U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 05:19 PM

174 posts, read 473,055 times
Columbus def is not one big suburban area

Old 08-21-2007, 08:42 PM

1,407 posts, read 3,336,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye 89 View Post
Columbus def is not one big suburban area
Ha! Not saying I agreed; just that I've heard people say it

Old 08-23-2007, 10:56 PM

1,407 posts, read 3,336,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
How would you say it differs from Charlotte? Is it possible that you are viewing the cities from narrow bases of experience as opposed to the whole area?

I know if I compared Columbus to Sacramento, that if I compared Grove City to Rocklin I would think Sacramento is much nicer, but if I compared Grove City to North Highland, I would favor Columbus.
Since you brought up Sacramento, I always laugh whenever Rush clarifies something on his show "for those of you in Rio Linda..."

I can only imagine what kind of place Rio Linda must be, or what area of Columbus it would be analogous to.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:34 AM

13,450 posts, read 15,879,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
Since you brought up Sacramento, I always laugh whenever Rush clarifies something on his show "for those of you in Rio Linda..."

I can only imagine what kind of place Rio Linda must be, or what area of Columbus it would be analogous to.
It is in the north side of the city, adjacent to where the McLellan AFB was located until about 10 years ago. Average income is about $55 K per household now, and some of the housing has been nicely upgraded. Being an old air base oriented town, I understand it was quite shabby when he lived here, but since the base closed down in 1995, the area has been gradually improving. It still has a long way to go though.

Homes generally sell in the mid to upper $200 range, which is the lowest average price in the Sacramento metro area. From what I have seen in pricing charts, they doubled in median price during the period of 2000-2006, and unlike the rest of Sacramento they have not suffered any subsequent price decline.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Rio-Linda-California.html

Old 09-06-2007, 12:05 PM

8 posts, read 22,828 times
I have to agree with streetcred. The inner core of columbus has experienced huge appreciation in home prices the past 10 years. I should know. My friends who bought in the inner area made a ton on their home sales while my suburban home has gained little.

Columbus' inner core is strong and it's newer suburbs are strong. It's weak point are some of it's older suburbs in the north around morris road.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:11 PM

8 posts, read 22,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trying2bloom View Post
I'm jumping in here a little late in the game but I thought I'd add something to the mix : ) My husband and I were so excited to finally buy a home a couple of years ago. The "white flight" that some have referred to is something I can understand now that we are in our neighborhood. We are NOT racist and feel we are pretty open-minded about people of all types. We have been disappointed however with the people who have moved into our neighborhood. What causes us to wish to leave is that several rarely mow their grass and generally let things go in their yards, it's disheartening to those of us who try hard and do care what our yard looks like. We have had to hear many fights around us and loud vulgar music (the lyrics blasting so that we must keep our young children indoors to avoid hearing the profanities/sexual words.) Young children are allowed to run the streets unsupervised - dashing out into the street in front of your car constantly, etc...
We live in Canal Winchester which is really a nice place and our house is mid-range in price for the area so it's not as if we came to a run down area crawling with drug dealers and vacant buildings.
I realize this thread is really about making sure Columbus was not "ghetto"-- but there's been a lot of tangents : ) and so I thought I'd put my 2cents in about why people might be the moving further and further away from the "city."
"kids running around unsupervised". I thought that was the sign of a good neighborhood. what subdivision do you live in?

Old 09-13-2007, 11:59 AM

1,297 posts, read 2,650,477 times
When I visited Columbus I really didn't see a true ghetto, it has nothing on the troubled neighborhoods here in Pittsburgh(Homewood, East Hills, Lincoln-larmier, and ect.) and from what I heard Cleveland is even rougher than Pittsburgh. Columbus to me seemed like one big suburb.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:27 PM

3,070 posts, read 7,710,659 times
I dont think Columbus is one big suburb. Its more like a tiny urban core surrounded by giant suburban areas. There are areas of Columbus that people think are bad because of the vacant lots, but actually unlike Detroit or Cleveland, there was never anything in those vacant lots. Columbus has large empty areas even inside of the city that were never built up. Cleveland and Detroit were completely built up at one time.

Old 09-15-2007, 06:24 PM

174 posts, read 473,055 times
you wont see a true ghetto if you dont know where your going. Just visting riding to your friends house taking 2-70 and what not. Everybody talks about how bad Cincinnatti is......Well Columbus has more murders than them and this is a good year for crime. And alot of bad areas in columbus dont even look that bad. But theres plenty of spots like "King-Lincoln" that if you was to go to. You think you transported right into a bad spot in Detroit.

Old 09-29-2007, 11:53 PM

66 posts, read 163,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ulsterscot View Post
Your best bet is not to live anywhere inside 270.
I'm looking at a google map of columbus though, isn't basically the entire city inside 270?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus