Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 04:52 PM

240 posts, read 953,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsher View Post
Worthington has been mentioned several times. What parts of Worthington are recommended?
Most of Olde Worthington is probably going to be a bit out of your price range. However, there are areas adjacent to the area that formally constitutes Olde Worthington where you might just find what you're looking for. Just FYI, though... In your price range, if you're looking near Olde Worthington, you might be looking at ranches, instead of 2-stories. (Again, from what I understand, you do not want something that feels 'planned suburban'.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 08:56 AM

43 posts, read 167,119 times
I find all these price discussions confusing. My home in UA (north of Lane, so not the older section with the biggest houses, but still a nice area) is worth about 200k. I've looked at houses in Grandview, Old Worthington, Colonial Hills (Worthington), Bexley, and Clintonville in the 200-250 range, most under 230, and found nice options in all. Granted, I only have one child, but a 3 bedroom, 1-2 bath, 1600 sq ft house is enough for me. I'd rather be in an area with older houses, mature trees, where I can walk to a park, library, some stores and restaurants, etc. Others may prefer newer or bigger homes in planned communities. Others go out in the exurbs/country for acerage.

We all have our preferences, but everything means a trade off unless you have unlimited funds. For 220k, I can get a smaller, nice home in a walkable, older area with great schools (UA). Or a bigger, newer (1980s+) house in a nice subdivision in an area with good schools (Hilliard). I chose the former and gave up some square footage and new house features (I'd love a bigger kitchen and bathroom, for example). Others choose the latter and give up walkability/trees/character of older neighborhoods. Whatver suits your life better, but very few suburbs of Columbus are unaffordable on 220k. It just depends on what you want to give up - you're unlikely to get everything you want for even double that.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,406 times
Default Any Advice?

I just took a job in West Liberty and i'm alittle over 2hrs away and wanted to relocate and was thinking about the Hilliard area. Its just me and my little boy, so I want to pick a safe, friendly neighborhood, i was thinking about a gated community or apartments. Does anyone have any suggestions or names of places that would fit the bill, plus i want to pick a good school district and i have no clue about the Columbus area, please help!!!!

Old 06-30-2012, 08:01 PM

73 posts, read 185,004 times
This is an old thread, but I'm sure you'll get lots of input.

Hilliard is a great place to live. I grew up in Columbus near Grandview and lived all over the US for years before moving back to Central Ohio in the '80s. We chose Hilliard and have been here since '86, so we've seen most of the growth boom take place. It's been quite a transformation.

The best advice I would give to anyone considering Hilliard or any of the similar suburbs is make sure you know for sure within what city the house you're looking at is located. For example, more than half of the "Hilliard City School District" is outside the city of Hilliard. A little less than half is in Hilliard, about the same amount is in Columbus, and the rest is in Norwich Township and a bit is even in Dublin. Your kids may go to "Hilliard Schools" (the district was called "Scioto-Darby Local School District" until the '80s, and that's really a more apt name for it since it has nothing to do with the city of Hilliard), and you may be served by the 43026 post office on Leap Road so you will technically have a Hilliard address, but those things don't necessarily mean you live in the city limits of Hilliard (and the same is true for all the Central Ohio suburbs). People pretty much call anything between the Scioto River and Darby Creek, and from Hayden Run Road to Feder Road "Hilliard", but for example, Hilliard actually does not extend south of Roberts Road, and touches it in only one place. People call the stores down on Hilliard-Rome Rd. the "Hilliard Target" or the "Hilliard Walmart", but those areas are actually well within Columbus. Even several neighborhoods NORTH of Roberts Road are in Columbus, such as the Crosscreek neighborhood mentioned earlier in the thread, and some of those residents will tell you they live in Hilliard when they in fact do not.

It may not seem to make much of a difference at first, but trust me, a few streets one way or the other can make a big difference in police and fire coverage and response times, snow plow coverage on residential streets, and many of the little personal service touches a suburb can and does tend to give. For example, I live just a couple of blocks from a Columbus neighborhood that on the surface is very similar to this one - the houses were even built by the same builders - but you can definitely tell the difference in city services. For instance, a snowy winter is a dead giveaway where the city limit borders are located. Our residential side streets generally get plowed within the first 24 hours after a heavy snowfall (the main thoroughfares get top priority, of course), whereas the side streets in the Columbus half of the neighborhood don't get touched at all.

Those things may or may not matter to you, but it's definitely something to consider.

Old 01-17-2013, 05:01 PM

14 posts, read 52,313 times
Ireana:

Regarding the areas around Davidson/Avery, wonder if it is still unsafe? I am interested in a condo very close to that intersection, which is across the street from the Middle School.

"some areas I tried to stay away from were up near Davidson/ Avery (they had some shootings in the apartments up near there not too long ago)... Also any other spot that is surrounded by apartment complexes, as there are lots of transients, which sometimes can pose problems to immediate neighboring homes"

Donald

Old 01-17-2013, 05:12 PM

14 posts, read 52,313 times
BgFalcon86:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgfalcons86
I would still say that area right across Avery Road from Davidson HS is an area to avoid.

I should clarify this comment... I'm specifically talking about the Avery Estates condos. I believe that particular condo complex is better than it was a couple years ago, but is still a bit sketchy. The other neighborhoods (Brixston, Hayden Run Village) are safe and offer good opportunities in the Davidson Rd. area.

Is that area (Avery Estates Condos) across the street from Davidson High School still dangerous, and should be avoided? I am currently looking at a condo very close to that area and would like to know if it is safe to stay there. Thank you.

Old 01-18-2013, 05:12 PM

259 posts, read 428,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsher View Post
Worthington has been mentioned several times. What parts of Worthington are recommended?
If you wanted the walkable Old Worthington area, you should look at Wilson Hill, Colonial Hills or Worthington Estates neighborhoods. Decent houses in that price range sell very quickly here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus