Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2022, 02:32 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
In other words.....

This is an Ohio story, not a Columbus story.

It sure is amusing seeing posts implying that Intel was just swept off its feet by Columbus though, so carry on lol.
Besides rail, I'm not sure what you are even talking about regarding lack of infrastructure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2022, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
Yes, it’s an Ohio story. Columbus hit the lottery though.
Yes, and that's what chaps his butt about this considering he's been one of City Data's biggest detractors of Columbus overall, and seems to actively hate the place for some reason. Some people have an axe to grind, no matter the news.

Old 01-29-2022, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Well, Pittsburgh wouldn't qualify.

They messed up and built a light rail system in the 1980's and still have an operational Amtrak station.

They didn't have the foresight of Columbus to just do nothing (and then bumble the "Smart City" money to continue to have nothing).
You do know the Smart City money was never meant to go towards mass transit, and that Columbus never included transit in their proposal to win that, right?

Old 01-29-2022, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlideRules99 View Post
With regards to Intel…

I’m happy for both the state and the Columbus metro area.

You probably saw the additional disclosures of the deal this a.m.

Ohio taxpayers dumped $2B on Intel’s doorstep to lure them into the state.

https://abcnews.go.com/Business/wire...ckage-82541504

Much of the Columbus chest-thumping here is misguided IMO. Your metro area had a fortuitous site (cornfield near airport…who knew?), and the state took it from there. OSU was an asset, to be sure.

I’ve read probably 20 articles on this deal, and the Intel execs emphasize Ohio first, New Albany second. They do find your city useful, but their focus is on establishing their own massive footprint and identity 20 miles outside the city.

Study Hillsboro, OR; Chandler, AZ; Folsom, CA; and Rio Rancho, NM for similarities.

I’m not trying to put you on the defensive here. Just calling it how I see it.

But seriously…congrats.
It continues to fascinate me how only Clevelanders or NE Ohioans in general have spent more time trying to delegitimize this for the Columbus area than being happy for the region and state overall. You don't see people from Dayton or Cincinnati or Toledo taking swipes at Columbus over this. Why are they okay, but NEO isn't? This place never changes.

And let's play this out... Exactly how badly does Cleveland have to suck to continuously lose to a city/region that apparently has nothing to offer anyone? What massive cognitive dissonance.

Last edited by jbcmh81; 01-29-2022 at 02:55 PM..

Old 01-29-2022, 04:40 PM

469 posts, read 432,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
It continues to fascinate me how only Clevelanders or NE Ohioans in general have spent more time trying to delegitimize this for the Columbus area than being happy for the region and state overall. You don't see people from Dayton or Cincinnati or Toledo taking swipes at Columbus over this. Why are they okay, but NEO isn't? This place never changes.

And let's play this out... Exactly how badly does Cleveland have to suck to continuously lose to a city/region that apparently has nothing to offer anyone? What massive cognitive dissonance.
Please do this:

1) Re-read my post…you know, the part about me being happy for the state, the Columbus area, and offering congrats.

2) Re-read your post, and tell me who is taking the swipes at whom.

Geez…

Old 01-30-2022, 01:33 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:
You do know the Smart City money was never meant to go towards mass transit, and that Columbus never included transit in their proposal to win that, right?
Yeah I know that, it was still a dud. With all the hoopla surrounding their selection you'd think one semi-notable thing would have come out of it.

Old 01-30-2022, 01:38 AM

4,211 posts, read 3,289,519 times
Quote:

We now know that Cleveland was selected for the Republican National Convention for very specific amenities in the city that Columbus is nowhere close to having.

This Intel "selection" sounds like them randomly throwing a dart at a map of Ohio and having it land by blind luck 15 miles from Columbus, after big financial assurances from the state, of course.

Old 01-30-2022, 08:26 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
We now know that Cleveland was selected for the Republican National Convention for very specific amenities in the city that Columbus is nowhere close to having.
Yes, mainly rail mass transit.

Old 01-30-2022, 10:10 AM

956 posts, read 1,207,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I wouldn't call Columbus southern, At the far southwest edge of the Midwest, Kansas City is more southern influenced as well as St. Louis with Kansas City (Johnson County, KS) having much more of a Sunbelt corporate new money feel.
I said southern with how "newish" everything is around Columbus. Most if not all the Midwest and northeast is old. There is plenty of new developments here and there, but it's not on the scale Columbus is. The northern Columbus suburbs is all new....just within the past 3 decades...especially the last two decades since 2000.

Old 01-30-2022, 11:57 AM

1,320 posts, read 865,054 times
Quote:
This Intel "selection" sounds like them randomly throwing a dart at a map of Ohio and having it land by blind luck 15 miles from Columbus, after big financial assurances from the state, of course.
If you think a company as massive as Intel is just randomly throwing darts at a map to determine location, then you have no clue how businesses operate.

Access to clients, access to labor force, employee retention -- all important and a huge factor in location decisions. For example, metro Columbus has a higher educational attainment than metro Cleveland, and therefore, has a higher percent of skilled labor. This isn't the kind of stuff companies, especially technical-oriented ones, just gloss over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus