U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2019, 05:50 PM

2,179 posts, read 1,555,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post

But that's the point, people aren't using Amtrak, and they're using it less and less. If Chicago routes aren't seeing traffic, why would the addition of Columbus change much? This suggests that an increasing number of people don't find value in the product it offers. You don't blame the customer when they don't buy what you're selling, you create a better product people want. Arguably, Amtrak is not doing enough to be competitive. To be fair, though, they're working with what they have. Rail transit in the US is woefully underfunded and ignored, and it shows. Ironically, back in I think 1972, a new style HSR passenger arrived in Columbus to show off the possible future of Amtrak. Obviously, we ended up not getting those trains really anywhere, let alone Columbus.
You can't see how the addition of an Amtrak station to the second largest city in a geographic region would increase Amtrak ridership in that region? I think it's pretty self explanatory.

I can't think of another example in the entire developed world where a 900,000 city is the lone holdout for intercity rail in a region.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2019, 07:49 AM

15,414 posts, read 14,903,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
You can't see how the addition of an Amtrak station to the second largest city in a geographic region would increase Amtrak ridership in that region? I think it's pretty self explanatory.

I can't think of another example in the entire developed world where a 900,000 city is the lone holdout for intercity rail in a region.
It might help, but how much and for how long are debatable. Look, on principal I agree with you. Columbus needs rail and true BRT, and it needs to be doing more to get them. I just don’t think Amtrak is necessarily the most promising product.

Old 06-03-2019, 05:27 PM

279 posts, read 485,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbear30 View Post
Little bit of backstory. My husband is from Ohio (Mansfield) and his whole family still lives there. Me being born and raised in Socal, I am beyond ready for a change. We are expecting our first baby in August and have come to the conclusion that we want something different for our son. Cost of living and living in our cramped 2 bedroom apartment at $2200 a month is not doing it for us anymore. Although I will miss my family immensely I need to do whats best for me and my growing family.

Anyways so me with a customer service/ insurance industry background and my husband with a construction/ business background we think us being closer to Columbus will hold better job opportunities while we start fresh. I have been to Columbus many times and love it but I also love the smaller feel and idea of living in a town where we can buy a house with a nice size background for our dogs and not on top of our neighbors haha. Having a nice downtown area to walk around and some good restaurants would be great. We both don't mind commuting into Columbus for work and each have our own car. Kind of a random little thing but I love Christmas so having a town that does fun Christmas activities would be a plus.

Does anyone have any recommendations of places we should look?

Thanks in advance.
How close do you want / need to be to Mansfield?

If you want to be close to Mansfield but in the Columbus Metro, I'd look at Delaware County.

There is (or was) a large State Farm campus in New Albany.

I'm not a fan of the northern 'burbs due to the congestion and traffic but I'm sure it is nothing compared to what you are used to in SOCAL.

Old 06-06-2019, 09:14 PM

Quote:
I just don’t think Amtrak is necessarily the most promising product.
This is the mentality that keeps Columbus excluded from the rail picture decade after decade after decade after decade.

"Yeah, it's a growing city that will, at some point, at some time, need some kind of system, but we need to be really smart about things because look at X, Y, and Z city and how things didn't go exactly perfect for them"

Just like anything else in life-starting a business, a website, getting out of debt, approaching a girl, etc. you just have to DO SOMETHING to get the ball rolling.....Columbus can't.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:03 AM

15,686 posts, read 4,284,155 times
I just heard there was an earthquake in Ohio so if OP was hoping to escape them...

Old 06-10-2019, 06:22 PM

15,414 posts, read 14,903,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
This is the mentality that keeps Columbus excluded from the rail picture decade after decade after decade after decade.

"Yeah, it's a growing city that will, at some point, at some time, need some kind of system, but we need to be really smart about things because look at X, Y, and Z city and how things didn't go exactly perfect for them"

Just like anything else in life-starting a business, a website, getting out of debt, approaching a girl, etc. you just have to DO SOMETHING to get the ball rolling.....Columbus can't.
You're twisting my words and I'm not sure why. But sure, I hate rail because I think Amtrak is a poor substitute for the best rail technology that actually exists and because it's convenient to ignore the fact that pretty much every Midwestern route along with almost every route nationally has falling ridership because it's not competitive with air travel and offers an inferior product. But sure, Columbus will save Amtrak if only people like me would support it. Columbus should definitely blow hundreds of millions on a system that is failing in like 99% of the places it exists. Because that's just being responsible.

Let me reiterate... the Amtrak debate has nothing to do with local rail connecting neighborhoods within the city, which I absolutely want to see happen and argue for just about every day.
I also want to see an expanded rail system nationally that would include Columbus, but I also know that that's never going to happen. America doesn't do big investments in infrastructure anymore. Places like China run circles around us on that front. We can't even fix our roads, so we're not going to be building a comprehensive national transit network, with Amtrak or Hyperloop or HSR or anything else. And if you think I'm wrong, explain to me why one of the most progressive states in the Union, your own California, couldn't even get a single HSR line done? If they can't do it, you think it's going to happen in Ohio of all places, where the state Republicans despise anything to do with transit?

Old 06-10-2019, 08:23 PM

15,686 posts, read 4,284,155 times
Quote:
explain to me why one of the most progressive states in the Union, your own California, couldn't even get a single HSR line done? If they can't do it, you think it's going to happen in Ohio of all places, where the state Republicans despise anything to do with transit?

California has been controlled by Democrats for decades. I just heard on the news today that farmers who had to sell their land for slow speed rail aka Browndoggle have never been paid.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:24 PM

Quote:
America doesn't do big investments in infrastructure anymore. Places like China run circles around us on that front. We can't even fix our roads, so we're not going to be building a comprehensive national transit network, with Amtrak or Hyperloop or HSR or anything else. And if you think I'm wrong, explain to me why one of the most progressive states in the Union, your own California, couldn't even get a single HSR line done? If they can't do it, you think it's going to happen in Ohio of all places, where the state Republicans despise anything to do with transit?
As far as I know, the Central Valley HSR line is still going forward as planned. If it does get completed in 2027, well that would be one line. The rest of the project is postponed indefinitely.

This is what happens when you're actually in the game and not sitting on the sidelines watching.

At this point it does seem unlikely that HSR, at least as it was conceived, will happen.

However, one has to ask himself-what is more likely? California HSR being brought back from the brink and completed or Columbus installing a single passenger rail line of any kind anywhere?

I know what my answer is.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:44 AM

991 posts, read 371,424 times
If you can afford 300k for a house, op, look into this new California suburb(tesoro Viejo)
It's master planned and being built around bicycles.
It will be central California's answer to Davis, CA.

All of this will be filled up with housing. There will be trails to a lake and on the hills.
Yosemite valley in under 2 hours. 2.5 hours to the coast.if you don't want to deal with central valley heat, go look at Lompoc in santa Barbara county. Low quality housing but affordable for being on the coast.

Columbus is one of the better Midwest cities, imo. There's nothing wrong with settling there either. Gl

Last edited by dontbelievehim; 06-11-2019 at 06:19 AM..

Old 06-11-2019, 07:36 AM

9,645 posts, read 8,871,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontbelievehim View Post
If you can afford 300k for a house, op, look into this new California suburb(tesoro Viejo)
It's master planned and being built around bicycles.
It will be central California's answer to Davis, CA.

All of this will be filled up with housing. There will be trails to a lake and on the hills.
Yosemite valley in under 2 hours. 2.5 hours to the coast.if you don't want to deal with central valley heat, go look at Lompoc in santa Barbara county. Low quality housing but affordable for being on the coast.

Columbus is one of the better Midwest cities, imo. There's nothing wrong with settling there either. Gl
What a shame that land will be brutalized for an ugly modern housing development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or