U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2016, 08:59 AM

1,691 posts, read 1,229,742 times

Advertisements

The Short North is virtually completely gentrified except for the extreme northern portion where it meets Weinland Park. That small portion of high street is by no means scary but it is noticeably less upscale than the southern end of high street by the convention center.

1. What neighborhoods do you expect to see gentrify in the future?

2. Are there any concerns you have for the development of Columbus going forward?

A. Weinland Park is an obvious answer due to it's location between OSU, Short North and proximity to downtown. The public/subsidized housing on high street is being tore down in favor of "luxury" apartments, mix-used retail and the new library will be a beautiful addition. I think it would be great for Columbus to have Weinland Park develop so there isn't a gap in connectivity between Short North and campus. On the downside the neighborhood east of high is in fairly bad shape, there lies ethical questions about forcing low-income people out of their neighborhood (and this might lead to further issues in suburban areas like Whitehall/Reynoldsburg) and lack of transit apart from COTA buses persists.

B. Old Town East. Not as familiar with this area but again great proximity to downtown, from what I hear it still needs a lot of work.

C. Merion Village. Proximity to German Village but larger yards and more affordable. Crime could be a concern and some of the surrounding areas/retail are dumpy.

D. Franklinton, close to downtown but perceived to be one of the worst neighborhoods in Columbus in terms of crime and poverty. I expect some development but it will be a long time if ever before the neighborhood revitalizes.

Overall I would like to see development not just on the high street corridor, more connectivity between intown neighborhood, increased transit options and the rehabilitation of existing structures instead of just constructing new luxury condos across the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2016, 11:51 AM

12,763 posts, read 12,741,891 times
1. The neighborhoods most likely to be revitalized in the coming years are Weinland Park (this has already begun and has been ongoing for several years now), Franklinton and the Parsons Avenue corridor on the Near South Side, particulary areas north of Whittier. Other areas that may see more spotty improvement will be King-Lincoln and Milo-Grogan.

2. I think you are a bit off on your definition of where Weinland Park is. It is all to the east of High, not west. West is Campus and northern sections of Victorian Village. Weinland Park is largely the area between E. 5th and E. 11th and between N. High and the railroad tracks. There is a ton of activity going on in this area, including the expansion of the South Campus Gateway, which will include hundreds of residential units and retail, as well as the recent renovation of a bunch of buildings on 11th. Further east, Grant Park is a brand new neighborhood being constructed along Grant Avenue on a former manufacturing site. There are also plans for mixed-use projects along High just north of the Kroger on 7th, and there are lots of individual home renovations going on. Whatever gaps exist between the Short North and Campus are going to fill in rapidly.

3. Olde Town East has been in revitalization for probably at least 25 years. It is just that it is taking place almost exclusively in the form of individual home renovations- and almost every single home needed some form of renovation. There are extremely nice areas of OTE, such as Bryden Road, though. That pace of activity is heating up, and there are a least a few bigger projects in the works for the neighborhood.

4. Merion Village is in the middle of its own revitalization as well. The northern sections are now very nice.

5. I really don't think it will take that long for Franklinton to be revitalized. The first major project there will begin construction towards the end of the year, with a growing list of planned projects. Most of the revitalization will be focused east of 315, but it will eventually spread west too.

The Google Maps images below are from N. 6th Street in Weinland Park, 2007 and 2015. It show part of the Grand Park development, but also how existing homes have been renovated too.
Attached Thumbnails
Columbus neighborhoods and future gentrification-screenshot-2016-07-05-12.44.22.png   Columbus neighborhoods and future gentrification-screenshot-2016-07-05-12.45.26.png  

Old 07-05-2016, 01:41 PM

204 posts, read 208,497 times
Tons of investors are in at Weinland park, it is happening now.
Harrison west still has some upside potential as it sits behind VV and is next to Battelle.
Italian Village still has upside potential but it is mostly done.
Old town east is a work in progress, one house at a time.

I disagree with the prediction Franklinton will develop. It is in a flood zone. I don't hold much hope for the west side of Columbus.

Old 07-05-2016, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebush1 View Post
Harrison west still has some upside potential as it sits behind VV and is next to Battelle.

I disagree with the prediction Franklinton will develop. It is in a flood zone. I don't hold much hope for the west side of Columbus.
In regards to the flood zone I think the city invested millions and millions of dollars to build a flood wall which is why redevelopment is now a possibility for Franklinton. The city has a plan and commission in place but it remains to be see if things will change. As crime lessens in Franklinton, Hilltop is getting worse. However, the sheer poverty in Franklinton is staggering and I agree with you it's not going to get better overnight.

Old 07-05-2016, 02:53 PM

12,763 posts, read 12,741,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebush1 View Post

Um, a 500-year floodwall was completed in 2004. Franklinton will be fine, and the development of major projects there will begin by year's end.

Old 07-08-2016, 05:46 PM

3,828 posts, read 2,897,741 times
Waiting for Whitehall and the Bottoms to become gentrified.

Old 07-08-2016, 06:50 PM

2,345 posts, read 1,130,558 times
I can see Franklinton as the new Short North in 20 years or so. I remember being in the Short North early-mid 80s when I didnt know the city very well, it was not a nice place then.

Old 07-14-2016, 09:16 AM

23 posts, read 15,572 times
I've heard many people say Franklinton is the next Short North. I think it will definitely be the next hip area but the process will be completely different than the SN. The SN was created with alot of sweat equity by artists and small businesses that could afford to rent there at the time. They are already in the progress of making fancy condos/highrise apts in Franklinton, which is "the cart before the horse".

Old 07-14-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Waiting for Whitehall and the Bottoms to become gentrified.
I think Franklinton will gentrify before Whitehall for sure. It has a better location and seems more unique where Whitehall kind of gives the impression of a generic suburb that has lost its shine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfocused View Post
I can see Franklinton as the new Short North in 20 years or so. I remember being in the Short North early-mid 80s when I didnt know the city very well, it was not a nice place then.
Who know what Columbus will look like in 20 years! The possibilities are endless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnus_Droom View Post
I've heard many people say Franklinton is the next Short North. I think it will definitely be the next hip area but the process will be completely different than the SN. The SN was created with alot of sweat equity by artists and small businesses that could afford to rent there at the time. They are already in the progress of making fancy condos/highrise apts in Franklinton, which is "the cart before the horse".
I think there is also the sense that Franklinton should not become a carbon copy of the short north but needs to maintain its own identity while becoming economically viable.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:51 PM

11,784 posts, read 9,705,627 times
I think anything west of 71 and north of downtown is and will be Columbus' prime urban real estate. I can also see "Clintonville" extending east of 71 and into the reaches of North Linden, which already is pretty nice til you get down to Weber Road or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or