Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2008, 04:07 PM

897 posts, read 2,816,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood View Post
The problem really is that not a whole lot of them are moving in legally. I can't imagine what visa they must have to settle in this area? A whole bunch of them just land up, get married to a US citizen or green card holder and acquire one for themselves. This is still sadly a popular and quicker way to settling in the US and I know for a fact a large number of Somalians and even Nigerians are indulging in this.
I too have heard that many immigrants are here - legally - but using any loophole they can find to gain a faster track to citizenship. Also, that we have been so focused on our Mexican border that we have become very lax on our vast number of immigration policies. All the while the Feds are tuned out and / or overburdened with the amount of people wanting to get into the US. The other thing that friends back South have mentioned to me that these other groups (non-latino) are locating away from the populations that the illegals (latino) usually flock to.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:30 PM

422 posts, read 753,011 times
The U.S. government has a program in place to resettle Somalian refugees in Columbus.

It's similar to how there's so many South East Asians in Minneapolis.

Old 09-09-2008, 05:11 AM

123 posts, read 745,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
The U.S. government has a program in place to resettle Somalian refugees in Columbus.

It's similar to how there's so many South East Asians in Minneapolis.
Yep. In the case of Columbus, it was done intentionally to try to swing Ohio from being a Red State.

Old 08-29-2009, 12:36 AM

1 posts, read 7,104 times
Somalis are very calm, polite and intelligent individuals who try to build a better future for themselves and their children here in the states. I know few of them in my area (columbus) and their inviding people. In the years i have lived in columbus i have never witnessed or heard of any trouble caused by the somalis. they are refugees fleeing from a war torn country and they have every right to settle in a peaceful country. they are residing legally, complying by the immigration laws so i dont have a problem with them at all.

Old 08-29-2009, 07:41 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,367,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillside View Post
columbus has the biggest african population in the u.s. outside nyc. to answer the op, it's like anywhere else. the word gets out about opportunity, a small number of an ethnicity come, they like it, and families follow. it's the same reason it's there's so many hispanics in chicago and middle easterners in detroit, it just happens to be africans in columbus. the same thing is happening with asians in columbus and indians/pakistanis in cincinnati.
also same reason why there are many West Virginians that migrated to Columbus

Old 08-29-2009, 08:03 PM

37 posts, read 100,866 times
I work in SWCS district and there is a huge, and growing, Somali population. The only "problem" is that, while there are plenty of people working in the schools who have a working understanding of Spanish, no one knows Somali. We have translated important documents (like "Whose IDEA Is This?" etc) but there isn't anyone who can really speak it. Lots of people take some Spanish in preparation for working in the schools but Somali isn't nearly as accessible.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:36 PM

3,546 posts, read 8,530,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulsterscot View Post
Yep. In the case of Columbus, it was done intentionally to try to swing Ohio from being a Red State.
That's nonsense.

Old 08-30-2009, 09:40 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,073,039 times
despite a US economic meltdown and illegal immigration is thru the roof, it would seem our immigration system marches on oblivious to all. one hand does not seem conscious of what the other does. i suppose we could see it as a good will gesture of the president, that would make sense.
relations with africa have improved.

Old 08-31-2009, 05:59 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,053,809 times
80% of the answers to this question illustrate what I dislike about Columbus.

The largest African Population in the US?
Dark skin and angular features..... Is that somali?
I saw this guy... Some shot.....

Good gawd, just talk to them. I did.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:24 AM

30,421 posts, read 20,185,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londa419 View Post
When I visited I hardly seen the Somali's that I had heard of but when I did actually move here I see them in droves, it doesn't bother me I just was wondering why did so many of them pick the center of Ohio to stay? Is there something in particular here that attracted them to Columbus?
Somalians? In Ohio? Didn't know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus