Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 03:39 PM

3 posts, read 7,331 times

Advertisements

I may have my choice between the two for grad school, but have never been to Ohio.
I've done research on the programs, but I wanted to just get some general opinions from residents...
I'm 30, female and what most people would call, i guess, a "hipster" even though i hate that word.
I have three dogs (shar pei's) and am looking to live close enough to the school that I can ride my bike and maybe make it home for lunch to walk my pups. In Columbus, from my research on this site, it seems I would want to look south of campus (Short North?). In Athens, it seems so small that no matter where I am I could walk to school (jk, but only a little).
I'd like the city to have museums, independent films, dog parks, belgium beer, and gluten free food.
I'm moving from a large urban city and am used to having to watch out for myself, so I'm not concerned with crime rate.

I'll answer any questions if you have any...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2009, 11:56 AM

509 posts, read 781,820 times
OSU is much more highly regarded academically than OU in most areas of study, so go with OSU.

Cultural stuff? Columbus is bigger so naturally it will offer more. But Athens, for its size, is nice.

For both schools, there's plenty of living space within walking distance.

Winner: OSU hands down

Old 02-15-2009, 12:34 PM

2,107 posts, read 5,084,249 times
I personally chose OSU over OU because of the remoteness of Athens. Basically, Columbus offers most things you could want in one of its many neighborhoods and its bus system is far reaching enough so if you need to get something in one of the inner ring suburbs, its possible. Short North/Victorian Village would probably be your best bet for housing. Columbus is also a pretty progressive city in the midwest's bible belt.

Athens, if it doesn't have it, you probably can't get it (unless you order over the internet). I've had the pleasure of driving to Athens and it is in the middle of nowhere in Southeast Ohio. Not that Athens is bad, cause for a small college town in a rural setting it offers a lot, but if it is not there, you need a car to get it from the next town over (or more likely Lancaster or Parkersburg, WV).

I'd have to say, go with OSU.

Old 02-16-2009, 02:28 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,671,655 times
Your Needs, and if they can be found in Columbus

1. Hipsters. CHECK
2. Urban Parks, yes many of those. CHECK
3. Film Festivals CHECK
4. Art galleries. Many within walking distance of osu. CHECK
5. Mass Transit with urban bus system. CHECK
6. Belgium Beer. CHECK, many spots including Bodega in the Short North, they have over 50 beers on tap.

And based upon these preferences you should check out living just south of OSU's campus. The Short North would be ideal for you, but the further south you live the further it will take to get to class. Buses can take you there, but it is easiest if you can be in closer walking distance. I would suggest living in the northern section of the short north. You would be a little closer to OSU.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:15 AM

3 posts, read 7,331 times
I just got my offer phone call.
It's OSU!
So I'll be moving there in August...
Good Lord!
Houston to Columbus.... this is going to be a long drive!

Thank you so much for your responses.
I knew OSU was my first choice program-wise, but I was a little nervous with the city choice having never been to either place.
I'm not nervous anymore...
especially since it's official!

Old 02-16-2009, 12:24 PM

498 posts, read 1,507,710 times
columbus is going to feel smaller than houston to you, that is for sure. nonetheless, you made the right decision between the two unless ou had had a better program.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:05 PM

394 posts, read 1,430,551 times
I vote OSU. I bounced around to a ton of different schools before finally settling on staying at OSU. I'm very content and proud to be a Buckeye.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:42 AM

11 posts, read 23,911 times
I am going to OSU too. this summer

Old 02-17-2009, 11:19 AM

212 posts, read 687,050 times
Good luck!! I think you'll love living in C-bus better. Sorry, no offense to Athens!

Old 02-17-2009, 11:48 AM

455 posts, read 1,884,515 times
I would have recommended Ohio University but it looks like you've already made a decision based on an offer call?... and/or hopefully not this message board. If enough research has been done into the specific field of graduate studies (that were never mentioned here btw) there should be no question as to which University will fit your academic needs. As for surroundings, Athens Ohio is the picturesque setting for a college town and is much more community based. There is a ton of nightlife without the sketchy impoverished neighborhoods that surround and create an enormous amount of crime that exists all over OSU campus. Just do yourself a favor and DO NOT live within a short walking distance to OSU. There is Clintonville to the north and the far more popular option of Short North to the south. As long as you don't live between Lane Avenue to the north and 5th Avenue to the south, living conditions for OSU will not seem like such a bad decision.

Again, If you have not visited Athens, Ohio, I highly suggest you take a few days to explore it before making a commitment to either/or.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus