Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 06:39 PM

2 posts, read 5,843 times

Advertisements

Hey folks,

I'm transferring to OSU in the fall. In the near future, I'll be getting an apartment close to campus. Currently I am without a car (should have one in 2009) and have some concerns about transportation in Columbus.

Do a lot of OSU students get by without their own vehicles? Is a bike sufficient transport for the campus area? From what I saw on my visit, the area around campus has about every store you'd need for essentials (pharmacy, grocery, etc.), but is public transportation adequate to venture into other parts of the city?

Thanks in advance for the help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 08:57 PM

3 posts, read 9,497 times
If you're living on or near campus then you definitely don't need a car. I live right off campus, go to school, and work downtown; and i barely use my car. The only time a car is nice is when I go to the mall or go to the grocery and buy too much to take on the bus. As long as you meet someone with a car and can bum a ride occasionally you'll be fine.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:41 PM

61 posts, read 257,436 times
OSU has a company on campus that rents cars (I am not sure of the name of the company). I believe that you have to join their system. Then get on the computer to reserve it. If i remembe correctly it is like a co-op. Some one on this forum should have more information.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:59 PM

118 posts, read 537,452 times
Yes, OSU has a ZipCar place on campus where you can rent a car for hours at a time for pretty cheap. Also, CABS (campus bus) will get you anywhere on campus and COTA (Columbus bus) will be sufficient enough to get you where you need to be.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:38 AM

25 posts, read 80,856 times
if you by campus i guess you could ride a bike....But alot of students get robbed and stuff over there....Just last night somebody got shot and killed on the little bike path.

Old 06-13-2008, 10:40 AM

35 posts, read 120,889 times
You don't need a car. Unless things have changed in the last few years the bus system is safe and clean. And there is about anything you could want near campus.

I wouldn't worry about crime too much. It is a city so you need to aware of your surroundings and where you go. It seems to me that most serious crime in Columbus is either domestic or people that know each other. Don't hear about random crime victms too often.

Good luck at OSU. Hope you have a pleasant experience in Columbus.

Old 06-13-2008, 12:56 PM

455 posts, read 1,883,868 times
It's better NOT to have a car if you are living in the campus area. There are a ton of car break-ins and a ridiculous amount of random vandalism in the campus area. You have everything from desperate homeless people trying to find ash tray compartment change to drunken students/locals breaking off antennas and kicking off side mirrors for fun. Also, if you end up having a bike, keep it indoors and away from windows or back alley doors at night.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:14 PM

2 posts, read 5,843 times
Thanks for the advice. Some other students I've spoken to told me that they prefer not having a car in the University District due to the number of random break ins/vandalism.

My apartment is on N. 4th in what looks like a fairly nice area. 5 or 6 blocks southward, the landscape changes and there is a small ghetto. Should I be extra cautious at night? Would it be wise to be cautious in any part of the University District?

Also, I made sure to get an apartment on the second floor of a building. It seems a much wiser choice than a first floor room.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:17 AM

2,318 posts, read 7,841,527 times
My first two years at OSU I did not have a car, and it wasn't a problem at all. They have CABS busses that go around campus, and COTA busses (free for students) that can get you to the Arena District/Short North/Lennox Towne Center/German Village/Grandview Heights... etc. No worries!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:02 PM

83 posts, read 294,196 times
Lots of COTA (bus) connections near OSU. Cabs are non-existent, and other forms of transportation are sporadic and unreliable. If you stick around the OSU campus area, you shouldn't have a problem getting around. If you want to venture out from there, you will definitely need a car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus