Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2008, 12:03 AM

3 posts, read 95,583 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I'm faced with a bit of a quandary. Within a month or two I'll be looking to move somewhere in the Columbus area, and I'd much prefer renting out an actual house rather than an apartment.

It will be me and my girlfriend, 21 and 19 respectively. We'd love to live on or around OSU's campus area (we're there half the time anyway with friends who go to OSU, and I love the laid-back feel of the neighborhoods, and the architecture, and the ability to walk everywhere), but most of the stuff around there is split into apartments and expensive as well.

I'm looking for basically the cheapest neighborhoods in Columbus that aren't complete anarchy zones in regards to crime. We're currently living with her grandparents near Maize & Oakland Park and this neighborhood is perfectly fine if that's a good judge of our crime tolerance (I woke up to discover my windshield had been smashed once, but it seems to be an isolated incident, prolly some random drunk; the area's nice and the neighbors are friendly). Our general shopping/stomping ground when not on campus tends to focus around Morse, 161, and Northern Lights / Cleveland Ave, which some people have told us has been getting worse and worse but we've seen no real changes in the past 3-5 years. And we've just moved back down here from a year in Cleveland, which generally seems to get a much worse rap then Columbus (we were in a neighborhood that I'd consider equivalent to where we are now up there).

So where should I start keeping an eye out for houses for rent? Where should I avoid like the plague? I'd like to be within a short drive of campus if not walking distance to campus, but I'd also like to win the lottery ^_~ I'm basically seeking the areas that tend to have rental homes rather than apartments, on the cheap, and therefore in perhaps a sketchy area without being downright bad. Thoughts?

Thanks all.

Last edited by rpb3000; 06-15-2008 at 12:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2008, 07:43 AM

37 posts, read 160,508 times
Will both of you be paying rent? To recommend a decent location I would need a price range and don't forget about utilities. In Columbus as compared to Cleveland you pay all utilities gas (100=300 per month), electric (40-100), water (not sure of price). I would suggest looking at the Grandview suburb. It is about ten minutes from campus and very nice. You can find some decent duplexes for around 650 you will also have to pay all utilities. I would also suggest looking over craigslist, and check this website
Metro-Rentals.com: Houses, apartments, and commercial properties for lease in Ohio
it lists different neighborhoods and possible rentals.

GOOD LUCK

Old 06-23-2008, 02:22 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,672,569 times
The area that your living in now has many homes for rent, it seems. Oakland park area would be a good look. Maybe, also, the homes located off of Morse Rd. There could be some for rent there. Or the eastmoor areas (areas east of Bexley.) I have friends that live near 5th (by the airport) and have found many affordable homes and crime at about the same rate or less than your use to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus