Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 09:17 PM

43 posts, read 143,005 times

Advertisements

I would suggest Grandview. There are new apartments not far from the hospital. They are called "The Meridian". Prices for a one bedroom are $705; two bedrooms $1030; and three bedrooms $1575. Pricey? Yes, though it is close to shops: Target, Staples, Barnes and Noble, Petsmart, etc. The advertisement says to call for specials, so here's the number: 1-888-316-3893. But like I said previously, check the website apartmentratings.com. You'll get an unbias review from other renters about the apartments you'll want to rent. Happy hunting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2008, 05:53 AM

548 posts, read 2,015,565 times
I wholeheartedly suggest Grandview. I lived (renting) for 7 years, and we loved it. We were within walking distance of the Grandview Ave. strip of restaurants and shops. There are more shops lining 3rd and 5th down near Olentangy as well. Access to 315, downtown and OSU is very easy. And the people were very nice. It's just a cool town. We miss it a lot (though we're glad we moved closer to family).

Clintonville is nice there's only 1 main thruway (High St) and it gets traffic-y. Short North is awesome, but parking can be a b*tch.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:26 AM

14 posts, read 44,044 times
Hello musiqgirl,

I really appreciate ur help.. I'll definately check out the meridian..

thnks

Old 10-30-2008, 06:13 PM

Your welcome, PT2003. I'm glad I could be of some help.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:08 PM

150 posts, read 980,756 times
Hey PT2003,

Is transportation an issue? I think my garage permit at OSU was at least $500 for the year. Not sure if a permit will be included in the fellowship, but if you have to drive to campus, a garage permit is the way to go. However, if hubby can bike and/or take the bus it would save money and help the environment

I agree that Grandview would likely fit your needs. However, I rented at the Meridian (Hellidian, haha) and would not recommend it. It looks nice but there are lots of undergrads (loud and immature), vomit in common areas and the towing is absolutely ridiculous. It's not really worth the money, but it looked nice when we were moving from out of state. It's not dangerous or anything, but you couldn't pay me to live there again. However, if you do decide to rent, I know a lot of people tried to sublet, so you might check Craigslist and get a better deal. There are also a lot of private rentals in Grandview. Will you be making a trip to view potential rentals?
I also have to say, while I like Grandview (friendly people, nice downtown strip with retail and restaurants), the income tax is higher. (I think the Meridian has Columbus taxes though).

Clintonville is another good option. I think it's safe and has more personality than some of the other areas. They are doing a lot of road construction in S. Clintonville/North Campus, but hopefully that would be wrapped up by next summer! Lately I have noticed an increase in congestion from all the scooters (they go so slow)!
The #2 bus is an easy straight shot to campus. It's also within biking distance. I live in Clintonville and lack of restaurants can be an inconvenience at times, but I love to cook and am health-conscious, so I don't like to eat out all the time anyway. It's not like you can't find food in Clintonville, there just aren't any upscale restaurants.

You might also look at Upper Arlington, though it's more of a family-oriented area.

Grandview, Clintonville and UA are all convenient to OSU, Riverside and Mount Carmel hospitals.

If you find any places that look nice, post the address/info and I am sure people will give feedback.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:36 AM

14 posts, read 44,044 times
Hello 2006Buckeye,

Thanks for ur reply... it is helping us a lot....after reading at ur message, i dont' think grandview is the place we would like to stay at.. we have been married for 4 yrs now and far over from our college life...we wouldn't like to stay in a area where they're lot of undergrads.. u knw wat i mean..
plus, apt. seem to little pricey for us...

can u suggest other neighborhood little far from OSU? How is dublin? How far upper arlington is from OSU??

i really appreciate ur help..

thanks..

Old 10-31-2008, 09:53 AM

455 posts, read 1,884,097 times
Undergrads don't live in Grandview. There are, however, a ton of undergrads that inhabit the apartment complexes in the Sawmill/Bethel area of Dublin. The areas to rent in Dublin are surrounded by strip malls and big box stores. If you are looking to live next to a Circuit City or car dealership...Dublin is for you.

Old 10-31-2008, 01:42 PM

150 posts, read 980,756 times
I should clarify, a lot of undergrads rented at the Meridian, but Grandview in general is not overrun with undergrads. HuskerDu's statement that undergrads don't live in Grandview isn't accurate - some (not a lot) rent in Grandview, but Grandview is a nice mix of grad students, young professionals and families. I think you should still consider Grandview, just that the Meridian probably won't suit your needs.

Upper Arlington would be within 10 minutes of OSU, at most. You may be able to find a private rental within your price range in UA.

There are some nice areas in Dublin, but I don't think you'd find anything in Dublin that you wouldn't elsewhere. I agree with HuskerDu regarding the Sawmill/Bethel areas.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:29 PM

Wow, 2006Buckeye, looks can be deceiving! From the way the Meridian looked on the outside, you would think it was a nice place to live. You learn something new everyday. I'm glad I found out about that place. I once considered living there, but the prices turned me off. Well, PT2003, I hope you find something soon.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:55 PM

5 posts, read 10,434 times
I am in the same situation as PT2003. My boyfriend and I are planning on moving to Columbus this coming summer from Connecticut so he can go to grad school at OSU. I've been trying to get a feel for the apartments and the area around campus but it's hard to do online. I've been reading what all of you have been saying and it just hard to know what area is going to be the best. We don't want to be close to undergrads or a lot of partying. We are planning on going out there in a few weeks and we were wondering if anyone had any suggestions on areas to visit. Any help would really be appreciated!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus