U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 12:09 PM

971 posts, read 829,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbear30 View Post
Apparently I made it seem like I was asking whether I should move to Ohio at all when all I asked was places to look at around Columbus. Not sure why people love to see Southern California as a magical place where all we do is go to the beach everyday and spend 95% of our time outside due to the nice weather. As someone that was born and raised in Socal, that has always lived 10 minutes from the beach its overrated.
LOL...of course we know you aren't at the beach 24/7. But in Columbus, there is no beach, no ocean or natural beauty at all. I'm curious, why you are not considering Cleveland...it's the same distance from Mansfield.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2019, 12:10 PM

16 posts, read 16,384 times
Quote:
Apparently I made it seem like I was asking whether I should move to Ohio at all when all I asked was places to look at around Columbus. Not sure why people love to see Southern California as a magical place where all we do is go to the beach everyday and spend 95% of our time outside due to the nice weather. As someone that was born and raised in Socal, that has always lived 10 minutes from the beach its overrated.
I guess it's human nature to want what we don't have. Me, I've always had cold, boring, and ugly. I guess it makes sense for me to want warm, active, and pretty (palm trees and sun)

Old 03-13-2019, 12:40 PM

16 posts, read 21,640 times
Haha I don't know maybe I'm crazy. I think Ohio is naturally beautiful. But yeah we always want what don't have. I want to have more than arms length space between me and my neighbor that's not going to cost me $800k for 2 bedrooms with a square for a yard.

Old 03-13-2019, 07:27 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,551,250 times
Quote:
As someone who has lived in Columbus and now lives a mile from the ocean in Southern California, I'm going to go ahead disagree with this.

However, I think I understand the basic motivations for this move and have to echo what other posters have said-why is Cleveland not an option here? Great Lake, hub airport, NFL/MLB/NBA, interurban rail. By some estimations, Cleveland is very much a world class city. Same weather/cost as Columbus and like was said equidistant to Mansfield.

Old 03-13-2019, 11:27 PM

13,860 posts, read 24,609,565 times
Quote:
Haha I don't know maybe I'm crazy. I think Ohio is naturally beautiful. But yeah we always want what don't have. I want to have more than arms length space between me and my neighbor that's not going to cost me $800k for 2 bedrooms with a square for a yard.
I'm in Northern California but have two sons who live with their spouses in the metro LA area. I can understand what you want in a move, and those discouraging you are a bit off base relative to your original question. We lived in Columbus for 14 years, and have periodically returned to visit friends.

I'd say that the northern part of metro Columbus is pretty nice to consider. If you want a large house then I'd probably look towards Dublin or Powell. A bit less pricey but with some very nice areas is Lewis Center and Westerville. Worthington is a bit of an older area, but has very nice amenities and is convenient to the very active Short North area just to the south side of The Ohio State University.

As far as smaller towns around the city, you have a fairly decent downtown area in Delaware, about 20 miles to the north of downtown Columbus. Somewhat more modest but certainly decent areas would be Newark and Lancaster, both to the east of Columbus.

Columbus is a very pleasant metro area, with plenty to keep you entertained. The quality of life is top notch, as nice as anyplace I've ever lived.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:24 AM

134 posts, read 95,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
As someone who has lived in Columbus and now lives a mile from the ocean in Southern California, I'm going to go ahead disagree with this.

However, I think I understand the basic motivations for this move and have to echo what other posters have said-why is Cleveland not an option here? Great Lake, hub airport, NFL/MLB/NBA, interurban rail. By some estimations, Cleveland is very much a world class city. Same weather/cost as Columbus and like was said equidistant to Mansfield.
Because Cleveland's a dump that thousands move from to Columbus literally every year for 40 years?

Same weather? Why are you even on the Columbus board? You're just a Columbus bashing troll.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:24 PM

15,213 posts, read 14,865,252 times
Quote:
Honestly, pay no attention to them. There are people in every state that have some location hatred and always take the "grass is greener" view of things. This is particularly true of those Ohioans who come from declined areas in the northern part of the state, or in rural areas that have few economic prospects. Columbus is neither of those. It's vibrant, growing and increasingly diverse. Yes, Ohio has 4 seasons, which anyone who went to elementary school already knew about the northern states. To no one's surprise, it is different from California in many ways. That has not stopped many Californians from moving to Columbus and being very happy with it, the bitter haters and trolls notwithstanding.

As for where you should look, there are almost no communities of any size in the greater Columbus metro not seeing growth, but it really depends on the size you're looking for, as well as access to local amenities.

For urban suburbs of high quality, I would suggest the standard Upper Arlington, Grandview Heights and Bexley. They are all inner, old suburbs that had plenty of nearby amenities and are at least, in parts, walkable. Schools in these suburbs are also excellent. The problems with them is that their location is also cause for very high demand for their limited housing. Be prepared for a fight to get the house you like, and to pay more than listed price. That said, coming from California, sticker shock may not hit you as much.

Good urban neighborhoods within the city of Columbus include Clintonville, Northwest Columbus, German Village, Downtown, and most areas in between. Schools are not so good in these places, but there are highly-rated public schools in some of them, as well as private options.

Urban options that are up and coming but still are iffy in some places include Olde Towne East, Merion Village, Schumacher Place, Franklinton and Weinland Park. These are all now seeing steady development and investment and are primed to become nice neighborhoods in the future. Weinland Park and Merion Village are neighborhoods that have seen the most advancement.

Outer suburbs that have great schools and higher prices would include Worthington, Dublin and New Albany, the last being the furthest suburb from Downtown.

More middle-class, but still nice suburbs include Hilliard, Westerville, Gahanna and Grove City.

If you're looking for communities in other counties within the metro, Delaware, Marysville, Circleville, Granville, Johnstown and maybe London are all okay.

Last edited by jbcmh81; 03-14-2019 at 12:37 PM..

Old 03-14-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
I’d definitely stay in Southern California. You will hate winters her, as well as no beaches, no ocean, no mountains. Zero natural beauty. You’d have to drive a couple hours to Cleveland to get to Lake Erie. Sure, housing is cheaper here, but it’s one of very few advantages. When it’s January and it’s -15 below with a polar vortex, and will wish you were not here.
I find the Hocking Hills and SE Ohio to be beautiful. I like the Cuyahoga Valley, the Lake Erie islands, even farm country. To say there is no natural beauty because there are no mountains like the Rockies or something is just narrow-minded.

I love the cold. I love winter. I love all 4 seasons. People make winter miserable because they're boring people who don't know what to do with themselves. I loved going on winter hikes in the local metro parks, in having BBQs and doing the Christmas Gallery Hop in the falling snow. I loved going camping in the middle of January or staying in a cabin with friends and enjoying a good weekend. Or seeing shows at theaters... hell anything. Because life is too short to always be wishing you were somewhere else, not seeing or appreciating the things you have in front of you. I've lived in Florida, a place many Ohioans move to because all they care about is "beach and palm trees". If you think that cultural wasteland full of humidity, bugs and overcrowded beaches is paradise, go for it. Being happy, though, is a choice.

Old 03-14-2019, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbeechuk View Post
Most food is cheaper in Southern California, especially fruits and vegetables. Property taxes are much cheaper than Ohio, at least the percentage you pay per property value. Yes, utilities are a higher rate there, but they don't use AC or heat very often, so that's a wash, at the least.

I'm curious why the OP isn't considering Cleveland. It's the same distance from Mansfield, and has much more culture, a massive Lake, and in general has more things to do.
So your argument is Ohio sucks compared to SoCal, but move to Cleveland where even the locals move away?

Old 03-14-2019, 01:06 PM

16 posts, read 21,640 times
Thank you a million times for your suggestions and just getting straight to the point. I will check out all of these suburbs and area. I just googled Hocking Hills for fun, and holy moly so beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or