U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-13-2008, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Columbia, MD
35 posts, read 144,884 times
Reputation: 30

Advertisements

I am a young urban professional woman who just married an Ohio native. He wants us to move to the Columbus from the DC metro area, because the cost of living is soooo much lower in Columbus than where we live. Although we currently live in the suburbs, I work in downtown Baltimore, and go out in DC and Baltimore often. The main pull to move to Cbus is that we could have a much more upscale life in Ohio. But my concern is that I may miss the culture, entertainment, history, and general hustle and bustle from living so close to two major cities. Columbus seems like a huge suburb to me so far.

Can someone please let me know what things there are to do in Columbus? Dining, dancing, arts, live music, etc? What are the cool neighborhoods? Are there any DC or NYC transports that can let me know if they like/dislike Columbus?

Btw, we plan on having kids soon, and I already know the Columbus suburbs have great schools and safe neighborhoods, so that isn't something that I am worried about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-14-2008, 02:22 PM
 
Location: Columbus, OH
22 posts, read 78,784 times
Reputation: 22
Downtown is very cool. The short north, arena district, brewery district, italian village, victorian village and german village. In these areas you are nearby and in some cases within walking distance to restaurants, taverns, a major arena for concerts and shows, theaters, boutiques, art galleries, museum, bike paths, parks and recreation. You will also be near the new Cooper Stadium for baseball which is being built.



In my opinion, someone in your age group would be happy in these areas. There is a lot to explore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2008, 06:50 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
1,277 posts, read 4,063,561 times
Reputation: 688
Agreed, 100 percent
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-14-2008, 06:58 PM
 
150 posts, read 842,678 times
Reputation: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake83 View Post
I am a young urban professional woman who just married an Ohio native. He wants us to move to the Columbus from the DC metro area, because the cost of living is soooo much lower in Columbus than where we live. Although we currently live in the suburbs, I work in downtown Baltimore, and go out in DC and Baltimore often. The main pull to move to Cbus is that we could have a much more upscale life in Ohio. But my concern is that I may miss the culture, entertainment, history, and general hustle and bustle from living so close to two major cities. Columbus seems like a huge suburb to me so far.

Can someone please let me know what things there are to do in Columbus? Dining, dancing, arts, live music, etc? What are the cool neighborhoods? Are there any DC or NYC transports that can let me know if they like/dislike Columbus?

Btw, we plan on having kids soon, and I already know the Columbus suburbs have great schools and safe neighborhoods, so that isn't something that I am worried about.
I answered your other post. What my answer didn't address was dancing. My opinion is you will find a higher concentration of college students at dance clubs in Columbus (especially places like Brothers or Gaswerks - I don't go to those places), but there are some choices for a more professional crowd. Just not a lot!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-15-2008, 11:13 PM
 
1,463 posts, read 5,541,530 times
Reputation: 926
I know DC is expensive but I would not move back to Ohio until after the recession/depression ends. The economy here is shedding jobs left and right....play it safe for now and move back when things pick up, especially if you plan to have kids..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-18-2008, 09:14 AM
 
60 posts, read 133,732 times
Reputation: 20
Yep, postpone the move unless you are 120% sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-24-2008, 09:07 AM
 
Location: Passed out on the trail to Hanakapi'ai
1,626 posts, read 3,474,178 times
Reputation: 1214
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy7fo View Post
I know DC is expensive but I would not move back to Ohio until after the recession/depression ends. The economy here is shedding jobs left and right....play it safe for now and move back when things pick up, especially if you plan to have kids..
Moved here about 4 months ago. Had two job offers within a week of looking. The economy here is fine. Housing is dirt cheap and utilities are even cheaper

As for culture, well......
Southwest flys to a lot of nice places cheap out of Columbus airport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-25-2008, 06:38 PM
 
122 posts, read 334,769 times
Reputation: 104
Default im from c bus i live in frederick md

cost of living is the only reason to move, plain and simple, if your settled down thats a good reason to. this area has way more fun and the jobs are paying
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 09:03 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
548 posts, read 1,775,285 times
Reputation: 115
I'm from NY originally and I moved to Columbus for 7+ years. I lived in Grandview and I loved it. Very close to downtown, it has it's one "downtown" with shops, bars, etc. And for your future plans, the schools are very good.

If you want to be more urban (I'd call Grandview "old suburban" as opposed to "McSuburb") you should check out Victorian Village or the Short North. You'll get your pick of great places to go (shopping, bars, good restaurants). The downside is 1) parking in the Short North can be tough and 2) the crime rate is higher than Grandview or other places further out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2008, 11:11 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
1,277 posts, read 4,063,561 times
Reputation: 688
Quote:
2) the crime rate is higher than Grandview or other places further out.
The crime rate of the Short North, the actual Victorian Village/Italian Village areas, is maybe a little higher than Grandview, but it should remembered that it is very safe for an urban area. Also, it is hardly a high crime area, it is just the city and every once in a while you hear of something.

For the last few years crimes in the short north seem to be even further on the decline. These days you only hear of some breakins/robberies north of the short north in Weiland Park or around the university district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top