Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 08:41 AM

1,657 posts, read 4,070,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoerin View Post
Tenzo, you seriously worry me. .
Compared to the rest of the people in Architecture school, I'm considered the chipper and optomistic one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2009, 11:33 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,672,214 times
Quote:
I recruit for one of the aforementioned retail companies and can tell you we do move many people from NY here who love it. I would say 7/10 really love Columbus and appreciate the easier lifestyle, great schools, low cost of living and highly educated population. The rest really do have culture shock and last about a year and move back to NYC. There will always be die hard New Yorkers that wouldn't want to live anywhere but.
AGREED. I am a very active Columbusite and a young professional with many friends who move here and stay and those who try it out for a while. Still both groups (about 7/10) say they like the relaxed lifestyle and that there is still a lot to do (especially for a person busy with work and looking for other singles.) We have a lot of singles here (due to transplants and students.)

Quote:
Columbus really is a hidden gem. It will never be a Chicago in terms of size or level of excitment, but lots of us (I happen to work side by side with 4 from Chicago and 2 from NYC) wouldn't leave if you paid us.
Yes Tenzo's comments are not representative of most of the city. This forum has never been representative of locals. It often attracts people from out of Columbus (from Cleveland or another midwestern city) that are jealous of Columbus' economic success or have misconceptions and little basis for their accusations.

Columbus is a hidden gem and one of the few cities not on the coast that actually has liveable/nice neighborhoods surrounding its downtown.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcreed View Post

Yes Tenzo's comments are not representative of most of the city. .
For this, I am thankful every day

Old 05-13-2009, 06:21 PM

83 posts, read 294,370 times
Tenzo's comments are hilarious, quite insightful, and often true. No, they are probably not representative of most of the city, because as has been stated before, most of Cowtown's residents are...well, just read the posts....I particularly like the Fashionable Mr. Haney post....

Old 05-13-2009, 08:53 PM

I often feel like Oliver on Green Achers.

Now the people in Hooterville were just fine before he came there. He came from New York and had a different view on the world that they didn't understand. But that's just fine with them, they are happy the way they are.

My point is that the Ziffels are not any more right or wrong than Oliver. They just have different opinions. But some of the things that came out of Mr. Haney's mouth, or the work ethic of the Monroe Brothers just seemed so strange to Oliver. I'm guessing that they thought Oliver working the field in his dress shirt and vest were just as weird. But just like the show, there is no reason to call people names.

Many of the people of Columbus are sure that their way is the best thing. Don't bother us with outside information because they know its right. And if you would just settle down, you would see how right it is and want to join them. Or am I describing pod people from 'invasion of the body snatchers'? I get the two confused a lot. Those pod people do seem happy in their little town.

The Mayberry comparison is something I didn't come up but a little comparison that natives here make. I thought it was quaint. I mean aren't we all a little attracted to that bucolic town?

The scary thing is there is a little 'children of the corn' in these people. The Christian bible thumpers who at one time voted their town dry. That's the same town that has the highest number of swingers and wife swappers. For those that don't believe me, take a look around at all the non-christian and Jewish places of worship. Look hard. Don't bother to look for the Buddhist Church. I went there. The window was boarded up and someone wrote 'Christ is the Answer' on the side of the place in red spray paint. It can get down right freaky around here.

Sorry, I got serious for a while.
Here is a picture of your alderman;

Old 05-13-2009, 10:19 PM

1,016 posts, read 1,938,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post

Now the people in Hooterville were just fine before he came there. He came from New York and had a different view on the world that they didn't understand. But that's just fine with them, they are happy the way they are.

My point is that the Ziffels are not any more right or wrong than Oliver. They just have different opinions. But some of the things that came out of Mr. Haney's mouth, or the work ethic of the Monroe Brothers just seemed so strange to Oliver. I'm guessing that they thought Oliver working the field in his dress shirt and vest were just as weird. But just like the show, there is no reason to call people names.

Many of the people of Columbus are sure that their way is the best thing. Don't bother us with outside information because they know its right. And if you would just settle down, you would see how right it is and want to join them. Or am I describing pod people from 'invasion of the body snatchers'? I get the two confused a lot. Those pod people do seem happy in their little town.

The Mayberry comparison is something I didn't come up but a little comparison that natives here make. I thought it was quaint. I mean aren't we all a little attracted to that bucolic town?

The scary thing is there is a little 'children of the corn' in these people. The Christian bible thumpers who at one time voted their town dry. That's the same town that has the highest number of swingers and wife swappers. For those that don't believe me, take a look around at all the non-christian and Jewish places of worship. Look hard. Don't bother to look for the Buddhist Church. I went there. The window was boarded up and someone wrote 'Christ is the Answer' on the side of the place in red spray paint. It can get down right freaky around here.

How about sticking with the Thread Subject.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chichappens View Post
How about sticking with the Thread Subject.
good gosh, can't you read what I wrote?

Columbus is about as hip as Hottersville.

and conversations evolve, kinda like, well.... not Columbus.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:44 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post

I assume you don't get out much. Your postings about the city give an inaccurate perspective to folks evaluating a move to Columbus.

While not as "current" as some locations in Los Angeles, New York or Chicago, Columbus is sufficiently "with it". I would say that upscale fashion tends to take awhile to come to Columbus, but it does to most of the US too. It also has significant cultural diversity, not at all a bible thumping type of environment.

Columbus is fine, the Hooterville stuff only resides inside of your head. You aren't objectively looking at the city, especially in comparison to other possible locations. Rather, you are baselining it against your perception of an "ideal" that would exist in very, very few locations.

Last edited by NewToCA; 05-14-2009 at 10:16 AM..

Old 05-14-2009, 10:56 AM

1,279 posts, read 4,672,214 times
Quote:
I live in Columbus and know no one that compares it to Mayberry. Columbus is the 15th largest city in the US and has nothing to do with Mayberry. People may be more friendly here than NYC or Chicago. Yes and that is a good thing!

Tenzo I seriously think that you must live on the far south side. The only people I know that seem "backward" would be the far south side and this is not representative of Columbus. And even the far south side is not Mayberry it is more poor white wannabe Eminem (whatever) types.

Old 05-14-2009, 02:36 PM

25 posts, read 136,421 times
Default Columbus vs Cleveland: The Hip Factor

I am no expert but I am inclined to think that each city has its Hip and Non-Hip areas. I also think that "Hip" is very relative to the experience to the person calling something hip or saying that something is not hip.

I lived in Columbus at one point an found it adequeate for my needs--where I was at that particular point in my life. I go back to visit from time to time and I am always amazed at how much more progressive and diverse (one of my definitions of hip) it has gotten. Sometimes I even entertain the thought of stopping myself from saying that I would never go back there under any circumstance and have tried to be a little more open on the subject (Although it would take more than a notion for me to leave San Francisco).

I have also visited Cleveland on a few occasions and I find it to be a little more edgier in some places than Columbus but that edginess appears to come at a price.

If you held a gun to my head and made me choose one or the other, I would have to say I would choose Columbus.

As a sidepoint maybe the original poster might want to do some research on America's Creative Class Cities. I think understanding that concept would help narrow it down and it should definitely be included in the definition of hip.

http://www.creativeclass.com/

http://threehegemons.tripod.com/thre...blog/id26.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creative_class

Last edited by EclecticBohemian; 05-14-2009 at 02:50 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus