Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2017, 03:25 PM

4 posts, read 14,158 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I've been trying to get an IT job in the Columbus, Ohio area for a few months now but I'm starting to wonder if I should just stay in Pittsburgh?

I moved to the Pittsburgh area almost five years ago from Central PA (State College), but I have taken a liking to the Columbus area especially Ohio State.

I'm a 31-year-old male who's single with no children. I currently make $40,000 a year, but I have a lot of debt. I have an Associate's degree from a career school and almost nine years of work experience in IT Help Desk.

So given my info, should I continue to work towards Columbus? Would Columbus pay better than Pittsburgh for IT jobs? Anyone move to Columbus and regret it compared to another city?

Any information or questions would be helpful. Thank you and GO BUCKS!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2017, 03:38 PM

11,046 posts, read 12,315,973 times
I don't think there is anything wrong with looking at jobs in Cbus or Pittsburgh. But liking OSU football is not going to make your life any more meaningful than it is now.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I don't think there is anything wrong with looking at jobs in Cbus or Pittsburgh. But liking OSU football is not going to make your life any more meaningful than it is now.

I would agree with you but I have to say that Ohio State football and the university has made my life more meaningful. I've made new friends and it has given me a great opportunity to explore a proud culture. It's not the cure for happiness but college football is like a religion to me and I take it seriously.

Just curious; why mention that it wouldn't make my life more meaningful after reading my post?

Old 04-18-2017, 04:29 PM

11,046 posts, read 12,315,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by throwaway30932 View Post
I would agree with you but I have to say that Ohio State football and the university has made my life more meaningful. I've made new friends and it has given me a great opportunity to explore a proud culture. It's not the cure for happiness but college football is like a religion to me and I take it seriously.

Just curious; why mention that it wouldn't make my life more meaningful after reading my post?
Just seemed like the biggest reason for your interest in Columbus was ohio state. Maybe that's not true, just how it seemed to me. I went to osu. It's not the same to me now as not a student and not 20 anymore. Still love the buckeyes of course though.

Old 04-18-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Just seemed like the biggest reason for your interest in Columbus was ohio state. Maybe that's not true, just how it seemed to me. I went to osu. It's not the same to me now as not a student and not 20 anymore. Still love the buckeyes of course though.

Gotcha. I grew up in the Penn State/State College area and always liked it until I visited Columbus. Penn State was a huge campus but was rural where Ohio State is huge but has a city, and I've always loved cities, so Columbus with Ohio State is perfect for me. Pittsburgh is great too, but I don't understand the love for pro sports as much as college.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:48 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,079,288 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

I've been trying to get an IT job in the Columbus, Ohio area for a few months now but I'm starting to wonder if I should just stay in Pittsburgh?

I moved to the Pittsburgh area almost five years ago from Central PA (State College), but I have taken a liking to the Columbus area especially Ohio State.

I'm a 31-year-old male who's single with no children. I currently make $40,000 a year, but I have a lot of debt. I have an Associate's degree from a career school and almost nine years of work experience in IT Help Desk.

So given my info, should I continue to work towards Columbus? Would Columbus pay better than Pittsburgh for IT jobs? Anyone move to Columbus and regret it compared to another city?

I personally don't know how Columbus IT jobs' salaries compare to those of Pittsburgh.

Some questions to better help you make a decision :

1. What interests do you have?
2. What type of neighborhoods do you like, urban or suburban? Does diversity matter? What amenities are necessary?
3. What's your general budget for housing?
4. Do you know anyone in the Columbus area?
5. What's the longest consecutive time frame you have spent here?
6. What are some concerns you have about Columbus/moving?

If you can secure a job here with a company that you like then I think it's definitely worth strongly considering a move here.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye614 View Post
I personally don't know how Columbus IT jobs' salaries compare to those of Pittsburgh.

Some questions to better help you make a decision :

1. What interests do you have?
2. What type of neighborhoods do you like, urban or suburban? Does diversity matter? What amenities are necessary?
3. What's your general budget for housing?
4. Do you know anyone in the Columbus area?
5. What's the longest consecutive time frame you have spent here?
6. What are some concerns you have about Columbus/moving?

If you can secure a job here with a company that you like then I think it's definitely worth strongly considering a move here.

1. Sports, Computers/Technology, Reading/Writing, Heavy Metal Music/Concerts, Video Games, Fishing, Dogs, Volunteering

2. I like both, but I would prefer an urban area and live closer to the city. I don't mind diversity. I have to be near shopping and grocery stores which I know Columbus has plenty. I also like to be close to hospitals or health care. I also want a fitness center like a Planet Fitness near where I live.

3. $80k - $120k (depends on my new salary)

4. A few people

5. 1 week

6. One of my concerns would be if I will be able to get there. I'm guessing employers are overlooking my resume because I don't live near there? I've tried putting that I will be moving to Columbus or have a desire to move. Other than that, there's nothing as of right now that concerns me about Columbus.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:33 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,895,466 times
Quote:
Hello everyone,

My good friend living in Columbus does something in that industry and is pulling down $150k last I heard. However, when he got out of school it took him a full 3 years to land his first job. Not sure why although I suppose it could be a competitive area for that industry. Another friend does basically the same thing, but not sure on his pay scale. It also took him a while to land a job in his field. Lots of people work low level help desk jobs in Columbus, but I don't think the pay is all that great.

If you want close in and urban go with the German Village.

Old 04-22-2017, 06:20 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,079,288 times
Quote:
1. Sports, Computers/Technology, Reading/Writing, Heavy Metal Music/Concerts, Video Games, Fishing, Dogs, Volunteering

2. I like both, but I would prefer an urban area and live closer to the city. I don't mind diversity. I have to be near shopping and grocery stores which I know Columbus has plenty. I also like to be close to hospitals or health care. I also want a fitness center like a Planet Fitness near where I live.

3. $80k - $120k (depends on my new salary)

4. A few people

5. 1 week

6. One of my concerns would be if I will be able to get there. I'm guessing employers are overlooking my resume because I don't live near there? I've tried putting that I will be moving to Columbus or have a desire to move. Other than that, there's nothing as of right now that concerns me about Columbus.
In terms of your hobbies I think Columbus offers a lot.

I strongly recommend the Grandview area which offers close proximity to downtown, OSU medical center and Short North night life/restaurants. I don't know if you're familiar but Grandview ave is highly walkable and is a row of nice restaurants, bars and local shops.

Another option to check out is Harrison West/Victorian Village.

To give you an idea most new one bedroom apartments in popular areas of the city are between 1,000-1300 dollars per month (this varies of course).

Old 05-08-2017, 01:23 PM

4 posts, read 7,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
My good friend living in Columbus does something in that industry and is pulling down $150k last I heard. However, when he got out of school it took him a full 3 years to land his first job. Not sure why although I suppose it could be a competitive area for that industry. Another friend does basically the same thing, but not sure on his pay scale. It also took him a while to land a job in his field. Lots of people work low level help desk jobs in Columbus, but I don't think the pay is all that great.

If you want close in and urban go with the German Village.
The pay is better for Help Desk/Deskside than you think. I am in Phoenix right now and what I know to be there from a recruiter, is that while it is not Phoenix pay (which is on the high end), it still does not stink. I am working with a recruiter from Apex Systems and I know they work with a lot of companies, particular Huntington and Safelite. I do Help Desk and we are trying to get to the land of the Scarlet and Grey as quick as we can. I have an A+ and a Network+....pay they are looking at for me is just about 2.00 less per hour (23 vs 21) and with the cost of living being cheap in CBus, it makes it even less of a hit, if any hit at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus