Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 03:18 PM

755 posts, read 2,492,104 times

Advertisements

Why are they so out-dated with their fixturing and grocery carts. I swear I hadn't unloaded a grocery cart in about a quarter of a century before moving here.

Let's get out of the seventies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 06:39 PM

455 posts, read 1,883,868 times
Cincinnati is worse. You would think Kroger, being headquartered here and all, would have flagship stores but they only give them a facelift out of the 70's every now and again. Ohhh... I long for a Giant Eagle where common grocery stores are concerned. Do they not have Fresh Market or Whole Foods up there any longer?

Old 04-14-2009, 02:48 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,669,874 times
Ya Giant Eagles are usually very nice in Columbus. I live in the northern part of the Short North, the issue is Kroger, their stores are outdated, often in mixed income areas. They have been renovating the stores in higher income areas. However, there is a decent Giant Eagle in Victorian Village and the beautiful full scale one in Grandview, just a 4 minute drive away.

Of course I can go to the great local north market in the Arena District in just a 7 minute bus ride or short drive. I know I actually take mass transit to get groceries, us urbanites do live in Columbus we are just not always the majority when the suburbs are taken into account.

My guess is that if you are only near a dingy grocery store option then you are most likely in a middle class suburban area or mixed income area that hasn't seen the influx of modern upscale grocery options that you have in Grandview, German Village, Upper Arlington, Worthington, Sawmill Rd., the NW side, etc..

I am sure you could find one of the better options if you just took a short drive to one of the areas, of course if you are on the east side you will be furthest from the locations that I have mentioned.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:33 AM

Streetcreed, I live in Upper Arlington. I shop the Grandview Giant Eagle. If that's your idea of a "beautiful full scale" grocery store, then I can only assume you haven't ever shopped in a good store.

Old 04-14-2009, 06:53 AM

146 posts, read 335,902 times
Weedydidi - wrong Giant Eagle, although I am not sure the one in Grandview is that much better. If fancy grocery shopping is your thing, I think the Giant Eagle on Sawmill and 161 is pretty snazzy, and that is just North of UA. The Whole Foods on Bethal is pretty nice too. That being said, I am not sure I have ever shopped in a "good store"

Old 04-14-2009, 06:57 AM

2,107 posts, read 5,081,326 times
Now if Publix came up here, whoa, bye bye Kroger. Now they have some nice stores. Granted, they are all new mainly due to the population boom down south and the need for new stores in new neighborhoods. Maybe that's why a majority of Columbus stores seem outdated?

Also, when is the Clintonville Giant Eagle ever going to be done with renovations? It seems like it's going nowhere.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:18 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,628,310 times
In response, I'd say stop being so pretentious and do it yourself! I mean holy moly, is it really that hard to unload your own grocery cart? What a pathetic world we are coming to, when simple duties like this are falling victim to laziness - and people wonder why we are obese.

On another note, in Cleveland there are many places that unload your own cart - I'm sure Columbus is the same.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:19 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,930,711 times
I've been the the Giant Eagle's on Sawmill and on Roberts???? in Hillard. They both looked brand new and nice to me, very similar to the new and remodeled GE's we have up here in the Y-town/Warren area, just a little bigger.

Old 04-14-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
In response, I'd say stop being so pretentious and do it yourself! I mean holy moly, is it really that hard to unload your own grocery cart? What a pathetic world we are coming to, when simple duties like this are falling victim to laziness - and people wonder why we are obese.

On another note, in Cleveland there are many places that unload your own cart - I'm sure Columbus is the same.
Well, I'm not obese, but thanks for your concern.

I see a lot more obese people around here than I did where shopping carts aren't following a model from the first half of the 20th Century, so...I don't think that unloading the grocery carts is saving people's lives. But that's not really the point....

The point is it's SO inefficient - a waste of time, space, and effort. I would MUCH rather bag my own items than double up efforts at the check out. All the floor space they waste on conveyor belts could be used for actual groceries.

Old 04-14-2009, 02:57 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,628,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrightflyer View Post
Now if Publix came up here, whoa, bye bye Kroger. Now they have some nice stores. Granted, they are all new mainly due to the population boom down south and the need for new stores in new neighborhoods. Maybe that's why a majority of Columbus stores seem outdated?

Also, when is the Clintonville Giant Eagle ever going to be done with renovations? It seems like it's going nowhere.

Actually Columbus is growing pretty well, I don't think how a grocery store looks can be directly associated with population.

Anway, I will give Florida that, Publix is great, but that is about one of the only services of Florida that is actually beyond good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus