U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-14-2008, 10:58 AM

35 posts, read 144,857 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about moving to Columbus from the DC area, but it seems like there is nothing but snobby suburbs and a few ghettos here and there. What is there for young professional 20-somethings to do for fun? Are there any DC/NOVA/MD natives here that can let me know which place they like better?

Old 11-14-2008, 11:40 AM

174 posts, read 619,105 times
If it was one big suburb it wouldn't be a city right?

Old 11-14-2008, 11:42 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,345,412 times
Short North

Old 11-14-2008, 11:56 AM

174 posts, read 619,105 times
No crabcakes

If your really in love with DC/Bmore, Yea your going to miss it. Despite what some people say and what the population says on the internet. Columbus is isn't a big city, If you were to take out the suburbs which all mostly lie outside of the city it would be a small/medium sized city with crime problems. Of course there are things to do, But outsiders rather stay at home and complain about how the buckeyes rule the world

Old 11-14-2008, 12:37 PM

1,277 posts, read 4,063,109 times
Columbus has a lively innercity. Columbus is a functioning, city. It is not one big suburb.

There are suburbs, but some of the inner ring suburbs have character (Grandview, Bexley).

I find it so sad that all of Columbus' accomplishments, in urban living and fixing up historic neighorhoods, could be miscommunicated into generalizing our city as a place with "suburbs and a few ghettos here and there." I am sorry this is the amount of information you have recieved.

I have traveled to many US and internation cities. Columbus is lucky (through hard work and a good 90's early 2000's thriving economy) to have liveable, safe for an urban area, and beautiful central city neighborhoods. Even in these economic times the demand for housing in these areas is increasing with more condo infill, home rehabs, and increasing home values.

Any neighborhood in or around downtown would be your cup of tea. Columbus is Ohio's most lively city for young professionals. There are lots of local restaurants and shops/boutiques. These are found on High St. in the Short North, the University District, Clintonville. And in the German Village/Brewery District areas south of downtown Columbus.

The NY Times and USA Today took trips to these Columbus neighborhoods and had nothing but good things to write about Columbus' central city.

There areas are full of residential options. Because Columbus has many gentrifying neighborhoods you will find many options from houses in diverse, youthful areas to condos in a historic building.

The only way Columbus lacks a big city feel, is that almost all corporate major high-end retail is on the Columbus city limit fringe. However, there are many options near the central city in different developments like the Shops on Lane, shops in Grandview, Lennox Town Center, etc.. All of these are located in the central city area or inner-ring suburbs.

Columbus, also, has a decent amount of arts offerings. You need to search these out though.

One example is the Wexner Center for the Arts. They bring in national and global modern performing and visual artists. Many living in a middle class suburb completely ignore these offerings. Also, the Columbus Symphony is back from a total collapse this summer (thank god.)

I say check out these neighborhoods I mentioned and see how they fit. Overall, Columbus is a growing (even in these economic times) city with a progessive, young population.

Last edited by streetcreed; 11-14-2008 at 01:10 PM..

Old 11-14-2008, 01:47 PM

3,070 posts, read 10,478,610 times
I wouldnt say all that, but it really depends on what your view of a stereotypical suburb is.

For someone whos used to a large, older city, Columbus might come off as one big suburb. Ive heard people call it just a overgrown farm/cowtown, but I dont really agree with that. You have downtown and a small inner city/urban area (which sadly seems to be becoming more suburbanized) around the core, then the rest is mostly low-density suburban looking areas, even in the city proper. The thing is that Columbus covers 220 sq miles from all the annexation of incorporated land. Im not sure how much the old city proper covered, but approximately 170 sq miles of that is more suburban looking (low density, newer, nearly all chain stores, generic, low character, etc.). The reason is that Columbus is so new as a large city. It was used as a major survey/testing center for a long time because of how average it was. Its ideal to some and builders because its so flat and became well laid out, but at the same time that takes away character. Some people would consider it a great city, others will probably hate it and think its boring. It all depends on personal taste and opinion.

Old 11-14-2008, 05:10 PM

Thanks for the feedback. The people that I got my information were biased both ways, wanting me to move there, or left and never want to come back. The positive things you guys said makes me feel better about doing more visiting to see what the area has to offer. Thanks!

Old 11-14-2008, 06:52 PM

150 posts, read 842,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chesapeake83 View Post
I am thinking about moving to Columbus from the DC area, but it seems like there is nothing but snobby suburbs and a few ghettos here and there. What is there for young professional 20-somethings to do for fun? Are there any DC/NOVA/MD natives here that can let me know which place they like better?
I moved from DC metro to Columbus and really like Columbus. True, there is not as much to do here, but the cost of living is so low that I can afford to live in a nice neighborhood, max out retirement account, travel and basically do most things I want without worrying about money. For us, it was a nice place to "get ahead." And my commute from Clintonville to downtown is a cinch! I feel like there's more time in the day.

I'm not going to lie, the restaurants don't compare to DC's, however, I basically NEVER eat fast food and RARELY go to chain restaurants (the exception being the occasional lunch with coworkers). You can find pretty much any kind of food you want, you just don't have 15 different cuisines in one block. There seem to be more outdoor dining choices than there were a few years ago. I don't think the restaurants in the Short North are quite as good as they should be, but for the most part I've been pleased. Overall I like the restuarants in Grandview as well.

As for activities, eh, well, it depends on what you're looking for. Obviously a city the size of Columbus in Ohio can't compete with a major metropolis, but there is plenty to do. You may not be able to find a different musuem event every night, but there is plenty to do. There is a symphony (back on for now, I hear), and no shortage of live music at different venues. There are several theaters (you can also see Broadway shows) and the ballet. If you like sports there is college and Arena football, soccer, hockey and baseball (minor league). There are climbing gyms, rivers for kyaking, running and bike trails and recreational sports teams. Columbus has most of what other cities have, just scaled down, proportionate to its size.

While I can understand why some people live in the suburbs, thinking about living in a cookie cutter home in a subdivision gives me hives. Luckily there are plenty of interesting neighborhoods in/near the city. These include Clintonville, Grandview, Short North, German Village, Victorian Village, Italian Village, Arena District, Merion Village, Bexley and Upper Arlington.

I don't have a problem avoiding big box stores (for the most part). But to be fair to Columbus, who in NOVA doesn't have a Costco membership? I mean, stores are stores, and you have to purchase the stuff you need, so I am glad Columbus has stores, unlike some areas in Northwestern Ohio. For the most part I purchase my clothes from the same stores in Columbus that I did in DC. I just choose not to hang out at the malls, because that's not what I do for fun. Malls don't impress me, but Easton, Polaris and Tuttle are pretty nice with most of the stores you could want. I can't tolerate the malls when they are crowded. That when I notice the Ohions who fit the negative stereotpyes!

If you are friendly and interesting and the type of person others want to be around (and from your post, you sound very nice), you shouldn't have a problem finding like-minded individuals. Contrary to popular belief, not everyone in Columbus grew up on a farm in the surrounding communities. There are a lot of transplants due to corporate relos and OSU. Now, if you live in Powell and hang out at Polaris and eat at Wafflehouse, you might not like Columbus. However, I have an interesting and somewhat diverse group of friends, and we do most of the same things I did in DC/NOVA.

If people expect to move to Columbus and compare it to a lifestyle they experienced in NYC or DC or Maryland, they will be disappointed. Maybe for you the positives will outweigh the negatives, but if not, at least you're taking the time to visit and do your research. If it's not for you, I am sure you'll find another city you like. By the way, what is your motivation to move?

Old 11-16-2008, 01:30 PM

My motivation to move is that the cost of living is so much lower in Ohio than Maryland. I want my kids to have the same lifestyle I had growing up, but I am not a doctor like my mom, and I can't afford that lifestyle in MD. I want to be able to live below my means. Also, my husband is from Ohio, and would like to be close to his family and best friends. He works in marketing, but he is also a drummer, and he had a lot more success music-wise in Columbus, and has had a hard time trying to break into the music scene in DC. So we think we could have a better quality of life in Columbus. I have never lived outside of MD and am just nervous about moving away from the area I love. But at some point, it is time to leave the nest and make your own, you know?

Old 11-17-2008, 09:51 AM

13,755 posts, read 23,213,984 times
I moved to Columbus from the DC area back in the early 1990's, and one of the main reasons I did it was so my kids could grow up in an area with a greater variety of people. I found the folks in the general DC metro area to be overly status and achievement oriented. Not that striving to get ahead is a bad thing, but it was waaaayyyyy too prevalent for my taste.

A mix of folks is a good thing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus