U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2016, 05:20 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,050,813 times

Advertisements

I will be visiting my best friend in Pittsburgh at the end of August. I'm actually flying up (from Atlanta) on the morning of 8/31 and we're leaving for Columbus that evening.

I have a few questions and I'm hoping some kind folks will be able to help...

1- Our destination is actually Marysville, Ohio, which is approximately 35 miles NW of Columbus. The drive from my friend's address to our destination in Marysville is about 218 miles. It is all interstate, at least to Columbus, as he lives less than a mile off I-79 which will take us to I-70 and all the way to Columbus. Mapquest calculates 2hrs 56min to Columbus and 3hrs 34min to Marysville.

So....what would be our best bet for a hotel (I prefer to stay somewhere fairly nice, or at least clean, and don't mind paying $100 or more per night if necessary)? We are due in Marysville (at the Honda Heritage Center, for the factory tour and museum tour, at 9:15am on the morning of 9/1. So we'd have to drive from our hotel to that location during morning traffic.

Should I just plan to stay close or in Marysville? Or would somewhere on the northern side of Columbus have more choices or nicer hotels? If we stayed in Columbus, I'm thiking we'd need to allow at least 90 minutes to make the drive to Marysville at that time of day (leaving around 7:45am).

2- We're driving right back to Pittsburgh that afternoon, but we're taking the long way back. My friend was transferred to Pittsburgh last August and this will be my fourth visit within one year. On each of my past trips, we've made the drive over to Holmes County, Ohio (Millersburg). There is an Amish restaurant there with the best friend chicken in the world and a nearby shop has some amazing local Blackberry Jelly and Preserves. I buy a case (or two) each time I visit.

So we'll be driving from Marysville, OH to Millersburg, OH then back to Pittsburgh. It's about 236 miles back and calculated at 4hrs 32mins. The navigation software is showing that we take US-33E from Marysville to US-36E for about 34 miles. Then we'll merge onto I-71N toward Cleveland and continue for about 42 miles. Then we exit onto US-30E to continue on to Millersburgh. From there, it's a familiar, if not very interesting, drive! =)

Any advice on my proposed route from Marysville/Colubmus to Millersburg (Holmes County) then on to Pittsburgh???

What is the speed limit on I-70 between Pittsburgh and Columbus? And how strict is law enforcement about enforcing it? The reason I ask is because, unless you're going 15mph or more over the limit, a State Trooper won't write you a ticket. Speeding citations of 14mph or less over the limit are considered ZERO point violations in Georgia and they just don't boether with them. So I have a habit of setting my cruise for about 10mph over the limit, but would prefer NOT to get any tickets on my trip. Are speed traps common on that interstate?

I'll be the one doing all of the driving, since I'm the one wanting to visit the Honda Heritage Center. From what I saw last fall between Pittsburgh and Holmes County, eastern Ohio is very beautiful and I'm sure that will be the case in August. I'm hoping that will make the trip a little less tedious....

Is there anything else in Columbus or nearby areas that I should consider working into my plan? I'm sure there are plenty, but I just don't know what they are yet....and whether I'll be able to work any of them into my short stay??? =)

Thanks in advance for any input you have to offer!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2016, 08:03 AM

40 posts, read 29,330 times
If you have a smart phone I suggest downloading Waze. It's GPS with crowdsourcing that people let you know where there accidents and more importantly where the cops are located. It also does a pretty good job detouring you if there is traffic. My favorite travel app. There are a lot of speed traps along I70

Old 06-26-2016, 07:19 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,050,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uvachic1215 View Post
If you have a smart phone I suggest downloading Waze. It's GPS with crowdsourcing that people let you know where there accidents and more importantly where the cops are located. It also does a pretty good job detouring you if there is traffic. My favorite travel app. There are a lot of speed traps along I70
Thanks for the info. I actually have Waze on my phone and I use it often for traffic/police info. But I haven't actually used the navitgation/detouring functions yet.

I drove from Atlanta and Pittsburgh and back earlier this year. The trip is about 700 miles, the vast majority in WV and TN, but about 80 miles of it is in VA. The laws regarding speeding are insane in VA. Driving more than 20mph over the limit OR driving over 80mph regardless of speed limit (even in a 70mph zone) is considered Reckless Driving. Reckless Driving is a Class 1 Misdemeanor, which puts it in the same category DUI and Animal Cruelty!!! In some VA counties, a $2500 fine, at least one night in jail and a 6-month license suspension are mandatory. Driving 81mph in a 70mph zone and beating and torturing defenseless animals or driving drunk is hardly worthy of the same punishment. (As a side note- I think Animal Cruelty should be a felony)...

Anyway, thanks for the heads-up regarding speed traps on I-70. I'll definitely be using cruise control, just like I did in VA. At least the speed limit is 70mph, as best as I can tell, on I-70 between the OH/WV state line through Licking County (which appears to be roughly 25 miles east of Columbus).

Old 06-27-2016, 02:27 PM

40 posts, read 29,330 times
yeah the drive between Cbus and Pittsburgh isn't too bad. there are always cops in those small towns and that's where you find the speed traps. There were A LOT of cars getting pulled over as I got closer (about 30-45 min) to Cbus. I did the drive during the winter and it wasn't too bad.

And you don't have to tell me how insane the traffic laws in Virginia are, I know them personally! (born and raised in Virginia, went to UVA then moved back for 4 additional years) I've had multiple friends go to court with reckless driving tickets. I've paid some tickets but I know that reckless will get you in weekend jail and nobody wants to do that lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus