Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2017, 06:27 PM

123 posts, read 190,400 times

Advertisements

Hello,

my daughter and I will be moving into our new apartment near Minerva Park (northeast) at the beginning of April. We don't know much about Ohio or Columbus but we're totally excited! This is an adventure and we cannot wait to start our new lives. Anyway, I'm looking for a little info about that area and things to do for 2 females with 2 dogs. We like the outdoors; camping, hiking, swimming - but we also like to shop, catch a movie, go out to dinner, or enjoy a festival or browse a flea market. What's the crime like? I've been trying to find good stats but I'm not having much luck.

We will be starting our job hunt as well. What's that like for such a large city? Seems like we would be able to find jobs quickly with all of the opportunities in Columbus. Am I right? I work in the utility and/or purchasing world or typical office admin. My daughter is a certified preschool teacher. We are both in college and will transfer our credits and start next Fall.

We are coming from a town of 100k population so Columbus is going to feel like a whole new universe to us! Any advice? Life has a funny way of working out. I knew we were moving but I wasn't planning on moving to Ohio. It has turned out to be a pleasant surprise so far. We can't wait! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2017, 06:49 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
22 & new to the city!! What to do??

If you like camping, check out Ohio State Parks, especially the Hocking Hills.

Other camping options include the Wayne National Forest, Ohio State forests, and AEP ReCreation Land.

https://www.aep.com/environment/conservation/recland/

Good luck!!!

Old 02-14-2017, 06:58 PM

Absolutely! Will do, thank you!!

Old 02-15-2017, 06:28 AM

57 posts, read 117,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlc74 View Post
Hello,

my daughter and I will be moving into our new apartment near Minerva Park (northeast) at the beginning of April. We don't know much about Ohio or Columbus but we're totally excited! This is an adventure and we cannot wait to start our new lives. Anyway, I'm looking for a little info about that area and things to do for 2 females with 2 dogs. We like the outdoors; camping, hiking, swimming - but we also like to shop, catch a movie, go out to dinner, or enjoy a festival or browse a flea market. What's the crime like? I've been trying to find good stats but I'm not having much luck.

We will be starting our job hunt as well. What's that like for such a large city? Seems like we would be able to find jobs quickly with all of the opportunities in Columbus. Am I right? I work in the utility and/or purchasing world or typical office admin. My daughter is a certified preschool teacher. We are both in college and will transfer our credits and start next Fall.

We are coming from a town of 100k population so Columbus is going to feel like a whole new universe to us! Any advice? Life has a funny way of working out. I knew we were moving but I wasn't planning on moving to Ohio. It has turned out to be a pleasant surprise so far. We can't wait! Thank you!
Welcome to Columbus! Everything you're looking for, Columbus has. Minerva Park is a nice neighborhood that is very affordable. I haven't spent too much time there, but I've heard wonderful things. As far as outdoorsy activities are concerned, Ohio isn't the best but we have plenty of places to go. Locally, the Metro Parks system is pretty expansive. Blendon Woods, just down OH-161 from Minerva Park is a great park. Some of my other favorites are Chestnut Ridge, Clear Creek (both down in Fairfield Co.), Highbanks, and Sharon Woods. About an hour SE is the Hocking Hills region, with 6/7 distinct parks/areas. A few are even connected via trail system. About an hour NE is Mohican State Park; I've never been there but have heard great things as well.

Festivals are synonymous with Columbus springs and summers. Pretty much every weekend from Memorial Day to Labor Day, there is a festival going on somewhere in the city. Over the past few years, a lot of festivals have started moving to the new-ish Scioto Mile riverfront in downtown Columbus. Here is last year's list.

The Columbus job market is pretty strong. Most cities took a hit during the recession, but Columbus fared better than most. The Columbus economy is driven by healthcare, banking, education, insurance, and government. You should be able to find work pretty easily. Most of the school districts are expanding as well, so your daughter has plenty of options too if she wishes to join a district.

Columbus city may have 850k+ and the metro might be 2mil+, but it has a small-town feel to it. We have traffic during rush hour, but it pales in comparison to other major cities. As along as you're around 270 (the outerbelt), you're never more than 20 minutes from downtown or 30 minutes from the other side of town.

Old 02-15-2017, 07:43 AM

See the Mohican Region here:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Day.Trips.html

Note IMO especially the unique Malabar Farm State Park there. While the historic and charming Big House is the major attraction there, it also has good trails.

Note that Malabar Farm uniquely also has a hostel and, not well known, 15 semi-primitive campgrounds. This rolling farmlands in this area are beautiful, especially in the autumn. Perhaps exit I-71 at exit 151 and head east on Route 95 (to the west on Route 95 is Mt. Gilead State Park, which I've never explored) to Malabar Farm. Small farming cities such as Fredericktown and Butler are on Route 95. There also is Ankenytown, which now is in the nascent stages of becoming an exurb of Mansfield, but once was a thriving farm community with a local elevator and a railroad (the elevated track bed of which is still evident running parallel to Route 95 on its western side between Ankenytown and Butler). Perhaps take a half hour and go uphill from Route 95 and explore the small churches and old store fronts of Ankenytown. Knox Lake is just east of Ankenytown.

Lodging and Camping

I suspect that Malabar Farm offers one of the better maple syrup adventures near Columbus.

Events

After visiting Malabar Farm, head north on Route 603 to see some great hillside farming, Charles Mill Lake and Mifflin, another small rural community in Ohio that has seen its better days (it was bypassed by the new Route 30 freeway as a major east-west route). Return on Route 30 and I-71 to Columbus.

Of course, not far from Malabar Farm is Mohican State Park, famous for its covered bridge, forest tower for leaf peeping (enhanced by the adjacent Mohican State Park), and Clear Fork Gorge, a National Natural Landmark. Mohican has a state lodge, where I believe you can purchase access to its Olympic-sized indoor pool. Campers at Mohican have an outdoor Olympic pool. Mohican State Forest offers primitive camping. And there is camping at nearby Pleasant Hill Lake Park as well as a swimming beach.

Camping - MWCD

Check out Pleasant Hill Dam, both from above and below.

http://www.lrh.usace.army.mil/Missio...ant-Hill-Lake/

Covered Bridge to Pleasant Hill Dam Trail - Ohio | AllTrails.com

The Mohican Region is not a bad base to explore Ohio Amish Country for the first time.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...h.Country.html

As we're now in maple sugar season, one of my favorite sugar bushes is at Lake Metroparks Farmpark in Kirtland, Ohio. Here you also can explore newborn farm animals, often from endangered livestock species. Call ahead to try to ascertain if the sugar bush will be in operation (some times it does not operate at the time of its Maple Sugaring Weekends, depending upon weather). Concurrent with its maple sugar season, Lake Metroparks also offers a very good quilt festival. The Red Roof Inn in Willoughby near Kirtland is an excellent place to stay on a budget, and also offers very east access to Holden Arboretum, Historic Kirtland, the Kirtland Temple the James A. Garfield Historic Site, and additional trails at Chapin Forest, Penitentiary Glen, Mentor Headlands Beach State Park, the Mentor Lagoons Nature Preserve, and the North Chagrin Reservation (which also contains a National Natural Landmark) of the Cleveland Metroparks.

All of the National Natural Landmarks in Ohio are worth visits, including nearby Glen Helen Nature Preserve in Yellow Springs.

https://www.glenhelen.org/

https://www.nps.gov/subjects/nnlandm...e.htm?State=OH

If you want a day-long, indoor winter hike, visit the gigantic National Museum of the U.S. Air Force in Dayton. Huffman Prairie Flying Field has some little-used trails to explore the native Ohio prairie, as well as a loop trail to explore one of the most historic locations in the world.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...The.World.html

If you want something very special for a camper, try to make a reservation for the single campground at Lake Erie Bluffs of the Lake Metroparks system. This may be the single best campsite in Ohio. It's a magnificent way to experience Lake Erie, especially for the first time. There are lakefront campgrounds at Geneva State Park (which also offers wine tours from its state lodge there), and at East Harbor State Park. The campgrounds at both state parks are very tight.

Lake Erie Bluffs Campsite A | Lake Metroparks

Picture Ohio! – Lake Erie Bluffs, Lake County – Ian Adams Photography

Purchasing Ian Adams' books and checking out his web offerings is a great way to explore Ohio.

Cuyahoga Valley National Park also offers some limited camping opportunities (understand if you'll have to backpack to the sites). There are private campgrounds nearby.

https://www.nps.gov/cuva/planyourvisit/camping.htm

There are many more camping adventures in Ohio. So keep a journal.

Old 02-15-2017, 09:14 AM

Ohio trails:

Best Trails in Ohio | AllTrails.com

Old 02-15-2017, 03:44 PM

135 posts, read 183,452 times
Minerva Park... I mean, it's not the worst place you would live, but I don't think anyone has ever really been excited to be there. It seems OK, but it's near some less-desirable areas. Why did you choose to live there instead of, say, Westerville, which is nearby?

You're in between two of the big shopping areas, Easton and Polaris, with all their attendant attractions. Uptown Westerville is nice, too. If you're into Somalian culture, or you'd like to learn, there's a big Somalian neighborhood down Westerville Road/Route 3. Your proximity to the 161/270 interchange puts you within 20 minutes of just about anything in the city, so your options are pretty wide open.

The best of the MetroParks is Highbanks, which isn't far from you. Blendon Woods is generally regarded as the second-best, and that's very close.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:19 PM

That is a lot of really solid information, thank you so much! We cannot wait to begin our adventure and see what your fine city (and state) has to offer! I will make sure to check out some of those suggested sites!

Old 02-17-2017, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wlc74 View Post
That is a lot of really solid information, thank you so much! We cannot wait to begin our adventure and see what your fine city (and state) has to offer! I will make sure to check out some of those suggested sites!
If you like birding, check this out, May 5-14.

The Biggest Week in American Birding - Home

Cedar Point, which bills itself as the roller coast capital of the world, opens May 6, and often offers great bargains in May.

https://www.cedarpoint.com/play/events/opening-weekend

Old 02-18-2017, 12:36 PM

19 posts, read 24,336 times
You picked a good time to come in what has to be the warmest winter ever. Welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus