Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 08:01 AM

455 posts, read 1,884,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrissyR View Post
I do have to ask how can you tell by driving through as you say an area that it is bad. What do you mean see what is in store for you??

The reason I know Whitehall is not good is because before we moved here I checked the crime stats and they were not good. I am confused however how you can drive through an area and see what is in store.

When I drive through Whitehall it looks fine to me but I read the crime reports and know it is not the safest area.
It is very run down... I attended Shady Lane Elementary and Sherwood Middle Schools and lived on Country Club Rd. across from Walnut Ridge HS as a young child before the family moved to Clintonville to escape the eastbound poverty. Reynoldsburg is exactly like that area of Whitehall was back then and is in the direct path of the poverty push eastbound. Canal Winchester is the new Reynoldsburg... for now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 05:04 PM

170 posts, read 476,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
It is very run down... I attended Shady Lane Elementary and Sherwood Middle Schools and lived on Country Club Rd. across from Walnut Ridge HS as a young child before the family moved to Clintonville to escape the eastbound poverty. Reynoldsburg is exactly like that area of Whitehall was back then and is in the direct path of the poverty push eastbound. Canal Winchester is the new Reynoldsburg... for now.
Oh OK. Yes Country Club Rd has been bad for a long time. I was thinking about the Yearling Rd area. I know they have been fixing it up. I guess it didn't change the crime though. It's too bad.

Old 07-12-2008, 09:17 PM

12 posts, read 32,183 times
Stay away from Reynoldsburg. You'll find the house you want but not the community that you want to raise your kids in. Trust me. 150s? Try Grove City (zoned for Grove City HS) or southern edge of Westerville.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:49 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,672,214 times
Quote:
It is very run down... I attended Shady Lane Elementary and Sherwood Middle Schools and lived on Country Club Rd. across from Walnut Ridge HS as a young child before the family moved to Clintonville to escape the eastbound poverty.
There are some decent neighborhoods in the areas describe above, they are known as far east columbus. Shady Lane Elementary and Sherwood Middle school are now renovated, brand new buildings, and shady lane elementary is a year round school. They are both in the Columbus district and columbus city limits.

Quote:
150s? Try Grove City (zoned for Grove City HS) or southern edge of Westerville.
you can find homes in both of these areas for 150,000. The homes in southern westerville are older but nice and the ones in Grove City new builds. However, Grove City is very conservative. I was in Grove City for 10 minutes two weeks ago and that was enough for the next five years. Just not my cup of tea.

Old 07-23-2008, 04:39 PM

12 posts, read 32,183 times
Reynoldsburg is not a place you want to live and raise kids. Whitehall is moving into the Reynoldsburg, hence HuskerDu's logical and correct assertion.

Either way, you'll regret it within an instant, especially off Lancaster. There's alot of section 8 off that street in the apartment complexes there.

Old 07-29-2012, 10:53 PM

93 posts, read 182,495 times
Default really? You really don't know?

Quote:
I do have to ask how can you tell by driving through as you say an area that it is bad. What do you mean see what is in store for you??

The reason I know Whitehall is not good is because before we moved here I checked the crime stats and they were not good. I am confused however how you can drive through an area and see what is in store.

When I drive through Whitehall it looks fine to me but I read the crime reports and know it is not the safest area.
If there are 'security screens' in the storm door, and the streetlights keep going out (small caliber handguns, most likely) and some 'decorative wrought-iron bars' on the windows, KEEP MOVING!

I'm longing to get back into the area, but it has changed so much since I stayed there, I would be inclined to take a rental for 3 or more months just to get a real hands-on opinion. NOW, with all respect-PAY ATTENTION... You will thank me later, but GET A RENTAL. If you are hiring a mover, strike the deal BEFORE you sign the cntract....."Okay, United, I'm moving to Renenenen. But before I actually buy there, I need to check it out, to see if it really meets my needs. So, what I want is a 'combo' price. You pick up our stuff. We'll have it arranged so that the last things you get are the things we want in our rental. The rest of our belongings, you take to your storage facility. If this is the house we are going to buy, we will have you pick up the remainder of our belongings, and bring it over.
(etc, etc, etc-you get the picture.)
Better safe than out a ton and hating the place!

Old 08-22-2012, 09:59 PM

34 posts, read 78,522 times
Quote:
Then you seriously haven't seen much of Whitehall. Particularly at night, there should be numerous red flags rising while driving through many parts of WH

Old 08-23-2012, 09:59 AM

140 posts, read 314,256 times
I really don't think Whitehall is as bad a place as people make it seem. Even the "ghetto" aka Hilltop isn't nearly as bad as others in major cities. I wouldn't want to live in Whitehall or the hilltop though.

As for Reynoldsburg, you can't just look at Brice Rd / Livingston Ave and call the entire city a bad place to live. There are plenty of areas of Reynoldsburg that are great to live. Sure the Brice Road area isn't the best of neighborhoods, but that shouldn't stop anyone from looking at other sections of the city that are just as safe, if not more safe than Pickerington, Gahanna or New Albany.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:17 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewddd View Post
As for Reynoldsburg, you can't just look at Brice Rd / Livingston Ave and call the entire city a bad place to live. There are plenty of areas of Reynoldsburg that are great to live. Sure the Brice Road area isn't the best of neighborhoods, but that shouldn't stop anyone from looking at other sections of the city that are just as safe, if not more safe than Pickerington, Gahanna or New Albany.
I agree. My mother-in-law has lived in the Licking County portion of Reynoldsburg for 15 years and it's just fine.

Old 08-23-2012, 11:35 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewddd View Post
I really don't think Whitehall is as bad a place as people make it seem. Even the "ghetto" aka Hilltop isn't nearly as bad as others in major cities. I wouldn't want to live in Whitehall or the hilltop though.

As someone who lived in Hilltop for 4 years, I can tell you that you're right, it's not as bad as it's made out to be. The are decent parts and bad parts, but overall it's not so bad. I never had any trouble living there personally and I think you just have to use common sense like you would anywhere. I imagine the same is true for Whitehall. Recently, both areas have been on the upswing for development and population growth, so I think both have brighter futures ahead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus