U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-15-2009, 02:56 PM

6,356 posts, read 5,701,993 times
This thread is over a year old....
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 05:41 PM

94 posts, read 196,760 times
And Grove City is still beat.

Old 06-17-2009, 12:09 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,881,468 times
Westerville would be more diverse as it is in the NE side of the metro. Some parts of southern Westerville schools have sections that are in Columbus and various townships attending the schools.

Thus, it is very common to see many minorities in the schools and around/in Westerville. The heart of Columbus' middle class black community (parts of Northland) is just south of Westerville.

Second, Westerville's school system is passing levy and financially sound. Grove Cities' SW City Schools is having major financial problems and is eliminating all non-educations activities (sports and evne some arts.) I think that some of Columbus's better City Schools would offer a more diverse/well rounded education than SW City schools (post levy failure).

Third, Grove City is one of the more conservative areas in the metro. Westerville is more of a mix of moderates, liberals, and some conservatives (especially in northern Westerville.)

Fourth, Grove City is a little of a quicker commute to downtown. Westerville is not a bad commute, it is closer to major retail like Easton/Polaris, but if you live around Polaris it can be a 25-30 minute drive to downtown in traffic and this can be an issue if you really want to be in the central city quickly on many occasions.

However, I know many that live around Polaris/northern Westerville and have little complaints about work commutes, also many jobs are located around Polaris and in Westerville so you may actually be closer to work.

I hope some of this information helps.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:23 PM

90 posts, read 181,349 times
Grove City has those high SW school district taxes. I'd pick Westerville, but that's just me. Westerville also has a nicer library and lower crime.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:21 PM

197 posts, read 543,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sauerkraut145 View Post
Grove City has those high SW school district taxes. I'd pick Westerville, but that's just me. Westerville also has a nicer library and lower crime.
Westerville CSD's tax rate is higher than South-Western CSD's tax rate. Still, overall, I'd give the nod to Westerville.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:33 PM

121 posts, read 353,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
Westerville would be more diverse as it is in the NE side of the metro. Some parts of southern Westerville schools have sections that are in Columbus and various townships attending the schools.

Thus, it is very common to see many minorities in the schools and around/in Westerville. The heart of Columbus' middle class black community (parts of Northland) is just south of Westerville.

Second, Westerville's school system is passing levy and financially sound. Grove Cities' SW City Schools is having major financial problems and is eliminating all non-educations activities (sports and evne some arts.) I think that some of Columbus's better City Schools would offer a more diverse/well rounded education than SW City schools (post levy failure).

Third, Grove City is one of the more conservative areas in the metro. Westerville is more of a mix of moderates, liberals, and some conservatives (especially in northern Westerville.)

Fourth, Grove City is a little of a quicker commute to downtown. Westerville is not a bad commute, it is closer to major retail like Easton/Polaris, but if you live around Polaris it can be a 25-30 minute drive to downtown in traffic and this can be an issue if you really want to be in the central city quickly on many occasions.

However, I know many that live around Polaris/northern Westerville and have little complaints about work commutes, also many jobs are located around Polaris and in Westerville so you may actually be closer to work.

I hope some of this information helps.
If this levy does pass for the Southwestern SD, how do you think things would be in about 3 or 4 years from now as far as working in the schools?

Old 06-18-2009, 12:51 PM

925 posts, read 2,001,284 times
I like both towns espescially now that the husband and I able to get a beer in Westerville.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:48 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,881,468 times
Quote:
If this levy does pass for the Southwestern SD, how do you think things would be in about 3 or 4 years from now as far as working in the schools?
If the levy passes the schools are suppose to reinstate sports and the activities that have been cut. If the levy does not pass (this August) expect these activities and middle/high school sports to be cut until a new levy passes or by some chance the state increases its funding to the district drastically (which is not in the immediate future.)

The district does say that these cuts are not going to affect academics directly, but some more research may need to ensure there will not be some academic cuts pending (such as Foreign languages/arts classes/gym etc..) If there appear to only be mostly non-academic cuts, you are ok with the lost extra curricular activities, and you like the Grove City community then I would not rule out the area.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:38 PM

121 posts, read 353,181 times
Quote:
If the levy passes the schools are suppose to reinstate sports and the activities that have been cut. If the levy does not pass (this August) expect these activities and middle/high school sports to be cut until a new levy passes or by some chance the state increases its funding to the district drastically (which is not in the immediate future.)

The district does say that these cuts are not going to affect academics directly, but some more research may need to ensure there will not be some academic cuts pending (such as Foreign languages/arts classes/gym etc..) If there appear to only be mostly non-academic cuts, you are ok with the lost extra curricular activities, and you like the Grove City community then I would not rule out the area.
Thank so much for your info. How do you know so much about all these areas? Do you drive around and do a lot of research on them? That's pretty cool.

Old 06-19-2009, 12:03 PM

1,470 posts, read 2,206,250 times
Quote:
Westerville would be more diverse as.
Sorry, unless you finish that sentance with "a glass of whole milk" I'd have to disagree.

Anyway. Chase has a big IT location in Westerville. It is their North American 'Bunker Site'. You should be able to get a job there. Grove city, not much banking or corrections.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus