Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 07:18 AM

37 posts, read 168,768 times

Advertisements

the house we are looking at is on Jerome rd I have been told that is more of the middle class area of town does anyone have any thoughts on that ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 07:26 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
That is a widely diverse area. You have the most affluent area in Dublin, Tartan Fields, out in that area, along with an old modest area that has been absorbed by the expansion of Dublin. Homes range from the mid $100's to the low $millions. So this area will have a very wide range of folks, including a group that really resents Dublin's expansion.

It is the farthest out area of Dublin from the metro Columbus area.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:15 PM

8 posts, read 54,257 times
It does not sound like Dublin would be a good fit for you - check out neighborhoods in east side of the (highly rated) Olentangy school district - Powell (west side) is not the only town in that school district. Galena, Lewis Center, Delaware, the Alum Creek state park area, etc. (all are south of Rt 36/37, but east of Rt 23) are all in the Olentangy school district - excellent (and fairly new/updated) schools, a ton of very nice, down-to-earth people ('lots of families), and some pretty reasonably-priced homes (with a few high-end homes & neighborhoods mixed in). I moved to the Columbus last year - first looked at Powell & Dublin areas, but was turned off by all of the traffic congestion in those areas (my husband works downtown & needs easy access to the highways). I live in a neighborhood off of Africa Rd near the state park area - a country-like setting but a quick drive (15 minutes or less - barely any traffic here) to schools and shopping in Polaris & Westerville - the Polaris exit for I-71 is pretty easy to access as well. And you definitely get more for your money house-wise here than in New Albany - we looked there too - a little too "Stepford Wives" for us - the Georgian brick-style houses are everywhere there, but I have a friend who lives there and does really like it - even if she is not thrilled with what she had to pay for her house and her tiny lot.

Old 02-17-2008, 12:24 AM

29 posts, read 339,690 times
Upper Arlington is said to be like Dublin, but it's not. The kids are very nice there in whatever school you put them in. The neighbohoods are charming too, especailly in Old Upper Arlington, but it's more expensive there. St.Andrews school is wonderful. Powell, and Hillard just aren't nearly as charming and they are about the same price as UA. Dublin has some charm... in the old parts, but i would not move there, all the people think they are better than everone else.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:27 PM

4 posts, read 17,627 times
Default Dublinite

Hello, I too grew up in Dublin, actually, we were not far from Jerome Road. Back in the days.. (ha ha) Jerome was more of a farm community. My parents have about 8 acres there and it's still nice. There used to be 4-H and all that....

My husband and I though, moved to Hilliard where it is a bit more diverse as far as kids and such.
Dublin, especially the side of town you are looking into is filled with many people who may have too much money than they know what to do with. I agree with many posts about people who's children are a bit on the spoiled side. I worked in the Dublin community as well as my parents, and I know way too many stories about Dublin parents and how wonderful their children are (jk)

You also will see Dublin is a bit divided on "the river" there seems to be good side versus bad side of Dublin. The "snobby"" people others have talked about here seem to all be on one side of the river as opposed to the Sawmill Road side of Dublin.

I have actually lived on both sides and found that FOR US Hilliard is still a better choice over each.(our opinion)

Growing up in the rich snooty side is something i didn't want to expose my children to because I wanted them to have a more realistic view on life and know that not EVERYONE goes to Paris and or the Virgin islands for spring break, or that it's unacceptable to get your prom dress at the mall as opposed to flying to Chicago for one that no one else would have.

I'm sure that Dublin is filled with many nice middle income families, but I doubt you'll find them near Dublin Jerome HS or even Coffman area.
I'd look into maybe some outlying areas of Dublin.
It'd be nice if there was still some good priced LAND in the outskirts of Dublin that you could build on, but that is pretty much all gone.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:15 PM

197 posts, read 511,498 times
I work an architectural industry in the Columbus area, have been involved with a lot of UA renovations. You get much older homes at a way higher price than something newer and less expensive in Hilliard. Bedrooms are notoriously smaller, lack of closet space and kitchens and bathrooms can be a little rough if someone hasn't updated the home. Not much in the way of new builds going on in UA. UA has a 'tude of it's own too, I'm not so sure Dublin has an exclusive on snobby folk. You will find pockets of snobby in Hilliard as well, they're just a little more spread out and sublte about it than in Dublin or UA ;-) lol!

However, if more down to earth is what you are looking for I would agree that Plain City has much to offer as does most areas in Hilliard if you want to stay on this side of town.

Old 02-28-2008, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 6,020 times
Default Judge a book by its ..

I live across the street from Dublin, work in dublin, and my childrens school district is Dublin - I pretty much feel I live there full time.

I really do not see any major problems with the area. The schools are great - my kids are preteen

I think the review of the area is rather harsh. Ok, I do not have all the high end gear that many of the people in the area have - yet I have met a great deal of those in the area and they never have come across as snobs.

The only real problem I have seen is that my kids do get upset that they do not have all the toys that the other children have. My opinion is that not having builds character.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:20 PM

80 posts, read 277,503 times
Default got a taste of it recently

I have seen your question on here for awhile, and didn't have anything to say because I live in the city of Cols and had no experience with Dublin until very recently...Coincidentally, last month, I was sent on a temp assignment to a company in Dublin, and these people just went out of their way to act condescending and mean towards me and the other temps...it was very childish...I was embarassed for them, and the company....it's hard to believe educated people would act like that, but,....they did. When they laid us off they were very abrupt and arrogant about it...I don't know how to explain it but you know how when some people are rude towards you , you get mad, but then, with some people they are such jerks that you are able to look at it objectively and not even take it personally?! That's how my experience was, if you know what I mean....they were just too pathetically dysfunctional to even get mad at....

Old 03-05-2008, 07:32 PM

137 posts, read 448,298 times
Don't move to Dublin if that is what you want to get away from! I struggled a lot while living in Columbus and people there couldn't seem to understand why my wife and I, "went without" in a lot of ways compared to other families. We lived in Hilliard where we felt people were more, "down to earth." I would also recommend Grove City, which is nice and also, "low key" and the people are very down-to-earth. I would recommend Grove City over Hilliard.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:45 PM

18 posts, read 53,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
That is a widely diverse area. You have the most affluent area in Dublin, Tartan Fields, out in that area, along with an old modest area that has been absorbed by the expansion of Dublin. Homes range from the mid $100's to the low $millions. So this area will have a very wide range of folks, including a group that really resents Dublin's expansion.

It is the farthest out area of Dublin from the metro Columbus area.

Actually Tartan Fields isn't in Dublin. Tartan Fields has Dublin's mailing address and Dublin schools, but when you enter Tartan Fields there is a sign that says "LEAVE DUBLIN CORP", it's the same deal with the neighboring village of Shawnee Hills. No offense to the person who originally posted this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus