Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2018, 09:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,642 times

Advertisements

Seven years ago, my husband’s ex lost another job and was going to be looking for her third job in as many years. Two young daughters were being dragged across the country with her. We told her that if she moved back to Columbus, and stayed put, we would pay her rent until they graduated- no court order, just caring about the kids.

Graduation was last week. 👩*🎓. All is good, right? Wrong! The apartment complex, knowing full well what we were doing, has forced my husband to sign a roommate release form, even though the lease is up on June 30. Apparently, there is some approval. Now, she has been fired from another job and will not qualify for her own lease. We are ok with that, but she now has the complex thinking her 20 year old still lives there. She hasn’t since she turned 18. Mom wants her daughter to sign the lease with her and the complex is trying to tell this young lady that she has to sign the bogus roommate agreement as well. I say hogwash!

Is there any way that this complex can force a father to continue in a lease that was totally voluntary? He has never spent more than an hour there in seven years!

Opinions, please! I am furious and unable to find this particular situation online. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2018, 11:02 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,623,577 times
I have never heard of a "roommate release form." What is that? What do you mean that "there is some approval"? Did he sign the lease, or not? If he signed the lease that expires next month, he should give notice that he is not renewing the lease. She will be on her own, and if she can't qualify as the sole tenant, then she will have to move to someplace that she can afford on her own. If he signed a renewal of the lease for another term then he is on the hook for the duration of the new term.

If the daughter really doesn't live there, she shouldn't be signing anything, unless she is acting as a guarantor for her mother (i.e., she promises to pay the rent if her mother does not). If the apartment is still her primary residence, then the landlord can insist that she be added to the lease as a co-tenant, because she is no longer a minor.

All leases are voluntary. No one can force you to sign one.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:05 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,371,563 times
Tell the apartment manager to take a hike. They have no legal standing to force your husband into signing the lease. There is no legal obligation on his part to the ex wife or adult daughter for rent payment unless some sort of court order is involved.

Better still, tell whomever is bugging him about this he will be happy to take all documents involved and run them by your attorney. Doesn’t matter as to whether or not you actually have one. Watch and see their response.

Old 05-26-2018, 09:59 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,243,774 times
Try the Real Estate Forum, under “Renting”. You may get more help.

Old 05-27-2018, 07:53 PM

730 posts, read 770,764 times
I think this far more about the ex's needs due to the ex's credit than any apartment's rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: