Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 04:28 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,042 times

Advertisements

If Cleveland is really doing all of those projects than it could really make the city good.But considering that nothing good ever happens to Cleveland I just have my doubts on them really doing all of the things you say they are going to do.And by the way those pictures you took were nice.What do you think of the new houses that they are supposedly going to build,do you think thier nice,because I like those old two story houses better,but the new ones are all right.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:23 PM

332 posts, read 2,251,688 times
I understand your doubts about anything good happening in Cleveland. It seems the place can never get a break. Most of the stuff I posted in already underconstruction and financing is approved so that stuff is happening. For example the flats north of The Main Avenue Bridge have started to be torn down as of last week so prep work for the flats redevelopment can start.

The lake front plan is very ambitious and probably won't be done for a decade, however the first phase could be done in 3 years and feature luxury stores you would find in Beverly Hills, Condos and new offices.

Off the radar (meaning hasn't been announced yet) are plans for new condos along that Barren stretch of Chester leading to the Clinic. A new office tower downtown and tons more that will only help Cleveland. I keep saying it, but in 5 years you won't recognize certain parts of the city.

As far as the new houses: they're alright I know in some neighborhoods they have tried to blend the new houses into the older ones by designing them like the old ones. Some look kind of boring some are an improvement. I like the two story houses to, it kind of gives Cleveland its own unique look.

I am really excited about the new condo projects getting announced. They offer the young professionals that want to be in an urban area a choice to live. University circle and the hospitals and institutions there want 25,000 new people living in the area in 10 years. so they have big plans. For the first time in a long time Cleveland has a good shot at truly coming back.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:18 PM

841 posts, read 2,260,501 times
yes this is due to the suckeye students

Old 03-19-2007, 05:45 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,112 times
Columbus is a lot less "ghetto" than Cleveland, in the sense most people would probably define ghetto.

However, as Streetcreed wisely pointed out this is largely an apples-to-oranges comparison. Cleveland and Columbus—though separated by only 140 miles of freeway—are vastly different kinds of cities.

Cleveland is older, and you could say it "has more experience" as a big city. Its greatest growth occurred during the 1880s–1920s as the giant wave of Eastern/Southern European immigration swelled Cleveland's then-growing neighborhoods. Most of those folks came to work in factories. Today's Cleveland still reflects these patterns: it has a much more European-ethnic flavor, some wonderful restaurants, and a great symphony. But Cleveland's population peaked in 1950, since which the city has lost over half its people! What moved in when the folks moved out? Gangs, thugs and trouble. Drive thru the city proper nowadays, and you'll see more dilapidated houses and abandoned factories than you ever imagined possible.

Columbus has always been a more white-collar town. Its biggest institutions are OSU, the state government and insurance companies. The presence of the legislature and university attracted a mostly Anglo-Saxon Protestant population base in the early years, and the population grew only gradually from about 1870–1970. Then in the past 40 years...job growth in the high-tech fields, whole companies relocating here, and the "discovery" of Columbus by newcomers from other places began a population boom that has yet to subside. The number of people living in Columbus has never been greater than it is today.

Old 03-19-2007, 05:51 PM

1,225 posts, read 4,451,683 times
Columbus is no where near as ghetto as Cincinnati. The ghetto in Cols is sort of fragmented and sort of "loose". Actually its more like a California ghetto than an trad midwest/east coast one.

Old 03-20-2007, 10:26 AM

If Cleveland and Cincinnati annexed all their suburbs there populations would be larger to!

Old 03-21-2007, 08:35 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,861,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MABCle View Post
If Cleveland and Cincinnati annexed all their suburbs there populations would be larger to!
That's very true. If either Cleveland or Cincy had a 222 mi² land area like Columbus has, they would actually include quite a few of their 'burbs and thus have a bigger population.

Proportionally, Columbus has less ghetto simply because there's so much more of Columbus!

Old 03-21-2007, 09:52 PM

^Very True

Old 03-22-2007, 04:07 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,651,042 times
Hey California is Superior who is California superior to cause its definetly not Ohio.And at least Ohios population isn't infested with illegal immigrants that can't speak English.I don't get why you would diss Ohio on our own forum.

Old 04-08-2007, 04:25 PM

95 posts, read 569,108 times
IMO:
Cleveland has a lot of really nice areas and then some deep down industrial rough areas.

Columbus: not much industrial type areas...definitely has pockets of bad...but I wouldn't define as ghetto.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus