Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 12:30 AM

8 posts, read 20,982 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'm currently contemplating a move from Denver, CO, to the Columbus, OH, area to take a consulting job. I'd be traveling a good bit throughout a church district comprising the western edge of Pennsylvania, all of West Virginia, and the northern and eastern two-thirds of Ohio. Because I will be setting up my office at home, I have a choice of where "home" might be. My two first considerations are Pittsburgh, PA, and Columbus, OH.

While I suppose I'll be spending a good amount of time on the road (like Jack Kerouac!), I'd like the place I call "home" to be ethnically, racially, economically, culturally, and religiously diverse. Creativity and the arts are also big draws for me, so what time I spend "at home" would be occupied with theatre (especially non-Broadway stuff--more "black-box" and experimental), music (classical, jazz, ethnic/folk), and visual arts...I have advanced degrees (and yes, still some interest) in art and architectural history and "divinity" (theological training).

Since I'd be away frequently, I'd be looking for a secure rental--apartment/townhouse or high-rise place that's managed, in an urban environment. I don't do very well in the suburbs!

I'd appreciate any insight, opinions, knowledge, experience, or even biases anyone might share regarding Columbus and/or Pittsburgh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2009, 07:42 AM

158 posts, read 402,008 times
I would say Pittsburgh. In comparing the two, I would say Columbus would be lacking a lot of the things you said you are looking for and has a very small "urban" feel to it

Old 12-09-2009, 09:01 AM

249 posts, read 606,750 times
I would Defitinely choose columbus much or opportunity as far as jobs, the city is alot larger and cleaner and as far as ethnic and racial diversity columbus hands down. I went to school in Pittsburgh and there is no racial diversity.

Old 12-09-2009, 09:41 AM

1,340 posts, read 2,793,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uurevmpc View Post
Hello,

I'm currently contemplating a move from Denver, CO, to the Columbus, OH, area to take a consulting job. I'd be traveling a good bit throughout a church district comprising the western edge of Pennsylvania, all of West Virginia, and the northern and eastern two-thirds of Ohio. Because I will be setting up my office at home, I have a choice of where "home" might be. My two first considerations are Pittsburgh, PA, and Columbus, OH.

While I suppose I'll be spending a good amount of time on the road (like Jack Kerouac!), I'd like the place I call "home" to be ethnically, racially, economically, culturally, and religiously diverse. Creativity and the arts are also big draws for me, so what time I spend "at home" would be occupied with theatre (especially non-Broadway stuff--more "black-box" and experimental), music (classical, jazz, ethnic/folk), and visual arts...I have advanced degrees (and yes, still some interest) in art and architectural history and "divinity" (theological training).

Since I'd be away frequently, I'd be looking for a secure rental--apartment/townhouse or high-rise place that's managed, in an urban environment. I don't do very well in the suburbs!

I'd appreciate any insight, opinions, knowledge, experience, or even biases anyone might share regarding Columbus and/or Pittsburgh!
The theatre,classical and esp. jazz scenes are far and away better in Pittsburg. It's a real city,theres no there there in Columbus.
There is a real mix of eastern european and balkan people along with the usual Irish, black etc.
The Orthodox and various national churches have a real presence (pun intended)which is quite unusual for a US city.

Old 12-09-2009, 10:32 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,101,372 times
Based on your interest I'd probably go with Pittsburgh. I think that Columbus is somewhat better than Pittsburgh for folks who are in the process of raising families, or folks who place safety as a top level concern.

You seem to be a bit more urban oriented, and with your type of interest I think Pittsburgh's downtown and surrounding urban area may be a bit more varied and substantial. I like the downtown area a lot, and also the area about two miles directly east of downtown, at the western edge of U of Pittsburgh.

Old 12-10-2009, 02:40 PM

1,463 posts, read 6,202,589 times
My 2 cents....your description believe it or not is kind of vague...if you mean divese that multiple communities live next to each other well Pittsburgh is the place...but if you mean diverse, where people of different backgrounds intermingle I would think Columbus is the place due to so many college educated people from multiple backgrounds residing in the same area and interacting...

Old 12-10-2009, 02:59 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,846,116 times
I'd have to go Pittsburgh. It has the dynamic of being a "large city" and feeling like it, due to its age. Columbus does not have this advantage, since it's growth is primarily newer.

Old 12-11-2009, 02:43 AM

1,692 posts, read 1,949,621 times
I live in Columbus, but fell in love with Pittsburgh for all of the reasons you described. Columbus has a lot of things going for it, but it just doesn't compete with Pittsburgh on the level of cultural amenities. No city in Ohio does, really.

Old 12-13-2009, 01:30 AM

269 posts, read 774,763 times
As soon as I saw Columbus or Pittsburgh before even reading the whole thing, I automatically thought Pittsburgh. After looking at the criteria you stated, my answer is Pittsburgh. Pittsburgh has that feel and look of things that bigger cities have such as arts, architecture, coffee shops, culture, graffiti, etc; just on a smaller scale. I find Columbus to be sterile and culturally bland.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:18 AM

314 posts, read 636,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
My 2 cents....your description believe it or not is kind of vague...if you mean divese that multiple communities live next to each other well Pittsburgh is the place...but if you mean diverse, where people of different backgrounds intermingle I would think Columbus is the place due to so many college educated people from multiple backgrounds residing in the same area and interacting...

Diversity is not this town's strong suit by a mile. Lots of college educated people, maybe, but they all went to Ohio State, just like their parents did, and just like their children did. Columbus is great at drawing in people from about 200~ miles around, but that's hardly diversity.

/person from 200+ miles away, missing a truly diverse town

I wish I was in Pittsburgh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus