Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 10:25 AM

560 posts, read 2,068,185 times

Advertisements

My wife and I live in Cincinnati and saw a food network show which featured Schmidt's Sausage Haus in German Village. Of course, the show trumped it up as the best Sausage ever, great place for German food, amazing cream puffs, etc. etc.

We've never been to German Village before, but I heard good things. Is it worth a 2 hour drive to go eat at the Sausage Haus and walk around German Village in January?

Or should we wait until the weather improves (or find a better German restaurant) before making a day trip?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 11:50 AM

548 posts, read 2,009,282 times
there's not a lot of window shopping in German Village, though if you are a reader, a trip to the Book Loft is essential. It's a cool book store with 27 rooms with winding hallways.

As far as Schimdt's goes, the food is good (if you like german sausages), and the desserts like the creme puffs are FANTASTIC.

Old 01-17-2009, 12:30 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,124,753 times
I think that the German Village, Victorian Village and Short North areas are worth a visit, but would probably wait until around May before coming up to Columbus and walking around for a few hours.

Old 01-18-2009, 05:44 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,656,610 times
German Village is a hidden Midwest treasure. The neighborhood is not only authentic to its German Heritage, it is a place that has been restored and kept safe, and nice for visitors and Columbusites.

Going to Schmidts almost feels like you have walked back in time or are in a small quaint village. When you approach the restaurant you are surrounded by brick roads, brick and wood framed 3 story tall buildings with a Fudge Shop and local artist shop. German Village is better trip in the warmer weather, as it is spread out and most enjoyable when you look at the restored architecture and enjoy Schiller Park.

The trip, from Cincinnati, would be worth it, but more so if you also visit Columbus' urban/arts entertainment district, The Short North. While there you will find a long linear strip of local shops and great local restaurants, lining High St.

Short North Arts District Official Website - Columbus Short North - Short North Columbus |

The adjacent Short North is a neighborhood lined with restored Victorian era homes, gardens, and townhomes.

Old 01-18-2009, 10:45 PM

455 posts, read 1,878,626 times
Schmidts tried to develop into a chain many years ago, but it failed in the suburbs where old GV mainstay Max & Erma's made it big. The food is good... but then again it is fairly difficult to screw up German food. Check out The Old Mohawk for a better, or at least more genuine, GV experience down the street. Thurmans is another stop for you to avoid the tourist/suburbanite places.

The Book Loft is amazingly cool btw... I could live there (serious) if given a sleeping bag.

Last edited by HuskerDu; 01-18-2009 at 10:59 PM..

Old 01-20-2009, 10:23 PM

10 posts, read 56,807 times
Skip Schmidts and go to Handke's in the Brewery District which is across High Street from German Village. Delicious food and unique atmosphere. Go to Helen Winnemore's in German Village for beautiful crafts by individual artists- turned wooden bowls, jewelry, hand blown glass, etc. Go on Tuesdays or Thursdays to meet Sarah, the owner. Grab a drink at Club 185 on Livingston Ave after 5 to check out the Village crowd. Then off to dinner at Handke's. Enjoy!

Old 01-21-2009, 02:03 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,656,610 times
Quote:
Skip Schmidts and go to Handke's in the Brewery District which is across High Street from German Village. Delicious food and unique atmosphere. Go to Helen Winnemore's in German Village for beautiful crafts by individual artists- turned wooden bowls, jewelry, hand blown glass, etc. Go on Tuesdays or Thursdays to meet Sarah, the owner. Grab a drink at Club 185 on Livingston Ave after 5 to check out the Village crowd. Then off to dinner at Handke's. Enjoy!
Handke's is a great restaurant. The chef is one of the best in city, state, and country. I know he has gotten some awards from international chef competitions.

Truthfully, Columbus' central city has many great, local dining options. Schmidt's is great for a visit, for more casual, local fair, while Handke's could be debated as one of Columbus' many local great higher end restaurants with renowned a chef.

Old 01-23-2009, 07:58 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,057,025 times
Everyone goes to Schmidts.

Once

And never for the food

Old 01-23-2009, 04:32 PM

5 posts, read 14,247 times
I agree that Handke's is really fantastic, but it's a HELL of a lot more expensive than Schmidt's. I live in German Village and everytime we have friends/family/out-of-towners over we take them over to Schmidt's and they love it. The food is great and during the weeknights they sometimes have authentic German bands playing.

I would say it's worth the trip for the food and to say that you went, but also to explore around German Village. You should make a day trip out of it and start in the Short North and then head over to German Village. I saw that Food Network show! It's nice to see that Schmidt's is getting some proper recognition.

I agree with everyone else about the weather, you may want to wait until it's a bit warmer. Another thing to keep in mind is that they do NOT take reservations, so just keep that in mind!!

Old 02-04-2009, 12:59 PM

80 posts, read 277,123 times
Without a doubt! Schmidt's is worth a visit. I am originally from a much larger east coast city, and despite the many ethnic offerings in that part of the country, German is not nearly as popular a cuisine as say, French, Italian, etc. It is probably one of the few, if any, authentic German restaurants in the midwest of maybe even the country. That may not have been true decades ago, but is now. Sure, there are higher end places which have opened up, if you are into that sort of stuffy thing (like Handkes), but this is the real deal. And while it is not McDonald's cheap, it is far from expensive. They have their own good beer too! And if you are visiting Schmidt's, check out other local restaurants, shops, etc. German Village is the most unique neighborhood in the state, and possibly in the midwest. (I know Chicagoan..laugh now).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus