U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2020, 08:35 AM

2 posts, read 904 times

Advertisements

My wife and I currently live in a condo with a New Albany address, but Columbus city schools. We have our first child who will be going into kindergarten next year, and we would like to get him into a better elementary than what he is assigned to with our current address, so we are looking for a new home. We really like the areas between Gahanna, Blacklick and New Albany. This area is serviced by Gahanna schools, which we like for his early education, but are uncertain once he would get to high school.

My question is this, anyone familiar with these areas know that this area is exploding with new home construction and I can't imagine the 4 school systems mentioned will be able to sustain this level of growth. Is anyone aware of any discussion of adding a high school in this area of the city?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2020, 10:49 AM

1,938 posts, read 4,229,002 times
To my knowledge there is no plan to add another high school in Gahanna-Lincoln schools. They have been one of the few districts in suburban Columbus to retain a single high school approach to secondary education. Of course, with new construction popping up more and more frequently in Jefferson Township, a second high school has a possibility of happening. If not a second high school, perhaps a new and bigger building or campus, especially since the current location is pretty well landlocked around Havens Corner and N Hamilton? But that may not even happen, as it all stems from bond issues passing the local electorate. The passing rates can vary from district to district and are separate from operating levies that are common in any Ohio district.

Licking Heights will be building a new high school I believe. They serve portions of the Jefferson Township and Blacklick area further east into Licking County, and homes tend to be cheaper there. But they are cheaper because lots are smaller and build quality is not at the same level as many new homes in Gahanna or New Albany. The overall rating for the district also does not match up as well to Gahanna and especially New Albany. Schools have also been known to be overcrowded due to the large amount of development.

New Albany will also unlikely build a second high school since they have the central campus approach. They would likely just add additional space on the grounds they have, which is pretty large. Schools here will certainly retain their quality for another 10-15 years as there is a large amount of wealth in the district and many new corporate offices and commercial/industrial properties going up in New Albany school's district. Gahanna will also likely keep steady, but will be in a tier below New Albany, Olentangy and parts of Dublin.

Of course, with ratings based on ever changing testing standards, many of which no one understands even today, outlooks could change as well. Many schools that have small at need populations have taken hits because they cannot catch the rest of the district's stellar performance, which to me means as long as schools have involved parents and funded activities for kids, they will be fine.

Old 01-14-2020, 11:31 AM
on3

317 posts, read 110,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coloradodreaming09 View Post
My wife and I currently live in a condo with a New Albany address, but Columbus city schools. We have our first child who will be going into kindergarten next year, and we would like to get him into a better elementary than what he is assigned to with our current address, so we are looking for a new home. We really like the areas between Gahanna, Blacklick and New Albany. This area is serviced by Gahanna schools, which we like for his early education, but are uncertain once he would get to high school.

My question is this, anyone familiar with these areas know that this area is exploding with new home construction and I can't imagine the 4 school systems mentioned will be able to sustain this level of growth. Is anyone aware of any discussion of adding a high school in this area of the city?
The growth is becoming a problem and I blame these young families that move to places like Delaware and then clog up 71 communiting back and forth between Delaware and actual civilization that started this whole mess. "well ya see, Olentangy ...." Um no... just stop i tell them lol....

They eventually learn the error of their ways (driving between delaware and their job sucks) and find themselves coming to the Gahanna, Blacklick, New Albany area or the Dublin area on the other side of town and that's what's causing the increase. I don't know if these transplants came from PA or what, but the amount of congestion in the Columbus area seems double that when I lived there. I wouldn't consider ever going back for the congestion alone. Damn shame people have to come in and ruin a good thing. I'm sure the people that have lived there all their life are thrilled with all this extra traffic they have to deal with. And yes, I know it's nothing compared to California but think Cbus vs Cleveland or Cincinnati.

My advice, find a nice place where you are close to work that has great schools where it's far less congested. If the congestion doesn't bother you, then you're set. I'm sure they will do something to handle the increase in student body.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:35 PM

233 posts, read 299,025 times
Have not heard of any plans to build new high schools.
The OP is smart to sell the condo with NA address, these properties were a tough sell because of Columbus schools but they are selling now due to the housing shortage in reasonable prices ranges. This RE market will slow down once the economy cools.
Gahanna is a nice community at a more affordable price. The NA tax base and upscale communities allows things to be very nice. I don’t know much about Blackick but the neighborhoods are lovely. Don’t assume it has Gahanna schools because a fair amount of blacklick goes to licking heights.

I think this area is nicer than rural Delaware but everyone has the right to buy where they want.

Old 01-16-2020, 03:44 PM

233 posts, read 299,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
To my knowledge there is no plan to add another high school in Gahanna-Lincoln schools. They have been one of the few districts in suburban Columbus to retain a single high school approach to secondary education. Of course, with new construction popping up more and more frequently in Jefferson Township, a second high school has a possibility of happening. If not a second high school, perhaps a new and bigger building or campus, especially since the current location is pretty well landlocked around Havens Corner and N Hamilton? But that may not even happen, as it all stems from bond issues passing the local electorate. The passing rates can vary from district to district and are separate from operating levies that are common in any Ohio district.

Licking Heights will be building a new high school I believe. They serve portions of the Jefferson Township and Blacklick area further east into Licking County, and homes tend to be cheaper there. But they are cheaper because lots are smaller and build quality is not at the same level as many new homes in Gahanna or New Albany. The overall rating for the district also does not match up as well to Gahanna and especially New Albany. Schools have also been known to be overcrowded due to the large amount of development.

New Albany will also unlikely build a second high school since they have the central campus approach. They would likely just add additional space on the grounds they have, which is pretty large. Schools here will certainly retain their quality for another 10-15 years as there is a large amount of wealth in the district and many new corporate offices and commercial/industrial properties going up in New Albany school's district. Gahanna will also likely keep steady, but will be in a tier below New Albany, Olentangy and parts of Dublin.

Of course, with ratings based on ever changing testing standards, many of which no one understands even today, outlooks could change as well. Many schools that have small at need populations have taken hits because they cannot catch the rest of the district's stellar performance, which to me means as long as schools have involved parents and funded activities for kids, they will be fine.
I forgot to quote this. There is total frenzy about test scores and ratings. I would not send my kids to Columbus schools but the other suburban districts are decent. There are others things to evaluate besides accords. Look at surrounding neighborhoods, general area.
This school business is very tough to evaluate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or