Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2017, 10:10 AM

762 posts, read 1,741,016 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I am interested in hearing from people who have moved to Columbus from somewhere else. I've posted a similar thread in the Cincinnati sub-forum, but would love to learn more about Columbus! I'm looking for your subjective opinions and personal experiences, rather than collected data and statistics.

It doesn't matter how long ago you moved there, but please feel free to share how long it's been and where you were before, if you like, and go into as little or as much detail as you want.
  1. How has Columbus compared to where you came from?

2. Do you live within city limits or in a nearby suburb?

3. Are you happy with your housing? Please say whether you are an apartment dweller or homeowner.

4. a. How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation.

b. If you do use public transportation, whether regularly or occasionally, how would you rate the system(s) there, and how does it compare to where you lived before?

c. Would you consider Columbus a walkable city, or at least one with a walkable downtown/shopping district?

5. Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term?

6. How would you rate the arts and cultural offerings (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, festivals, etc.) in Columbus?

7. Please share your opinion on the cost of living there. In your experience and from what you've observed, do you think salaries in Columbus keep pace with the COL?

8. What do you like best about Columbus?

9. What do you like least?

THANK YOU!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2017, 10:29 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,236,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citychik View Post
Hello all,
I am interested in hearing from people who have moved to Columbus from somewhere else. I've posted a similar thread in the Cincinnati sub-forum, but would love to learn more about Columbus! I'm looking for your subjective opinions and personal experiences, rather than collected data and statistics.

It doesn't matter how long ago you moved there, but please feel free to share how long it's been and where you were before, if you like, and go into as little or as much detail as you want.
  1. How has Columbus compared to where you came from? Moved here from Cleveland in late 1999. It's just OK, at best.

2. Do you live within city limits or in a nearby suburb? Live in Hilliard, a suburb.

3. Are you happy with your housing? Please say whether you are an apartment dweller or homeowner. I own a condo, pretty happy with it.

4. a. How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation. Columbus is very car-dependent. Yes, I have a car.

b. If you do use public transportation, whether regularly or occasionally, how would you rate the system(s) there, and how does it compare to where you lived before? Never use public transportation.

c. Would you consider Columbus a walkable city, or at least one with a walkable downtown/shopping district? Only parts of downtown are walkable. Some suburbs have nice little downtown areas that have walkable shops and restaurants, but you really need a car in Columbus.

5. Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term? Moved here for work reasons. 100% will not retire here.

6. How would you rate the arts and cultural offerings (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, festivals, etc.) in Columbus? Not a museum/gallery type person, but there seem to be a lot of arts/cultural stuff downtown.

7. Please share your opinion on the cost of living there. In your experience and from what you've observed, do you think salaries in Columbus keep pace with the COL? Housing, compared to most other bigger cities is cheap. Property taxes in Franklin County are higher than most other metro areas. Don't know about how salaries are in general.

8. What do you like best about Columbus? The economy here is very strong.

9. What do you like least? Zero natural beauty. Unless you consider the ugly brown Scioto River "scenic". No NFL/NBA/MLB sports teams. Winter sucks...lol.

THANK YOU!

Hope this helps.

Old 04-07-2017, 12:50 PM

64 posts, read 122,652 times
Quote:
Hello all,

Moved here in 2006 as a young newlywed from San Antonio, Texas, a much larger but more sprawling city.
    It was/is refreshingly different in most ways. Granted, SA has changed a LOT for the better since I left, but at the time I moved here I was impressed by how educated the population was and how much effort and money is put into local cultural events, parks, libraries, etc. This is true not only for Columbus but also its surrounding (affluent) suburbs. It's much, much easier to drive here and you can get from any part of the city to any other part within 30 minutes, usually. In SA I thought somewhere was "nearby" if it was within a half-hour drive, and now I avoid highways for the most part because there's so much I can do and see within a smaller radius.

We started in German Village, and I used to walk to and from work downtown (no car). Then moved to Clintonville, which was great at that stage of life. Now with two kids, we live in Westerville and love it.

3. Are you happy with your housing? Please say whether you are an apartment dweller or homeowner.
    Yes. I feel that Westerville especially provides a wonderful quality of life for the price.

4. a. How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation.
    See above. Very easy to get around via car. I don't think public transport is the greatest here. FWIW, I do live in a suburb but could easily walk to a large selection of shopping and dining if I needed to, via our well-kept walking/biking paths and sidewalks.

b. If you do use public transportation, whether regularly or occasionally, how would you rate the system(s) there, and how does it compare to where you lived before?
    n/a

c. Would you consider Columbus a walkable city, or at least one with a walkable downtown/shopping district?
    You can theoretically walk from German Village all the way to the OSU campus via High Street if you want to. I think it's pretty walkable. The nicer suburbs also have cute down towns that are pretty walkable.

5. Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term?
    Yes. I like how moderate and non-bombastic and "normal" it is here compared to where I came from. I LOVE that it is not swelteringly hot here like Texas, and that if you put on a coat, you can walk around outside most days of the year without dying of heat stroke. I like that it is full of transplants like myself, and therefore not snobby or insular. It may not be in-you-face friendly like it is in the South, but people are pretty genuine and kind.

6. How would you rate the arts and cultural offerings (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, festivals, etc.) in Columbus?
    The festivals are nice. The museums are actually better in my hometown, but then it is a much larger city.

7. Please share your opinion on the cost of living there. In your experience and from what you've observed, do you think salaries in Columbus keep pace with the COL?
    It seems very affordable, especially for the great quality of life.

The seasons. Tall trees (compared to south Texas). The pride the local communities out into their parks systems and libraries.

The food. There's no end of variations on "American" cuisine. People genuinely love chicken wings and burgers here, which astounds me. Definitely miss the ethnic food back home.

THANK YOU!

Last edited by carlek; 04-07-2017 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: layout

Old 04-07-2017, 03:11 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,052,888 times
Quote:
Hello all,

I moved to the Columbus area in 2015 from Beavercreek, Ohio, an affluent Dayton, Ohio, suburb.

Coming from a smaller metro in Ohio, one thing I like about Columbus is the vibrant feel to the economy. Where Dayton was/is built around "dirty" or "heavy" manufacturing, that build-out lends to an older environment with an insular population that has been in the area for generations. It's suburbs tend to be mostly long-time Dayton residents that moved out during the period of white flight in the 70's and 80's. Yet at the same time, it can be transient in nature due to the largest single site employer in Ohio, Wright-Patterson AFB. This means that where I lived, just south of WPAFB, many of my friends in school came from other places in the US, or even other countries. It brought a slightly more multi-cultural aspect to a small Ohio city. No where near a Washington DC, NYC, LA, but more eye-opening than similar parts of Toledo, Youngstown or Akron (at least IMO).

Columbus appears to be much younger at heart. Not only that, with its transient atmosphere, it is one of the few places in Ohio that has true growth. The economy is also less reliant on manufacturing and government defense and is more diversified, across many professional and retail service industries. It also isn't as big as a Washington DC / Northern Virginia / Maryland metro, where I and my family are originally from. It makes navigating the region much easier.

Outside of my friends who had military parents, I was one of the few not originally from Dayton/Beavercreek in my high school circle of friends. So being in a place with a more true non-military, relocated population, I don't feel as much of an outsider.

I live in Gahanna, which is north of the airport and NE of central Columbus. It sits outside I-270.

I like my housing. Renting is a little expensive for what you get. But it isn't insanely coastal-like expensive either. I can afford a 1-bedroom early 90's styled apartment in a well kept complex. Appliances aren't stainless steel, but they are new. The complex is well managed, landscaped professionally and is walkable to other nearby shopping centers.

Easy enough. I'm not there during the weekly rush hour as I travel for work across the US. I can be out my door and at the airport boarding gate (meaning through security) in 30-35 minutes. Caveat: I have TSA Precheck.

It isn't very efficient. It has potential, if only people would allow it to develop. Columbus is certainly a car town.

As mentioned, High Street between OSU and German Village is walkable. Italian Village, Short North, Victorian Village, downtown and German Village are walkable. Everything else is a little isolated, but some places have sidewalk access to small retail centers on main thoroughfares.

I am happy with the move I made. If I move, it would be for work reasons.

Decent. Cleveland is better, but cities with more history tend to offer better cultural options. Library system is excellent.

I believe so. But my budget is skewed by my work travel.

Friendly people. Safe in most places. Decent COL and not too big.

A little distant to Cleveland or Cincinnati for major pro sport teams. I might be spoiled because Cincinnati and its offerings, which are better, were only 45-60 minutes away from Beavercreek.

THANK YOU!

With the job I have, I get to see a large swath of the country. As of now, I am typing this in Houston. While nice, it can get hot! And sticky hot. People complain about Ohio humidity have never been to this part of Texas in June/July/August. It is nice now (though a little sticky), but when I am done around the end of April...

Old 04-08-2017, 10:06 AM

730 posts, read 765,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
With the job I have, I get to see a large swath of the country. As of now, I am typing this in Houston. While nice, it can get hot! And sticky hot. People complain about Ohio humidity have never been to this part of Texas in June/July/August. It is nice now (though a little sticky), but when I am done around the end of April...
I lived in Houston for close to 20 years. Those rare days, in Columbus, that when you walk out the door and can feel the air due to the humidity always makes me think of being back in Houston where that is common.

Old 04-08-2017, 10:26 PM

224 posts, read 293,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlek View Post

Moved here in 2006 as a young newlywed from San Antonio, Texas, a much larger but more sprawling city.
How has Columbus compared to where you came from?

It was/is refreshingly different in most ways. Granted, SA has changed a LOT for the better since I left, but at the time I moved here I was impressed by how educated the population was and how much effort and money is put into local cultural events, parks, libraries, etc. This is true not only for Columbus but also its surrounding (affluent) suburbs. It's much, much easier to drive here and you can get from any part of the city to any other part within 30 minutes, usually. In SA I thought somewhere was "nearby" if it was within a half-hour drive, and now I avoid highways for the most part because there's so much I can do and see within a smaller radius.

Do you live within city limits or in a nearby suburb?
We started in German Village, and I used to walk to and from work downtown (no car). Then moved to Clintonville, which was great at that stage of life. Now with two kids, we live in Westerville and love it.

Are you happy with your housing? Please say whether you are an apartment dweller or homeowner.
Yes. I feel that Westerville especially provides a wonderful quality of life for the price.

a. How would you describe the experience of getting around in the city for shopping and work, and accessibility of stores/services/businesses you need? Please share whether you have a car or use public transportation.
See above. Very easy to get around via car. I don't think public transport is the greatest here. FWIW, I do live in a suburb but could easily walk to a large selection of shopping and dining if I needed to, via our well-kept walking/biking paths and sidewalks.

n/a

You can theoretically walk from German Village all the way to the OSU campus via High Street if you want to. I think it's pretty walkable. The nicer suburbs also have cute down towns that are pretty walkable.

Have you been happy with the move you made? Do you think you'll stay put long-term?
Yes. I like how moderate and non-bombastic and "normal" it is here compared to where I came from. I LOVE that it is not swelteringly hot here like Texas, and that if you put on a coat, you can walk around outside most days of the year without dying of heat stroke. I like that it is full of transplants like myself, and therefore not snobby or insular. It may not be in-you-face friendly like it is in the South, but people are pretty genuine and kind.

How would you rate the arts and cultural offerings (museums, theaters, galleries, concerts, festivals, etc.) in Columbus?
The festivals are nice. The museums are actually better in my hometown, but then it is a much larger city.

Please share your opinion on the cost of living there. In your experience and from what you've observed, do you think salaries in Columbus keep pace with the COL?
It seems very affordable, especially for the great quality of life.

What do you like best about Columbus?
The seasons. Tall trees (compared to south Texas). The pride the local communities out into their parks systems and libraries.

What do you like least?
The food. There's no end of variations on "American" cuisine. People genuinely love chicken wings and burgers here, which astounds me. Definitely miss the ethnic food back home.

I currently live in Texas and I can attest to everything you have said. I hate driving here, it takes forever to go anywhere. It's like Texas didn't put much thought into their highway systems at all, I especially hate their on and off ramps here. I think they are very dangerous.

SA has an awesome park system and trail system, it really is one of the best in the country if you ask me.

I was considering to live in SA for the longest time, one of the things that really bothered me was the economy and the really low wages.

I agree with you that the State of Texas doesn't seem to put much money into their park systems, but SA is getting there.

I used to live in Ohio and I agree with every statement you have made, I believe people in the Mid-west are better educated and are more friendlier than they are here.

I plan on moving back to Ohio in June bc that is how much I literally hate here.

Old 04-09-2017, 09:42 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,077,883 times
Quote:
Hello all,

-I came from suburban northern/central New Jersey. Columbus has a much stronger sense of community, more activities for young people and a realistic cost of living. It's less ethnically diverse in Columbus than NJ but there's much more socioeconomic diversity.

I live in city limits technically but where I live blends into upper middle class/affluent suburban municipalities. It offers easy access to OSU, Downtown/Short North and Grandview ave.

I live in a large apartment complex. I like aspects about it (safety, affordability, amenities) but I want to move closer to downtown/a more urban neighborhood.

Getting around Columbus is extremely simple via car. Pretty much everywhere in the metro area that you will use is within 15-30 minutes maximum. I use uber with extreme frequency and the average wait time is 5-7 minutes.

In the past I used the COTA bus everyday to get work downtown. COTA is efficient for going up and down high street but I wouldn't want to rely on it to do crosstown trips. I would say it's a 5/10.

Central Columbus is highly walkable (The University District, Old North Columbus, downtown/arena district, Short North, German Village, Victorian Village, Italian Village etc.) Columbus has annexed a ton of land over the years so there are a substantial amount of suburban/suburban-esque areas once you get away from the core of the city. Plenty of Columbus suburbs have charming walkable main streets of their own like Old Worthington, Bexley, or Grandview ave.

I love it here and will be here for a while.

There's a ton to do in that department. Gallery hop, Wexner, Columbus Commons, Ohio theater etc. In summer there's basically a different festival every weekend.

-Cost of living is reasonable but increasing.

-The quick pace of growth and development
    -The people are much kinder here than in NJ/the east coast in general
    -Large concentration of educated young people

-lack of public transit options
-lack of a large body of water

THANK YOU!

Good luck

Old 04-13-2017, 04:43 PM

762 posts, read 1,741,016 times
I am so thankful to all who responded. Your feedback is helping me make some choices about where to consider for moving in the Fall. If any other transplants want to add their responses, please do - thanks again!

Old 04-14-2017, 07:25 AM

57 posts, read 116,493 times
It's weird, I don't consider myself a transplant, but I definitely am.

Quote:
Hello all,

Not an easy comparison, but it's so much better in every way. I am originally from Youngstown, moved to Columbus to go to OSU in 2004 and have been here ever since. I'm proud to say I'm from Youngstown, but it's hard to see myself moving back. Columbus is a growing city with lots of jobs/opportunities, and it's an awesome place to be right now.
    I live within the city limits in Merion Village literally a half-block south of German Village just south of Downtown.
    I am very satisfied with my housing. I am currently renting half of a double with my boyfriend, and while it's not as cheap as some of the suburbs, it's not terrible and it's worth the price to live in an urban area.
    No doubt that Columbus is a car town. COTA is very visible and I admit I only use free public transportation, which is the CBUS circular between German Village and the Short North. By car, no part of town is more than 25 minutes away (unless you're talking New Albany to Grove City or Pickerington to Dublin).
    Again, not much experience with COTA but it seems pretty reliable. The free CBUS circular is great because it gets us to the Short North (and close to campus for OSU gamedays).
    Semi-walkable. The urban core is the most walkable part of the city which is Campus south down to German/Merion Villages.
    Yes and most likely yes.
    In my 13 years of living here, I've actually never attended a Gallery Hop which I'm a little ashamed of. Festivals are everywhere and basically every weekend starting in mid-May. With 2 large arenas, concerts are always coming through town.
    COL is very reasonable. As in most areas, the housing market fluctuates and it's very competitive right now, so housing prices are higher but still very reasonable compared to major cities.
    Living in a city that doesn't have a depressed feeling like a lot of other Midwest/Rust Belt cities. It's always growing and changing.
  9. What do you like least? No rail public transportation. And the potential for worse traffic as the city keeps growing and limited land for additional roads (again, tied to to mass/public transit).
THANK YOU!

Old 04-14-2017, 02:32 PM

135 posts, read 181,540 times
1. Depends on what day you ask me. Sometimes, I think the city I grew up in (Springfield) sucks, and I'm thrilled I moved away. Sometimes, I think Columbus sucks and I wish I could talk my wife into moving back. Columbus is a lot bigger, the economy is a lot better, and I love being so close to the university. But it's a really corporate city, and that wears on me. Springfield, and for that matter Dayton and Buffalo (where my wife is from) both have a more locally-oriented, mom-and-pop business culture, especially in terms of restaurants.

2. Within the city limits, a few meters from Upper Arlington. I can sprint from my house to the city limits, and I'm pretty out of shape.

3. Satisfied enough. I mean, everyone wants to own their own huge house and land and stuff, and/or wants to live in the middle of everything. I'm in between, but I've got most things I want. I'm pretty happy I'm still renting, honestly, because maintenance isn't really my thing, so I can save some money on that. The location is exactly what I want. Ten minutes to daycare, ten minutes to work, walk to everything in Grandview. And my apartment has a giant backyard that we can grill out or play catch in. I wish my landlord were a little more responsive, but doesn't everyone? At least they're not evil.

4a. It pretty much sucks. I live in one of the more walkable areas, and I ride my bike a lot of places, but so much of everything requires a car. Once you're in the car, traffic isn't bad. Nowhere near Atlanta or anything like that. I just wish it weren't mandatory.

4b. I don't ever ride the COTA anymore, but I used to take it to work, and I would always play a game to see if I could walk to my destination (~5 miles) before the bus would catch me. That is, I'd show up at my stop a couple of minutes before the bus was supposed to get there, and when it didn't get there on time, I'd start walking the route, the idea being that the bus could then get me at the next stop, or the stop after that. I made it the entire journey, an hour-plus walk, on at least two occasions. That said, my wife rides it a fair amount to campus, and that's usually pretty reliable. The further you get from High Street/campus, the worse COTA gets.

4c. There are some walkable parts, for sure. Grandview, the Short North, some of Clintonville, uptown Westerville, etc.

5. Yes, but probably not. My wife has always planned on moving after she finished school. I guess it really depends on work.

6. Good, but not great. The libraries (not just CML, the suburban ones too) are top-notch. Franklin Park Conservatory is wonderful. CMA is pretty mediocre for a museum in a city this size, and the self-congratulatory art scene is pretty annoying.

7. I've never had trouble with my salary not keeping pace with COL, but I guess I can't speak for other people. My cost of living is probably lower than most people's.

8. The university.

9. The corporate feel, and the people it attracts. It seems like every week, one of my favorite mom-and-pop restaurants closes and is replaced by a chain. And this is probably a function of where I live, but it seems like everyone in the city is a 27-year-old bro who's into craft beer and Family Guy, or a woman who's obsessed with Ugg boots and pumpkin spice lattes. I can't really complain; I was one of those people (slightly less annoying, I hope) ten years ago. But now, get off my lawn. Harrumph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus