Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How bad is the psychological aftermath of a Buckeye football defeat in Columbus?
A season-defining defeat, especially during the regular season, depresses the city for a day. 1 20.00%
Columbus treats Buckeye football as a game, and shrugs off a loss immediately. 3 60.00%
A season-defining loss can negatively impact Columbus for a week or more. 1 20.00%
In a way, when the Buckeyes suffer a bad season, the pain lasts until the start of the next season, especially if a loss to Michigan mars the season. 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 08:07 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times

Advertisements

A Cleveland sportscaster on Saturday night said that it would be "Therapy Sunday" in Columbus after the Buckeyes' loss to Oklahoma in a season-defining football game.

Some Columbus friends, who are indifferent Buckeye football fans, claim the city is notably depressed after a Buckeyes football defeat.

I wonder how much impact a Buckeyes football loss truly has on Columbus.

Yes, there were many Buckeye fans in Greater Cleveland, the second biggest fan base of the Buckeyes, who were not very happy on Sunday. These days, a Buckeyes football loss may sting more in Cleveland than a Browns defeat. Clevelanders generally were pleased by the competency shown by the Browns in their narrow defeat at the hands of perceived rival (one-way rivalry?) Pittsburgh on Sunday.

Likely only an Indians or Cavs play-off loss in a deciding game stings more in Cleveland currently than a Buckeyes football loss, but I do wonder how severe is the perceived psychological impact of a Buckeyes football loss in Columbus, given the huge fan and alumni base there.

A big difference in Cleveland compared to Columbus Buckeye football fans is that Cleveland pro sports fans don't expect to be in the hunt for a championship, especially a national championship, EVERY year. We also have three major teams to divert our pain when one franchise suffers a tough defeat/season. For some reason, Buckeye basketball sadly has not developed the same enthusiasm in Columbus as the Buckeye football program. Ditto for the Blue Jackets and the Crew.

Last edited by WRnative; 09-11-2017 at 08:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 08:17 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
When I was an OSU student, I remember losing a heartbreaker to Penn State at home at night. This was I think in 2011. In 2008 I remember Colt McCoy and Texas beating us in a bowl game. I also have memories of USC winning in the Shoe in 2009. All majorly disappointing. But 2 hours later, at least on campus and the surrounding area, everyone was still out and about at bars or the more studious among us at the Thompson library.

I think it's good practice to let sports bring you to great highs, but don't let it bring you down. Just a game.

Old 09-11-2017, 09:46 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,249,941 times
This early loss to a very good team is not a death sentence. If the Buckeyes win out, the win the Big Ten and get in the CFP.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:27 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,249 times
Always better to earn your loss early rather than late in the season. Either way, disappointing, but you always take the lumps at certain points. No team is immune. If anything, I am actually happier to see the Big Ten compete again (if polls and rankings really mean anything in the top 10 or 20).

Oh, I was at that USC game. It certainly did sting with a big non-conference loss at home. Was in B section that year. Some of the best games where in Block "O" North (Secondary student section to Block "O" South). Made north section freshman year miraculously. Downside to that was no seat was ever that good again.

Old 09-11-2017, 05:31 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,249 times
As for Columbus as a whole? Eh, if anyone is depressed for a particular reason, it's spending a late Saturday night out for a loss. But as mentioned, students will always continue to drink... I mean study.

World turns and there will always be next Saturday for Columbus and Buckeye football, or the soon to be Friday!!!

Old 09-12-2017, 05:29 AM

135 posts, read 183,601 times
It's hard for me to say because I'm so into it, and my friends are so into it. So it seems pretty down to me. But I don't think I'm representative. Everybody in Columbus is still a Browns fan (talk about needing therapy on Sundays!), and those that aren't have fantasy teams (or lives, ha) to pay attention to.

By the way, WRNative, I'm interested in hearing your take on Urban Meyer's recruiting. I remember you were very critical of Thad Matta for recruiting primarily outside of Ohio. Meyer's at the point now where there are only a handful of starters from in state. The talent level is undoubtedly high, but I have a nagging feeling that something has been lost. Your thoughts?

Old 09-12-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbelt View Post
By the way, WRNative, I'm interested in hearing your take on Urban Meyer's recruiting. I remember you were very critical of Thad Matta for recruiting primarily outside of Ohio. Meyer's at the point now where there are only a handful of starters from in state. The talent level is undoubtedly high, but I have a nagging feeling that something has been lost. Your thoughts?
My problem with Matta was that he was losing better players from Ohio than he was recruiting nationally.

E.g., Trey Burke wanted to play for the Buckeyes but Matta instead went with Shannon Scott. Burke ended up the national college player of the year, winning both the Wooden and Naismith awards.

Meyer so far has managed to corral the very best players from Ohio, while taking top players nationally. Of course, Meyer has many more scholarships available than the basketball program.

Matta tried to become a Duke, and destroyed the Ohio State recruiting fence around Ohio as far as basketball.

Meyer makes a concerted effort to maintain the fence as far as football.

Old 09-14-2017, 04:26 PM

1,719 posts, read 2,100,386 times
I'm a current OSU professional student (also did my undergrad here) and I hold season tickets.

The loss to Oklahoma was particularly painful because it was the opener, in general we aren't accustomed to losing and the manner in which we lost was pretty pathetic in my opinion. As Buckeye fans we put a lot of spirit and support into our team and expect a certain level of play in return.

That being said Oklahoma is a top team and they simply outplayed us and earned that victory fair and square. I was a Junior when we lost to Virginia Tech and then went on to win the national championship so I suppose you have to take the bad with the good

It negatively effected the latter part of my Saturday night but I really don't know anyone who was distraught on Sunday.

Old 09-29-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbelt View Post
Given the new NCAA basketball bribery scandal, here's an interesting take that Thad Matta's recruiting woes in recent years at Ohio State might have resulted from cheating at other schools.

NCAA basketball scandal and the reality for Ohio State basketball fans: Doug Lesmerises | cleveland.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: