Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 09:16 AM

15 posts, read 27,109 times

Advertisements

Hello! Just moved to Columbus and looking to buy a 3-4 bedroom house. We wanted "walkable" (recently moved from Boston where that was the norm) and we're realizing we can't actually afford the few places that are, indeed, walkable with good schools. SO, now we're focused on a sense of community.

We're shifting focus from Dublin & Worthington and thinking more about Hilliard and maybe Lewis Center, although all recs are welcome.

Can you recommend a specific, really great subdivision - one with an active Homeowner's Association, plenty of green spaces/playgrounds, community activities, neighborhood schools, and young families with kids? And where they are located? (e.g. the real estate listing will say "in desirable ___ subdivision", but that means nothing to us since we don't know the areas).

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2016, 01:51 PM

259 posts, read 425,272 times
What is your price range? How many square feet are you looking for?

Old 04-19-2016, 09:58 PM

64 posts, read 122,711 times
Are you married to the NW part of town? Westerville has a lovely, vibrant historic downtown area and is generally more affordable than places like Powell (though if you can afford Powell, it also has a great downtown). The city of Westerville does a great job building a sense of community with amazing parks/biking trails and events. We're so excited that 4th Fridays in Uptown are about to start again for the year. That said the market in Westerville is super hot right now, though I think that's true all over central Ohio. Sorry to not answer your question directly, I just don't know much about Hilliard or Lewis Center.

Old 04-19-2016, 10:21 PM

730 posts, read 766,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlek View Post
Are you married to the NW part of town? Westerville has a lovely, vibrant historic downtown area and is generally more affordable than places like Powell (though if you can afford Powell, it also has a great downtown). The city of Westerville does a great job building a sense of community with amazing parks/biking trails and events. We're so excited that 4th Fridays in Uptown are about to start again for the year. That said the market in Westerville is super hot right now, though I think that's true all over central Ohio. Sorry to not answer your question directly, I just don't know much about Hilliard or Lewis Center.
I think this is hard to answer not only from not knowing what other suburbs are like but not evening knowing what other neighborhoods are like.

As a recent transplant it seem like there are so many people that came to Columbus to attend OSU and have friends all over the city because of that.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:57 AM

Thanks! We are looking for under 230k, which before would have been easy, but currently creates challenges with finding viable options.

Old 04-21-2016, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrrl7 View Post
What is your price range? How many square feet are you looking for?
Under 230 with no real preference on square footage. Above 1500, probably, which is pretty standard for 3-4 beds.

Old 04-21-2016, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlek View Post

We aren't, but we go west a lot to visit family so that was our goal. Any specific areas you recommend in Westerville?

Old 04-21-2016, 07:06 AM

64 posts, read 122,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith02474 View Post
We aren't, but we go west a lot to visit family so that was our goal. Any specific areas you recommend in Westerville?
I've heard wonderful things about Annehurst. It's actually in the western part of Westerville so very close to Worthington. They have a fabulous neighborhood elementary, their own wonderful park (Metzger Park) and their own community pool, which is rare for Westerville since most folks use the larger Highland's Pool owned by the city of Westerville. It's full of charming 1960s homes and I hear it has a more "crunchy" vibe reminiscent of Clintonville than other parts of Westerville. Parts of it are within walking distance to Uptown Westerville and Otterbein University (the historic downtown) It's also in your price range. This cute house there just popped up: 148 Millfield Avenue, Westerville, OH 43081 | MLS 216012799 | Listing Information | HER Realtors Columbus, Cincinnati, & Dayton Ohio Real Estate

We live in the northern Genoa Township portion of Westerville (43082 zip as opposed to 43081 for the city of Westerville) in a neighborhood that connects to the large Sherbrook area, and we like it a lot. We can walk to my daughter's school (Alcott) and Central High School is also in the neighborhood as well as a nice park. It is less cozy feeling than a neighborhood like Annehurst because it is newer, has fewer trees, etc. It's also a bit pricier. 3 bed homes here are selling for the $250,000s and larger homes are anywhere from that up to $320,000.

I know a lot of people in the Spring Grove neighborhood and they like it. All of the elementary schools in Westerville are neighborhood schools, and most neighborhoods are connected to the walking/biking paths and parks. With your budget I would stay north of Schrock Rd and avoid areas that are technically city of Columbus but Westerville schools. Those areas don't seem as appealing if you can afford over $200,000.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:48 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,054,959 times
For "community" feel, I would go with Hilliard any day over Lewis Center.

Don't get me wrong, as Lewis Center is a part of the outstanding Olentangy Local Schools, but it just feels like a lot of sprawl as opposed to a more centered community. Hilliard has sprawl too, but seems a little more anchored. But that is an IMO point.

If you work north of I-270's northern outerbelt, I'd pick Lewis Center. If you work along OH-315/I-71 or westward or downtown, Hilliard would be a better option. That way, no matter where you end up, you have more time to enjoy the community or neighborhood in which you live and not spend more time in your car.

Old 04-22-2016, 09:15 AM

Default Specifics in Hilliard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
For "community" feel, I would go with Hilliard any day over Lewis Center.

Don't get me wrong, as Lewis Center is a part of the outstanding Olentangy Local Schools, but it just feels like a lot of sprawl as opposed to a more centered community. Hilliard has sprawl too, but seems a little more anchored. But that is an IMO point.

If you work north of I-270's northern outerbelt, I'd pick Lewis Center. If you work along OH-315/I-71 or westward or downtown, Hilliard would be a better option. That way, no matter where you end up, you have more time to enjoy the community or neighborhood in which you live and not spend more time in your car.

Yeah, good point. We work downtown, so that's probably best. I'm having a hard time finding good subdivisions in Hilliard. Any that you recommend looking at (or areas to absolutely avoid)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus