U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-24-2007, 01:17 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,967,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
bexly is nice but is right in the middle of the worst of the worst so all the junkies come there and rob all the hard working inocent families
That is a nice theory, I would like to see the evidence now. Your statement is a story at best.

Quote:
NO dont do it.stay away from livingston,parsons,alum creek in that area,and also most definitly lockbourne.dont go near childrens kelton or miller i grew up there and i always got messed with i was the only white kid there.we had 6 break ins in 2 years. so dont move there if you dont have to.if you dont have any place else to go then its ok but stay away from places i stated eirler and carry guns.
Now I can understand where if you grew up in these areas you saw the worst of the worst. The youth and poor families often have a very different perspective than someone living in a renovated house thats worth 500,000 dollars.

The poor person sees the crime, knows the people committing the crime, and struggles.

The rich person in the renovated home sees the neighborhoods as diverse, changing, looks at the beautiful old houses, the parks, walks their dog, drives to other areas of downtown and goes out to nice restaurants, plays, theater.

As you can tell, your experience, although very sad, is not the reality of the near east side today for everyone.

Also, in just the last 7 years there have been a lot of renovations and changes in these areas. I am saying hang on to this property on the near east side. Property values are going to get very high there one day.

With gas prices going up
Alll of the other areas of downtown already being renovated
Columbus' economy growing more
More poor African-Americans leaving these areas for the suburbs, thus the house is empty for a renovation
And a growing class of young professionals who want to live near downtown

THUS the near east side is only going to get better, and is only getting better. IT is the last area around downtown, with potential, to be gentrified. There is not other place to fix up. The north side already is (short north) and so is the near south side (german village, merion village)

Think about this, in the 80s someone would tell a person they were crazy for keeping a house in the Short North. Homes were selling for a dollar there.
So the "poor whites" (that is who mostly owned the houses there) sold the houses. For say 20,000 at most. GUESS WHAT
the person who bought it (mostly gay people at the time) paid 20,000 dollars for a home, and now those houses are worth 400,000 with NO renovations.

How do you think that poor, struggling person who had the house feels for letting go of it? They could have made half a million, doing nothing, just sitting on a house, and if they renovated it much much more.

So just think about this, before you listen to a history lesson about the way an area was think of what it will become based upon evidence and trends. Look at the Franklin County auditors website, you will see homes in most areas of the near east side are gaining value faster than some suburban areas.

Old 11-28-2007, 02:59 AM

245 posts, read 868,610 times
As a tribute to Cleveland, the most ghetto area of Columbus is along Cleveland Ave.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:31 PM

1,407 posts, read 3,384,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoMikey617 View Post
As a tribute to Cleveland, the most ghetto area of Columbus is along Cleveland Ave.
LOL! You know, I never thought of it that way...but you're absolutely right

Very fitting, indeed.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:53 PM

126 posts, read 115,112 times
streetcred i feel you on taking up for the near east side man trust me i undertstand being from that area.

Columbus is NOT as ghetto as Cleveland or Cincinnatti. It just is not. i don't care about statistics or numbers or what the hell ever it is NOT as ghetto as any other city in the midwest. It's just not damn it. Being a black male FROM the hood and having to travel to many cities to visit relatives, going to events or hell even just to kick it I HAVE SEEN GHETTO AND IT AIN'T IN COLUMBUS! trust me.

I have even had a few of my cousins come up or down from various cities and say things like "man this columbus looks boring" or "where all the black folks" or "where the hood at?".

the near east side and east side has the most concentration of black folks i think. I know most of the "old guard" black families of the city live mainly on the east side, the near east side, bexley, berwick or reynoldsburg. The thing about the area is like streetcred said there are many different types of people living in the area together. for example an apartment that i had off of bryden road was surrounded by a gay couple on the right, blood gang memebers on the left, and an old lady named myrtle across the street. thats the type of thing that goes on around there.

Now i have heard stories from my parents saying things like "back in the day you didn't walk down main street". But i have also heard those same people say "there used to be a strong black community with doctors offices, bowling alleys, movie theaters and so forth before the addition of 670 and the demolision of random buildings". Gentrification can go both ways and it has in this area.

The ghetto doesn't has to be a color thing either im just speaking from my own personal.

Old 11-28-2007, 06:58 PM

Excellent summary, stationplay!

Old 11-28-2007, 07:31 PM

126 posts, read 115,112 times
lol thanx. I just got back from a thankgiving in cleveland and i had this same arguement with my cousin. To her columbus is "too white". Im like now what the hell would you say if someone said cleveland was "too black"? She would be ready to call the local NAACP chapter im sure. Ignorance goes across the board man i tell you.....

I have always apreciated columbus for not being "as" ghetto as the other two c's. The attitude is even different among folks from blighted areas. People from the hood all over the state frequently say " I don't like n---s from columbus cause they think they all that". the universal dream is not to "move into a mc mansion" for everyone. It's more of a "im gonna live amongst the people im used to seeing" type of attitude here as to "i have to live in this area because it's all i can afford". Most of those townhomes and houses are renting for about 550-900 a month which is the same amount you will find in the short north so if someone who lived in the area wanted to move, they could. they just don't want to. Alot of those homes are also passed down from generation to generation. Columbus itself is a city where people actualy have jobs and aren't as desolate and poor compared to other places. There's always a call center that one can go apply if need be lol.

I heard someone mention San Fransico in an earlier posting and seriously, the way that san frans ghetto is made up kinda reminds me of columbus....minus all the homeless and crack heads. You can feel safe once you get past the stigma. Most people are at work during the day. Usualy the people you see walking down the street are teenagers after school or people walking to the store. With the exception of the occasional crackhead most people are in the house and sleep at dusk. It's all the stigma man! and just like columbus there is gentrification going on ALL AROUND THESE AREAS! you turn the corner and your in good area, go down the street your in the tenderloin. It's the same way here.

From my experience honestly i have always had to go to westerville to cop the best weed so........go fig.

Columbus has stayed progressive for the past 20 so years and residents everywhere can agree that they feel safe. I can't speak for what has happened to some folks. I've been robbed too.....but it was on my way home from a keg party on campus, not at my apartment off of main street.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:28 PM

3,070 posts, read 7,837,249 times
I have a friend whos family lives on Cleveland Ave. in Columbus and he has been to Miller, Livingston and all of those places that people in Columbus consider bad areas. He told me he thought that most of Cleveland looks and is 10 times worse then those areas.

Old 11-29-2007, 01:45 AM

Quote:
But i have also heard those same people say "there used to be a strong black community with doctors offices, bowling alleys, movie theaters and so forth before the addition of 670 and the demolition of random buildings". Gentrification can go both ways and it has in this area.
Now that is very true, if you look at films from the 40s of the near east side, there is steakhouses, markets, theaters, jazz clubs, swimming pools, all in a walk able urban setting.

The black community cherished the east side, then like most cities, 1950s highway culture, cheap suburbs, a start of the loss of well paying industrial jobs, and most important; the invention of the highway tearing through the heart of the black community. I 71

When I 71 and I 670 and I 70 were constructed they literally disconnected the near east side from jobs downtown and at other factories and many buildings were lost and parking lots were put in. (Heck look at downtown Columbus, all of those lots along Long, Gay, and Spring, there was buildings there once.)
As Columbus grew, the city put up high-rises for offices, but tore down many lower/mid rise buildings to provide parking.

I do hope that many of the great structures can be kept on the near east side, there are just some great buildings over there. The large houses have already been saved (for the most part) now the trick will be getting investors to rehab all of the great 2-4 story residential/commercial space buildings. The best way to go about that is to get the neighborhoods to reinvest on their own in the community, with maybe a mix of some outside assistance. The mayor is already making a great effort to do this in the King-Lincoln district (where the Lincoln theater is being fixed up now.)

Quote:
The ghetto doesn't has to be a color thing either im just speaking from my own personal.
I totally agree "ghetto" is not a color issues, but many use the word "ghetto" to mean a black person, and it just really gets on my nerves. I hear so many say "easton is so ghetto now", simply becasue there is a mixed group of races and incomes (barely though) who are patrons there. Just becasue everyone does not look the same some people think it is so strange or ghetto.

Quote:
Columbus is not very transit oriented at all. COTA is GHETTO, and you end up waiting around to where it takes an hour to travel what would take 10 minutes by car.
Well, look what i just found. Here is what someone said regarding COTA in another post here on the Columbus site. This comment seems very typical of the usuage of the word "ghetto" that means "black." Could this poster maybe live in say Hilliard? I would guess so.

Last edited by streetcreed; 11-29-2007 at 01:54 AM..

Old 11-29-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
(Heck look at downtown Columbus, all of those lots along Long, Gay, and Spring, there was buildings there once.)
As Columbus grew, the city put up high-rises for offices, but tore down many lower/mid rise buildings to provide parking.
Total dittos to you on this! I'm really dumbfounded at the prevalence of surface-level parking lots in the downtown core of Columbus. There's even one at State & 3rd, south of the Dispatch building, directly across from the Statehouse! Talk about prime real estate gone to waste... If they're gonna encourage downtown parking, they should at least build garages for a more efficient use of space!

In an aerial view of downtown, all those parking lots combined give Columbus a nice post-WWII Dresden or Hiroshima look (devastated).

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
I totally agree "ghetto" is not a color issues, but many use the word "ghetto" to mean a black person, and it just really gets on my nerves. I hear so many say "easton is so ghetto now", simply becasue there is a mixed group of races and incomes (barely though) who are patrons there. Just becasue everyone does not look the same some people think it is so strange or ghetto.
Indeed. Ghetto mentality comes in all shapes, sizes...and colors!

Old 11-29-2007, 01:31 PM

Quote:
If they're gonna encourage downtown parking, they should at least build garages for a more efficient use of space!
There is actually a plan, by the downtown office of the city, to buy surface lots and built public parking on them. This has been an idea of the mayor, Mike, for a few years now. A consolidated parking plan is a must if downtown is going to be able to grow with more highrise/midrise development.

Some people can complain all they want about Columbus turning democrat, but it wasn't until we lost the republican leadership that issues like spurring downtown development, rebuilding downtown infrastructure, consolidating parking, creating a downtown development office, building better mass transit, finding effective reuses for old buildings, and rebranding and marketing downtown have even begun or gone into full swing. The mayor has done a very indepth job of finding ways to always push development downtown. They could have just stopped at building downtown condos, but instead the mayor is always finding ways to integrate all of the issues so they can work together to make downtown better.

Many do know this, but before Coleman took office every development downtown actually had a code that you had to have parking for so many of the people who would use the building. Basically Columbus had a development code for the suburbs in downtown. That is why you have a old or office building with a lot next door pattern in our city. The hindering development codes downtown are now gone, and just a comission exists (which approves everything based on a development plan.)

Also, there is a lot of development planned for the area of gay st/long st. and literally 10 surface lots will be gone. Also, the new Franklin County Courthouse and a plan for apartments along Front St. will eat more lots.

Last edited by streetcreed; 11-29-2007 at 01:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus