U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 06:04 AM

1 posts, read 19,495 times

Advertisements

Would anyone like to comment on the availabilty of things to do/meeting people, being single in Columbus? I am female, straight and closer to 40.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 06:25 PM

40 posts, read 174,971 times
Well, there's always N. High Street, along the Ohio State Campus and Short North, and the Arena District, all of which seems to be the real "Downtown" of Columbus with all of the shops, bars and restaurants.

But honestly, if you don't love college football, and maybe hockey, there isn't really a whole lot of major interest to people 35 and over in the city itself. Most of the entertainment seems to be geared more towards the college-age or immediately post-college/young professional OSU crowd. For people 35 and over, Polaris, Easton and Dublin seem to be the preferred entertainment destinations, if you consider shopping entertainment, that is.

OSU's powerful influence seems to have made Columbus a very youth-oriented city, especially when compared to Cleveland and Cincinnati, which aren't particularly big in terms of local college scenes, but have a lot more plentiful cultural and natural offerings that appeal to all ages for being relative in size to Columbus.

In short, if I were under 35 and single, I'd be fairly happy in Columbus. But if I were 35, single, and looking for something more meaningful than getting plastered at a bar every friday and saturday night, and I had the option to move elsewhere within the state, I would probably check out Cincinnati or Cleveland.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:38 PM

1,277 posts, read 4,389,485 times
ok Columbus more mature nighlife scene has taken off and would far surpase Cleveland and Cincinnati.
Literally in the last 6 years sections of the Arena District, Short North, and now Broad St. are geared toward a more mature crowed.
However, it is still a crowed mostly made up of late 20 somethings to early 30's. Columbus has a strong young professional scene. So if you fit into that mold then you will be happy here. If your 35 and want to attend a jazz bar or piano bar, we have less of those, but we do have bars/pubs/and clubs that are geared toward the post college crowed.

Columbus' average age is 31, one of the youngest in the country. This is a great place for a single individual to settle down, and have plenty of options when it comes to dating. Columbus has a great dining scene, and some great restaurants to go on for a date. Columbus is great when it comes to bars, clubs, and restaurants. All things that you need for the perfect date or to find a date, and have fun.

I would say that Columbus does have a huge party 21-24 yr. old scene, but that is mostly centered around the OSU campus. You don't have to attend those places if you dont want to, there's plenty of other options.

If your into the modern arts or alternative rock music or light rock, Columbus has a lot of these venues.

Old 04-07-2007, 08:23 AM

95 posts, read 543,277 times
well a lot of ppl post-college, tend to live off of the Bethel Rd area/near 315.

Tons of ppl in this age group go to nicer bars to watch Buckeye games etc...
I would say, depending on your hobby...u could join a club or something.

Runners= running club
photography= photo club classes etc....

sorry I am not more helpful...but I think finding and living in a hip/area that would have more singles is impt.
So I think German Village, Short North, or Bethel Rd/315-Saw Mill rd area is a good place to start

Old 04-07-2007, 09:27 AM

30 posts, read 218,231 times
Smile have fun doing what you like and you will meet people

this is a good thread, good comments have been posted here, i suggest meeting people doing the things you like to do like if you enjoy going to the gym, be positive and happy and people flock to you, if they have bike or step classes, go to them, if you like to go to church most have group activities there, i don't drink so i can't help with that one, community service people have tons of single positive people that help out, i do that sometimes and have met some great people, i will say this, people like happy, postive and motivated people and if this is you how can you lose, i think you will be just fine.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:34 PM

1,277 posts, read 4,389,485 times
I Second the addition of what is called the Northwest columbus area (this is the area that is between Dublin and Upper Arlington along Henderson Rd. and Bethel Rd. and Sawmill Rd. This is a good option for those that want an area with families and singles, but in a neighborhood that is newer (past 30 years) and more suburban in layout.

Also, the Columbus neighborhood near Grandview Heights (just west of the Short North and downtown) has a lot of young professionals, and singles ALOT.

Last edited by streetcreed; 04-08-2007 at 01:48 PM..

Old 04-11-2007, 07:58 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,638,973 times
I have the same advice for anyone who's single, whether you're 20, 30 or 40 and beyond. I was in the same boat for a long time, but now joyously and thankfully by the grace of God, I'm getting married soon and I can hardly contain my happiness!

If you're SERIOUSLY looking to remedy that "singleness" situation, please...forget the bars, forget the Internet, forget the self-help books, Oprah-fied "relationship" experts, Cosmo magazine, and all the rest.

Go to church!

Seriously, it works! My fiancée and I are living proof.

Of course I don't recommend going solely for that reason. You actually go there to meet God, and then He takes care of the rest...

If you're curious, check out the following links:
http://www.ualc.org/templates/cusupp...=377923&Style=
http://vineyardcolumbus.com/ministri...gles/index.asp

Old 04-29-2007, 12:11 PM

2 posts, read 26,176 times
Default Don't move to Columbus if you're 30+

I'm a 35-year-old single, professional man. I've lived in Columbus for 3 years. I am not a Columbus native, and I've spent time in most major midwest cities, so I think I can provide an objective opinion regarding single life in Columbus. I'm sure Columbus natives will not enjoy all aspects of my post, but I speak the truth.

Pros:

low cost of living
easy commute anywhere in metro Columbus
growing city
central location in the midwest
great for younger singles (under 28 and under) due to Ohio State undergrads/grad students

Cons:

Columbus is a large city with a small-town mentality. Although it sounds completely absurd, the city is truly defined by and obsessed with all things Ohio State. If you either don't like OSU or don't care, go somewhere else - because you cannot escape the OSU hoopla here. This even bleeds into the singles dating culture - you will limit your dating prospects if you don't hop on the OSU bandwagon - sad, but true. Outside of OSU, I've not found anything truly unique about Columbus - and I've explored the area thoroughly. It's a newer city struggling to find an identity - very suburban - sort of a smaller Atlanta. If you're looking for a mid-sized city with a bigger-city feel, check out Indianapolis.

Average arts/culture scene - 20 years from now things will be different, but currently, older cities including Cincinnati, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Chicago, and Indianapolis all have better established museums/arts programs and cultural amenities.

Lots of rednecks (sorry - but this is true).

Overall, Columbus is a great FAMILY town - an area with good family values, nice suburbs, and good schools. There's only one city in the entire midwest I've found that actually attracts and caters to single thirty-somethings - Chicago.

Old 04-29-2007, 08:22 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,638,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhalas View Post
Columbus is a large city with a small-town mentality. ... Lots of rednecks (sorry - but this is true).
Actually, those go on my list of GOOD things about Columbus

In my humble opinion, redneck women are HOT!! And that's why I'm so thankful I've finally found me one

But I definitely agree w/you about the insane Ohio State bandwagon that exists here. Who gives a flying hoo-hah?! It's almost like a cult! I'm even a pretty big sports fan in general (NFL, NASCAR, Baseball) but I find the whole OSU fan madness silly and over-the-top.

Have a good one!

Old 04-29-2007, 09:11 PM

123 posts, read 717,564 times
Church is definitely the best place to meet people. As far as rednecks go...my ancestors were the original rednecks.

RED NECK
The origins of this term are Scottish and refer to supporters of the National Covenant and The Solemn League Covenant, or "Covenanters", largely Lowland Presbyterians and Ulster-Scots / Scotch-Irish Presbyterians. The Covenanters of 1638 and 1641 signed the documents which stated that Scotland desired the Presbyterian form of church government and would not accept the Church of England as its official state church. Many Covenanters signed in their own blood and wore red pieces of cloth around their necks as distinctive insignia; hence the term "Red neck", which became slang for a Scottish dissenter. Since many Ulster-Scottish settlers in America (especially the South) were Presbyterian, the term was applied to them, and then, later, their Southern descendants. One of the earliest examples of its use comes from 1830, when an author noted that "red-neck" was " a "name bestowed upon the Presbyterians." It makes you wonder if the originators of the ever-present "redneck" joke are aware of the term’s origins?

HILL BILLY

The origin of this American nickname for mountain folk in the Ozarks and in Appalachia comes from Ulster (Northern Ireland). Ulster-Scottish settlers in the hill-country of Appalachia brought their traditional music with them to the new world, and many of their songs and ballads dealt with William, Prince of Orange, who defeated the Catholic King James II of the Stuart family at the Battle of the Boyne, Ireland in 1690. Supporters of King William were known as "Billy Boys" and their North American counterparts were soon referred to as "hill-billies". It is interesting to note that a traditional song of the Glasgow Rangers football club today begins with the line, "Hurrah! Hurrah! We are the Billy Boys!" and shares its tune with the famous American Civil War song, "Marching Through Georgia".

CRACKER and "The Crack"

Another Ulster-Scot term, a "cracker" was a person who talked and boasted, and "crack" is a term still used in Scotland and Ireland to describe "talking", chat or conversation in a social sense (‘Let’s go down to the pub and have a crack."). The term, first used to describe a southerner of Ulster-Scottish background, later became a nickname for any white southerner, especially those who were uneducated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus