Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2022, 10:14 AM

11,044 posts, read 12,303,662 times

Advertisements

Couldn't find a thread already in existence for the Blue Jackets so I'm starting one now.

HUGE news the other day - star forward Johnny Gaudreau signs with CBJ. He was second in the league in points last season, 28 years old, in his prime. Also interesting to note, he is American born. This could be a big season for Columbus and really get fans into the team.

Johnny Gaudreau explains why he picked the Columbus Blue Jackets
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...-blue-jackets/

Quote:
"I'd never been to Columbus ... until I made it to the NHL so when I started playing there, I didn't know what I was walking into and I was just ... Wow!" The former Calgary Flames star said after surprising many by signing a seven-year, $68.25-million deal with the Blue Jackets.

"They've always had great crowds, really into the game. I said to myself then, 'This looks like a really fun place to play.

"But it was more than that. I played in the World Championships with Zack Werenski. I've known Eric Robinson for like 15-20 years. And some former guys, like Cam Atkinson and Dalton Prout ... those guys were just like 'You're going to absolutely love this place.'"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2022, 12:15 AM

14,635 posts, read 14,492,069 times
It was a major surprise for sure. Up to now the Jackets have been at a major disadvantage (like most Canadian teams) as a free agent destination thanks to the duality of being both a smaller market and not a warm-weather locale. Hopefully having him here will change that.

Old 07-15-2022, 04:32 PM

275 posts, read 451,921 times
I'm extremely excited about the Gaudreau signing, but irked by how so many in the hockey world are dismissing Columbus, not only as a franchise but as a city. People out there are calling Columbus a dump, the armpit of America, etc. - hope it makes for good bulletin board fodder and lights a fire under the boys this season.

Old 10-05-2022, 12:34 PM

Season starts one week today in Carolina. I'm pumped to have my tickets already for October 28 vs Boston.

Predictions for this year?

Old 10-06-2022, 01:58 PM

488 posts, read 855,823 times
I think the CBJ finish just outside of a playoff spot. The Metro is the best division in hockey - the Rangers, Canes and Pens should all be very strong, and the Isles, Caps and CBJ will battle for wild card spots. The Jackets will score some goals, but the blue line is young and unproven outside of Z and Gavrikov. Hopefully they stay in contention down the stretch. Also need Elvis to play better than he did last year, which I expect him to do now that Kivi's death isn't so fresh on his mind (most likely).

Old 10-13-2022, 08:10 PM

7,044 posts, read 8,856,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I'm pumped to have my tickets already for October 28 vs Boston.
Are you going to wear your Bruins jersey? I always wear mine.

The way I see things is a handful of veterans will have to carry the team (Gaudreau, Jenner, Nyquist, Laine, Voracek and Werenski) but they lack depth and the less experienced players seem to struggle with puck control and ability to maintain possession especially in the defensive zone. Turning the puck over will give opponents a lot of scoring chances. Coke Sillinger shows a lot of promise (his dad was former Blue Jacket Mike Sillinger) yet is only 19 years old. It’s like the situation in New Jersey, a young team that will be good some day. Losing Oliver Bjorkstrand is not going to help either.

Gudbranson was a good pick up, he will bring a lot of grit and toughness on the blueline, Matheau Olivier will bring some toughness as well.

This AHL clip of Olivier vs. Kurtis Gabriel reminds me of the Jonathan - Bouchard fight where a smaller player bloodies a bigger player.

Old 10-13-2022, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Are you going to wear your Bruins jersey? I always wear mine.
I definintely will be wearing my Bruins jersey haha but tbh will be happy with any result. It's fun to meet other New Englanders at games and the bars before and after.

Old 10-14-2022, 06:53 AM

488 posts, read 855,823 times
Laine out for several weeks. Not good.

Old 10-14-2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I definintely will be wearing my Bruins jersey haha but tbh will be happy with any result. It's fun to meet other New Englanders at games and the bars before and after.
I was at the first game the Bruins ever played at Nationwide, every displaced Bruins fan within 250 miles was there that night and I was thrilled to be able to get to see the Bruins live at the arena. When I was a kid I watched the Bruins on TV 38 when Orr, Esposito, Bucyk, Sanderson, Cashman and Hodge were on the team and moving to Ohio in 1973 was a culture shock, NBC showed a few games on national TV and Peter Puck cartoons between periods to explain the game. Listened to games on WBZ radio while they still broadcast them, signal would reach all the way here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbus76 View Post
Laine out for several weeks. Not good.
That sucks, he is definitely the top player on the team. I remember seeing him with the Jets and being amazed by how good he was and I was ecstatic when he came to the Blue Jackets.

I wonder if Gaudreau is getting used to hearing the cannon yet?

Old 10-20-2022, 10:04 PM

If you missed seeing the game tonight then you missed seeing an awesome come back victory for the Blue Jackets.

Attached Thumbnails
CBJ Thread-41976899-1009-4bbb-bd7d-4c763ca494cc.jpeg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: