U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-15-2019, 09:05 AM
 
134 posts, read 95,593 times
Reputation: 133

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
You will need to get used to not just cold weather in the winter, but uncomfortably hot weather in the summer, as well as many many many many cloudy days where you don't see the sun at all. You are going from a climate that has probably 300 comfortable ( highs between 60-85 degrees) days a year, to a climate that has about 50 comfortable days a year. That is a shock. Prepare for it to be uncomfortable outside most of the time and gloomy 8 months out of the year. Oh and spring sucks in Ohio, you get one good day out of 4. The only 4 months you can count on for sun are June- Sept. You will not realize your mistake until you are in Ohio. Plus, Columbus is probably the blandest most generic city of over 500,000 people in the country, there is literally no identity here except Ohio State, and this is coming from a huge Ohio State fan.
Who defines "comfortable"? I'm uncomfortable maybe 5 days per year. Some people like the rain, and cloudy days. For one it makes "perfect" days that much better. Second, there's something about the processes that define seasons. It's like a microcosm of life itself. Third, it's not like you can't do anything because it's not sunny every day. When I go on vacation out west I get tired of the same exact weather every day: hot and sunny. That is not "comfortable" to me. Like Bill Hicks said, only reptiles feel that way about that kind of weather.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-15-2019, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Central Ohio
882 posts, read 384,745 times
Reputation: 2099
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Here is a very good read why the optimism is so high in Cleveland.



NEOtrans: Cleveland, redefined
This is EXACTLY what I noticed shortly after moving here...and I've only been here 3 months....license plates from all over the country, not just mine! And I couldn't imagine people were here for the weather in January! I know you all think I'm kidding or crazy, but it's going to be a brief stint in Cleveland for me...I am very happy for Cleveland and Clevelanders, but I want someplace where I can find that nice house for $150,000 and apparently, it's no longer here! At least not in the parts of the area where I would be interested in buying. Should have made my move a couple of years sooner!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-16-2019, 08:41 PM
 
37 posts, read 47,664 times
Reputation: 35
Born in Cleveland area, went to college in Columbus, and having lived in SoCal for several years, I can relate to some things. If family is in Mansfield, you could entertain the greater Cleveland area too. What about Medina County? Construction can be tough in the winter either place. I am trying to move back soon and am also looking at the Columbus area. Honestly, I think you will find enough to do in Columbus or Cleveland. There are parts of Cleveland I like better than Columbus, entertainment wise. But, they are 2 hours apart. So, you can drive to either easily. Good luck on your move!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2019, 08:29 AM
 
Location: NKY's Campbell Co.
1,956 posts, read 4,275,816 times
Reputation: 1047
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I'm more afraid of entering the Cleveland forum than in the danger of Cleveland having a Seattle-level boom.

I'm well aware of what's going on in Downtown Cleveland and a few other neighborhoods, and I applaud it. But none of that makes it remotely close to a boom. If any other city in Ohio is more poised to see significantly faster growth, it's Cincinnati. Just don't tell Cincinnati posters that or we'll never hear the end of it.
LOL! That is so true. It would never end. Probably more annoying than the old Lamb Chops song...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2019, 09:32 AM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
15,153 posts, read 14,857,179 times
Reputation: 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaubleau View Post
You will need to get used to not just cold weather in the winter, but uncomfortably hot weather in the summer, as well as many many many many cloudy days where you don't see the sun at all. You are going from a climate that has probably 300 comfortable ( highs between 60-85 degrees) days a year, to a climate that has about 50 comfortable days a year. That is a shock. Prepare for it to be uncomfortable outside most of the time and gloomy 8 months out of the year. Oh and spring sucks in Ohio, you get one good day out of 4. The only 4 months you can count on for sun are June- Sept. You will not realize your mistake until you are in Ohio. Plus, Columbus is probably the blandest most generic city of over 500,000 people in the country, there is literally no identity here except Ohio State, and this is coming from a huge Ohio State fan.
There are an awful lot of people who make the weather into the sole determining factor of their personal happiness and the quality of life in an individual city. Not jobs, cost of living, crime rate, diversity, amenities, schools, health care, or any other things that actually matter day to day. Weather is at best peripheral, but we've established that it's also in the eye of the beholder. Where I live now has endless days where the weather doesn't change that much. There's a rainy season and a dry season, but most days are sunny and warm. Beyond making it easy to dress, there is zero effect on my quality of life just as there wasn't in Columbus. Though as I've already said, I love 4 seasons and it's something I regularly miss just from an excitement/atmospheric standpoint. I don't get why so many people allow themselves to be miserable during a winter or any season. Again, this is not about the weather, but about personality, about ultimately being an unhappy person overall and just finding reasons to complain.

Also, calling other cities bland from Kansas City... lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2019, 07:10 PM
 
Location: livin' the good life
2,187 posts, read 3,850,649 times
Reputation: 1286
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Beyond trolling, can you give fact-based reasons for why Columbus would be on the decline in 5-10 years?

The Columbus metro receives positive net domestic migration from the following southern/western states/territories.

Alabama
Alaska
Arkansas
Colorado
Kentucky
Nevada
North Carolina
Oklahoma
Tennessee
Utah
Virginia
Washington
West Virginia
Wyoming
DC
PR

It's net outmigration has been improving in these other states and is trending toward positive.

Mississippi
New Mexico
Oregon

Overall, Columbus receives net migration from 29 states, DC and PR according to the most recent figures. This is up from 21 in the late 2000s. It's net domestic migration from states outside of Ohio has gone from -1600 per year in 2006 to +2200 a year in 2016, growing in each period. The vast majority of the metro's out migration is just to 2 states- Florida and Georgia. Because for some reason Ohioans have an unhealthy fascination with one of the worst states in America. Outmigration elsewhere consists of relatively small numbers.

The gas tax hasn't been raised in like 25 years. A lot of the money gets diverted from the existing tax, but even if that didn't happen, the existing money wouldn't be enough. Most states are having similar issues- overbuilt on roads with funding problems.

Ohio has legalized medical marijuana. Columbus will have at least 3 dispensaries. The word is "ballot", btw. Ballet is a form of dance.

In any case, I await your fact-based evidence to support Columbus' supposed imminent fall. I suspect I'll be waiting a long time.
I just think you make a lot of this stuff up, from your beautiful confines of Mexico City 🤪
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-17-2019, 07:43 PM
 
Location: San Diego CA
6,429 posts, read 4,216,499 times
Reputation: 11225
I lived in the Columbus area before moving to San Diego in retirement. For a younger family with kids rents and home prices are a killer everywhere in SoCal. Columbus is not a bad place to live and housing and rents are much cheaper.

What always bothered me about Columbus was the weather. Days on end of cloudy below freezing weather. Shoveling snow. Hot and humid summers that can be as bad as SE Asia. But I did enjoy early Autumn. I haven’t been back. We have a lovely Mediterranean climate and the beaches and even mountains nearby.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-18-2019, 08:47 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
15,153 posts, read 14,857,179 times
Reputation: 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZnGuy View Post
I just think you make a lot of this stuff up, from your beautiful confines of Mexico City 🤪
You can go to Census.gov, look up migration data for counties and get to work. That's what I did. Have at it if you don't believe me.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2019, 05:24 PM
 
Location: Heidelberg, Germany
305 posts, read 541,273 times
Reputation: 407
I'm writing this from Columbus which I visit twice a year for work. I have also lived in Arizona many years back.

I'm born and raised in Germany and also live there.

Some people have mentioned the four seasons in Columbus. That's all nice and well but I don't enjoy four seasons when they happen in one week. Which is only a slight exaggeration when it comes to Columbus. The weather here does get quite extreme and can be very unstable. I would not enjoy living here for that reason alone. And everything is pretty old and grey compared to Arizona.

Having said that, Columbus is not the worst place. Far from it. Not a fan of Easton which is basically Disneyland for shopping and dining but downtown, short north, German village etc are nice and there are nice bars restaurants, theaters, sports etc.

I prefer the four seasons in Germany over the weather in Columbus but if I could, I think I'd rather live in the south west (AZ/NM).

Why move al the way to OH from SoCal if all you want is a bit more elbow room and affordable housing/ lower CoL? You'll find that in the PHX metro (for example) and be only an hour flight, or five hours drive, away from SoCal, should you feel the urge.

I know it's not exactly an answer to the question in the OP but maybe wort a thought?

Stefan
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2019, 05:50 PM
 
Location: Mexico City, formerly Columbus, Ohio
15,153 posts, read 14,857,179 times
Reputation: 6783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan_from_Germany View Post
I'm writing this from Columbus which I visit twice a year for work. I have also lived in Arizona many years back.

I'm born and raised in Germany and also live there.

Some people have mentioned the four seasons in Columbus. That's all nice and well but I don't enjoy four seasons when they happen in one week. Which is only a slight exaggeration when it comes to Columbus. The weather here does get quite extreme and can be very unstable. I would not enjoy living here for that reason alone. And everything is pretty old and grey compared to Arizona.

Having said that, Columbus is not the worst place. Far from it. Not a fan of Easton which is basically Disneyland for shopping and dining but downtown, short north, German village etc are nice and there are nice bars restaurants, theaters, sports etc.

I prefer the four seasons in Germany over the weather in Columbus but if I could, I think I'd rather live in the south west (AZ/NM).

Why move al the way to OH from SoCal if all you want is a bit more elbow room and affordable housing/ lower CoL? You'll find that in the PHX metro (for example) and be only an hour flight, or five hours drive, away from SoCal, should you feel the urge.

I know it's not exactly an answer to the question in the OP but maybe wort a thought?

Stefan
Yeah, but then you'd have to live in Arizona. Why would any rational person want to do that? I mean, I can sort of understand if you're a blue hair retiree who wants to live in some gated retirement community and can't afford the wasteland of Florida, but other than that, Phoenix may be one of the ugliest cities outside of Houston. At least recommend a nice town. And I'm not sure how months on end of 100+ degree heat (with or without humidity) is supposed to be attractive for anyone, or somehow an upgrade from Ohio's weather. At best, you're just trading one extreme for another, and I wouldn't even call winter in Ohio extreme. If people are so fragile that they can't handle clouds, then maybe Ohio isn't for them. But then neither is 90% of the rest of the country.


Also, I'm not sure how you can describe everything in Columbus as old. It's built environment is easily one of the newest in the Midwest and is more akin to Austin or Charlotte in age. It's almost like you're talking about somewhere else.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top