points for a coffee shop. If we can't find walkable, we'll just pick a really nice place in a quality complex for now to get settled and then go from there.

Any feedback on these cities or these specific complexes/areas?
- Hilliard Grand or Hilliard Summit (complexes) - or any other Hilliard suggestions?
- Upper Arlington (likelihood of rentals?)
- Worthington (anything near Old Worthington?)
- Sawmill Commons in Dublin (or anything else in Dublin fit the bill?)
- Clintonville (is it safe/walkable? are there rentals?)
- Grandview Heights (pretty sure there's nothing we could afford here)

I'll be commuting downtown. I'm assuming it'll be less than 30 minutes from any of those places...?

thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2016, 09:59 AM

1,874 posts, read 4,042,372 times
I can't speak to those complexes specifically, but I can give you details on my complex. It is similar in nature to Sawmill Commons, but with a little bit better of a layout. It is also managed by Casto Properties. Rent for two bedrooms ranges from 1100-1300, I believe, with water built in to the rent. I like my place because, while I have a 1 bedroom, there are two bedroom garden apartments (1st or 2nd floor) or 2 bedroom townhouses (three floors). They have carports if you really feel like you need one. Also, the complex has a Dunkin Donuts at the entrance. They are in the process of building a Fresh Thyme Farmers market out front on Hamilton. Fresh Thyme is similar to Whole Foods but less pretentious and expensive. They have amazing produce. A YMCA facility is nearby as well. When I am home, I see lots of kids in the complex. Gahanna schools are pretty good (probably on par with Worthington and Hilliard but not as large. One high school versus two and three respectively. Dublin and UA schools would normally be considered better quality).

Nearby and still somewhat walkable is Stoneridge Center. It's a typical layout for a strip mall, but has a lot of stores and restaurants. Cap City Fine Diner, Choe's Asian Gourmet, Marshalls/Home Goods, 101 Beer Kitchen, a Cinemark theater, a Kroger grocery store, and many other retail/restaurant offerings. Also near the Morse and Hamilton intersection are a Giant Eagle, Starbucks, First Watch Cafe, Panera, Kohls, Meijer and many other standalone restaurants (think typical chains, Olive Garden, Longhorn, O'Charley's). If you really need to get out and walk around, you can drive over to Easton and enjoy the outdoor mall.

Hamilton south of Morse isn't as congested as north of Morse, though there are near-term plans to widen the section north of Morse in Columbus proper.

You would be heading into Columbus from Gahanna, which is about 30-45 minutes (depending on the traffic on I-670 and time of departure during rush hour). Outside rush hour, the drive is closer to 20 minutes. Best route would be down Hamilton to US62 and follow that through central Olde Gahanna where it turns right. That dumps directly into I-670 and you would take that straight downtown. No having to deal with I-70, 315 or the I-270 outerbelt.

The only places on that list that would get you downtown in 30 minutes or less would be Clintonville, Grandview and some portions of Upper Arlington. These three won't have much in the way of complexes. Most will have rentals in duplex or single-family homes or may have apartments that cater to students (grad and less likely, undergrad), especially as you get closer to campus. Also, you'll pay a premium for the latter two due to schools. There may be some places in Northwest Columbus along Bethel Road that could provide access to downtown within 30 minutes. That may be worth exploring as well. If time is a huge factor, I would eliminate far reaches of Hilliard, Dublin, northern stretches of Worthington (especially past I-270). Gahanna may also be too far as well.

I would consider of all the options you listed Grandview and Clintonville to be the most walkable. But I do still think I have a decent location where I am at in Gahanna.

Old 01-18-2016, 07:37 PM

49 posts, read 76,889 times
I would check the southeast corner of UA, Waltham Road, East of Northwest Blvd. That would get you great schools and an esy commute downtown.

Old 01-18-2016, 10:14 PM

259 posts, read 324,913 times
I don't know much about apartments, but I have heard that the Central Park apartments just north of Worthington have a thing where they let you out of your lease if you can show them you have a contract to buy a house. Apartments in Worthington | Columbus, OH | Central Park Apartments

You will have a very difficult time finding a short term rental in Old Worthington, but there are complexes north of Worthington on either side of 23 (high street) that offer leases for 6 months.

Old 01-23-2016, 12:30 PM

239 posts, read 827,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
I can't speak to those complexes specifically, but I can give you details on my complex. It is similar in nature to Sawmill Commons, but with a little bit better of a layout. It is also managed by Casto Properties. Rent for two bedrooms ranges from 1100-1300, I believe, with water built in to the rent. I like my place because, while I have a 1 bedroom, there are two bedroom garden apartments (1st or 2nd floor) or 2 bedroom townhouses (three floors). They have carports if you really feel like you need one. Also, the complex has a Dunkin Donuts at the entrance. They are in the process of building a Fresh Thyme Farmers market out front on Hamilton. Fresh Thyme is similar to Whole Foods but less pretentious and expensive. They have amazing produce. A YMCA facility is nearby as well. When I am home, I see lots of kids in the complex. Gahanna schools are pretty good (probably on par with Worthington and Hilliard but not as large. One high school versus two and three respectively. Dublin and UA schools would normally be considered better quality).
Worthington and Hilliard consistently score a bit better than Gahanna on measures like the state standardized tests, average ACT scores. Not a large difference, mind you, but consistently a bit higher. Westerville and Gahanna are closer, but I'd give the slight nod to Westerville. IMHO, Worthington, Hilliard and Westerville have nicer facilities and the enrollments at their respective high schools are actually a bit smaller than Gahanna Lincoln HS.

Upper Arlington, Dublin and Olentangy consistently are considered among the top-tier of the large suburban districts. Olentangy always does extremely well on the state standardized tests, but UA and Dublin have a bit of an edge (small, though it is) on average ACT scores, as well as recognition for things like National Merit Scholars.

Old 01-23-2016, 07:32 PM

11 posts, read 8,473 times
For a walkability factor, I would look for something near Uptown Westerville, or Old Worthington off of High Street. In both of those, there aren't really huge complexes, but are a number of private rentals available. UA- same thing -- there are private rentals on the streets around Lane Ave and near Giant Eagle that will give you a great walkability factor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or