Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 07:21 AM

212 posts, read 684,934 times

Advertisements

I like Mayor Coleman and thinks he's done a good job under what he's been dealt.
I don't see people voting for the income increas, when so many people are out of work or less hours.
And I don't agree with spending the money on the study and development of rail. I have no idea how many people are out there that could benefit from this, but right now I'd rather have more police and fire than a freaking railroad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 05:13 PM

215 posts, read 542,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhgirl View Post
I like Mayor Coleman and thinks he's done a good job under what he's been dealt.
I don't see people voting for the income increas, when so many people are out of work or less hours.
And I don't agree with spending the money on the study and development of rail. I have no idea how many people are out there that could benefit from this, but right now I'd rather have more police and fire than a freaking railroad.
EXACTLY! He doesn't understand that, maybe a few college students would use it every now and then but thats it. We do have COTA, we don't need any other form of public transportation.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:22 PM

1,279 posts, read 4,654,228 times
Quote:
Columbus is the very (very very) last of the three C's that deserves any consideration for street cars. As much as a few (recently suburbanized) central urban areas happen to be so entertaining at the moment, the lack of character/age/landscape in much, if not 90%, of C-bus just kills any chance at competition where Cincinnati or Cleveland are both strong.
I 100 percent disagree. Columbus is the definition of a street car town, the central city. Columbus' urban neighborhoods literally developed as street car neighborhoods. The Short North, Italian Village, German Village, Olde Town East, North Campus, The Hilltop. All of these areas developed as street car "suburbs" now urban neighborhoods.

Street cars are meant for lively, dense, urban areas only. They work best in moving people up and down retail/business strips. You are correct the street car is not for 60 percent of Columbus. It is not for suburban designed areas like Northland or even an older suburb like Clintonville, in my opinion.

A street car is for the middle of the city, the areas where people are active and moving around nearly all hours of the day, until 2am. The only areas I see it truely working are northern downtown to the short north to the OSU campus.

I do live on High St, in the northern short north, and would love to be able to move up the street to barnes and noble then back down to a shop in the short north without moving my car and looking for new parking. A streetcar comes more frequently than the bus and helps to add a needed infrastructure to a growing urban area.

A street car, or frequent mass transit, is necessary to the growth and development of urban/central city areas like an expressway to a suburban/exurban one. Point, some of Columbus' near downtown neighborhoods have become lively, dense, and growing enough to warrant the need for more efficient mass transit.

When incorporated into the correct areas/ like the short north/ a street car can increase the already high rate of urban development. A street car to a suburb or quiet suburban neighborhood is not necessary, these kind of areas could be serviced by long range high speed mass transit options, like High Speed Rail from Polaris to downtown.

Old 03-11-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
I 100 percent disagree. Columbus is the definition of a street car town, the central city. Columbus' urban neighborhoods literally developed as street car neighborhoods. The Short North, Italian Village, German Village, Olde Town East, North Campus, The Hilltop. All of these areas developed as street car "suburbs" now urban neighborhoods.

Street cars are meant for lively, dense, urban areas only. They work best in moving people up and down retail/business strips. You are correct the street car is not for 60 percent of Columbus. It is not for suburban designed areas like Northland or even an older suburb like Clintonville, in my opinion.

A street car is for the middle of the city, the areas where people are active and moving around nearly all hours of the day, until 2am. The only areas I see it truely working are northern downtown to the short north to the OSU campus.

I do live on High St, in the northern short north, and would love to be able to move up the street to barnes and noble then back down to a shop in the short north without moving my car and looking for new parking. A streetcar comes more frequently than the bus and helps to add a needed infrastructure to a growing urban area.

A street car, or frequent mass transit, is necessary to the growth and development of urban/central city areas like an expressway to a suburban/exurban one. Point, some of Columbus' near downtown neighborhoods have become lively, dense, and growing enough to warrant the need for more efficient mass transit.

When incorporated into the correct areas/ like the short north/ a street car can increase the already high rate of urban development. A street car to a suburb or quiet suburban neighborhood is not necessary, these kind of areas could be serviced by long range high speed mass transit options, like High Speed Rail from Polaris to downtown.
It is not needed! The amount of money we would waste and the fact that it would only run a short distance with few passengers is dumb. Why don't you just ride a bike!

Old 03-12-2009, 08:04 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,353,705 times
osuguy87, i tend to agree with you.. a streetcar would just duplicate current cota routes. it might add some character to the central city. columbus is a low density city, about 3000 people/sq.mile compared to cleveland with over 6000 people/sq.mile. even with almost a 10% increase in ridership, only 16.4 mil. riders used cota. compare that to almost 60 mil. riders on clevelands transit system. lightrail in columbus would be a waste of money. expecting a lightrail from polaris to downtown to be a benifit to the columbus metro is pie in the sky. you need some major population/work centers throughout your metro for a rail to be used. linking a few downtown residents to a shopping center is a joke. i think columbus has come along way in regards to improving its central city, and we enjoy our visits. however, lets not forget there is a reason why your getting ready for opening day,,, in the minor leagues.

Last edited by 1watertiger; 03-12-2009 at 08:19 AM..

Old 03-14-2009, 05:45 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,950,719 times
Before Columbus introduces trolleys, or light rail, it needs to encourage density along some of its main corridors. High Street from downtown to Clintonville in any other city would be chalked full of high-rise apartment buildings, but in Cbus, it's not. It's really something the city has to overcome. It's still growing, which is great, and it's not bearing the brunt of economic problems like other areas of Ohio, so there is the possibility for improvement. Columbus (the city proper) could theoretically be a city of 1 million people if they would ramp up density a bit in core areas.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Before Columbus introduces trolleys, or light rail, it needs to encourage density along some of its main corridors. High Street from downtown to Clintonville in any other city would be chalked full of high-rise apartment buildings, but in Cbus, it's not.
High St. between Clintonville and the Short North has seen dense infill occurring this entire decade. Even in the recession a 10 story condo building is under construction in the northern part of the short north and unused buildings have been turned into apartments and condos.

Also, while the city is not as dense as "cleveland" those stats are looking at the city as an aggregate, the city of Columbus includes 220 plus sq. miles. The actual central city of Columbus has very dense neighborhoods, and the Ohio State University district where the streetcars will run is one of the densest areas in the state.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:51 PM

455 posts, read 1,877,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post
High St. between Clintonville and the Short North has seen dense infill occurring this entire decade. Even in the recession a 10 story condo building is under construction in the northern part of the short north and unused buildings have been turned into apartments and condos.

Also, while the city is not as dense as "cleveland" those stats are looking at the city as an aggregate, the city of Columbus includes 220 plus sq. miles. The actual central city of Columbus has very dense neighborhoods, and the Ohio State University district where the streetcars will run is one of the densest areas in the state.
This is completely false.

Old 03-14-2009, 10:54 PM

Streetcreed I have come to the realization that you either work for mayor coleman or work for the company that would run the street cars. You really love such a terrible idea, it would be such a waste of money! Just ride cota, a bike or drive!

Old 03-15-2009, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Streetcreed I have come to the realization that you either work for mayor coleman or work for the company that would run the street cars. You really love such a terrible idea, it would be such a waste of money! Just ride cota, a bike or drive!
I do ride COTA to work and for some entertainment purposes. I have also ridden streetcars in Toronto, Portland, and Charlotte. I also live in the central city and do have global realization on the benefits of a reliable localized mass transit system. I think we are simply arguing a suburban VS urban perspective. I obviously have the latter. It may be a generational dilemma.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus